Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
Harpkatt

Default 32 Ford Knobby Tires

Has anyone found a set of knobby tires for 32 Ford Wheels? I have a 30/31 Doodlebug that from the little history I have on the vehicle last had USED tires installed in 1969. They are ROCK solid. They are more like hard plastic than rubber at this point. It mostly used now for picking apples and running around the field. The car cannot get up the paved driveway in wet weather and it's not what you would call steep. Probably less than 18 degrees. I'm looking for some new rubber. Any suggestions? The current tires resemble these but with any inkling of tread in the middle worn away. Ignore the modern Rim

Weirder still even though all of the rims are 32' one tires somehow has a different diameter than the others. I think its got a 17" tire on there.

Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 32 Ford Knobby Tires

maybe some non directional military tires?
alanwoodieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
cas3

First, you measure a rim where the bead sits, not the overall diameter. Example, a 16" rim for a 16" tire would measure about 17" + . Next, a "knobby" is not a snow tire like you show. real knobby's are still made from Coker, but only in 16" sizes I believe. If you only use it on site, why not an agricultural tire? My old Kubota uses a 700/16 traction tire on the front. Now, about the "18" 32 wheels", is that really whats on there? On a model A ? If so, ford wire wheels in several sizes will fit your hubs...maybe, can we see the hubs?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #4
Harpkatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
First, you measure a rim where the bead sits, not the overall diameter. Example, a 16" rim for a 16" tire would measure about 17" + . Next, a "knobby" is not a snow tire like you show. real knobby's are still made from Coker, but only in 16" sizes I believe. If you only use it on site, why not an agricultural tire? My old Kubota uses a 700/16 traction tire on the front. Now, about the "18" 32 wheels", is that really whats on there? On a model A ? If so, ford wire wheels in several sizes will fit your hubs...maybe, can we see the hubs?
You are correct in saying that is not knobby and I agree, Just showing what is there now. Unfortunately the vehicle isn't near me but I do remember looking at the tires and seeing different diameters despite all tires being the same brand.

Stock Model A Hubs with 32 Ford Rims Most certainly. I'm Much better with A's than B's/18s. I will look at the Kubota tires.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #5
cas3

For fun, an example of my mighty 50 year old kubota hard at work like usual . These tires are available new, 16" for sure, never looked for others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0934.JPG (144.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
flatford8

Try this site: https://www.millertire.com/antique-t...ires/.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
ronn

I had petrified tires on my 07 model R
used a sawzall to cut them off..................

another thought- 15 inch rims for your doodlebug would be easy and inexpensive to bolt
on and buy tires for. I recently bought a 29 roadster and 15" mercury rims were on it.

I have snow tires in 16 on the back of a "hot rod" A cabrio. One of the tires is dry rotted and I am facing the same problem. I will probably just bolt on a regular set of tires. Like the look of the snow tires for TROG on the beach though....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Reds34

You would probably be better off getting some 15" or 16" rims that you can get "modern" tires on. I have a set of 16" snow tires you could have for a small fee if you want to come up to CT to pick them up. They are weather cracked, but still have a bunch of tread left.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
Harpkatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Wow how have I never heard of this site. Much easier to navigate than the others too.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25 PM   #10
Harpkatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post
You would probably be better off getting some 15" or 16" rims that you can get "modern" tires on. I have a set of 16" snow tires you could have for a small fee if you want to come up to CT to pick them up. They are weather cracked, but still have a bunch of tread left.

Red
I appreciate the offer, but my brothers and I are looking for the "look" SO any old tire won't do. Good thought on the other wheels though I have a pair of ford pattern 15"s, a possibility
Old 12-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #11
Tinker

Think Coker has them. But maybe why you are asking for alternatives. I run 16 - 700 military ndt 6ply on my truck. Love them. Lot more options with a 16" wheel

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...and-truck.html

Looks like the only 17" tire they have is a 17-750. big tire.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/750-...on-10-ply.html

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Last edited by Tinker; 12-03-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #12
cas3

Switching to 16" wheels would open up lots of options. I like the real knobbys, had them on my hotrod model A roadster.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #13
v8nut

I have two NOS "old school" 18" knobbys and two used ones. I don't know if it is practical to ship them. They are quite heavy. Jim in San Jose.
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote