Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
denniskliesen
Senior Member
 
denniskliesen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 675
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

I think it's sometimes a hit and miss on new parts for a 7 tooth. I replaced the steering shaft with the worm gear as one piece in my early 29 and was able to get the play out of it. The lower bearing housing new reproduction was machined way off, the flange was too thick. I decided to reuse my original with some help cleaning it up and it works fine. The repo housing could be used with the help of a good machinist by turning the face of the flange to remove the amount of the thrust end play and place the worm gear centered over the sector shaft.
Edit: I just thought of something else. Did you put the thrust washer in between the housing and the sector shaft? Another thing to keep in mind is the new thrust bearings on the sector shaft are the same bearing used on the front axle king pins. I've read where they are not the same thickness as the original thrust bearings and need to be shimmed to get close to original thickness. I remember having to shim them when I replaced my king pins.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 02-17-2019 at 02:31 PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
pinball73
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: North mo.
Posts: 71
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I think it's sometimes a hit and miss on new parts for a 7 tooth. I replaced the steering shaft with the worm gear as one piece in my early 29 and was able to get the play out of it. The lower bearing housing new reproduction was machined way off, the flange was too thick. I decided to reuse my original with some help cleaning it up and it works fine. The repo housing could be used with the help of a good machinist by turning the face of the flange to remove the amount of the thrust end play and place the worm gear centered over the sector shaft.
Edit: I just thought of something else. Did you put the thrust washer in between the housing and the sector shaft? Another thing to keep in mind is the new thrust bearings on the sector shaft are the same bearing used on the front axle king pins. I've read where they are not the same thickness as the original thrust bearings and need to be shimmed to get close to original thickness. I remember having to shim them when I replaced my king pins.
I replaced every thing other than the case & the bottom plate where the lower bushing is. the problem seems to be the width of the teeth on either the worm gear out the cross shaft or both. when you have them both out & in your hand you can see the slack between the two. I am not talking about a lot of slack, but 3 or 4000 of a inch. but when it is all to gather & your hand is on the searing wheel it adds up to way too much slack. it has to be in the new reproduction gears I think! at least this is all I can come up with.
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
denniskliesen
Senior Member
 
denniskliesen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 675
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Oh now I think I understand what you are saying. The tooth bottoms before it makes contact with the other teeth. Like a fan belt that is too narrow for the pulley. Did you have to ream or hone your new bushings for the steering shaft?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #24
Magicbox51
Senior Member
 
Magicbox51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 448
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Pinball, it sounds like you are going down the proverbial rabbit hole.
__________________
-Bill G
Magicbox51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #25
pinball73
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: North mo.
Posts: 71
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
Pinball, it sounds like you are going down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Yes I think I am & the rabbit done gone. till I figure out just what I am going to do I think I will put it back on the car, just for now! may either try to find a set of original Henry gears or a two tooth sector which I am finding out are both hard to find.
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,254
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

I'll bet Bert's has what you need. I stopped in on my way home from Arizona last Tuesday, and Steve has tons of original parts. 1-800-321-1931
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #27
100IH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Idaho
Posts: 829
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Pinball73. Clarity is everything in a discussion like this. A good subject and good responses. You need to get a grip on how to express the measurements. On line 22 you say 4000 as a measurement. If the missing desimal is supposed to be before the 4, your getting near 1/2". I'm sure that's not what you mean. If the decimal was just after the 4, you would be indicating 4". even worse. It's all about the zeros and then the decinal. Four thousandths of an inch is written .004 More zeros after implies that the level of accuracy is Infinitely more exact like Extremely precise. 3 zeros says you are using some sort of electron microscope and reading something like a millionth inch. So here goes, 1 thousandth inch is .001, 10 thousandths inch is .010, A great thing to learn and unless folks haven' been a machinist, it's something foreign and new. Just an attempt to help the discussion along. Happy to help and good luck with the box.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #28
larrys40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Charles , Missouri
Posts: 1,653
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball73 View Post
Yes I think I am & the rabbit done gone. till I figure out just what I am going to do I think I will put it back on the car, just for now! may either try to find a set of original Henry gears or a two tooth sector which I am finding out are both hard to find.

Looks like you are In Missouri, as am I. I dropped you a PM. Call me when you get a chance. I am also in the Model A News, restorer magazine.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #29
Mulletwagon
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 55
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Did my 31 Tudor come with a seven or two tooth ? I have about 30 degrees of play on the wheel. Is this too much or typical ? I can still steer between the goal posts but it takes some rocking.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,254
Default Re: Stearing sector problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Did my 31 Tudor come with a seven or two tooth ? I have about 30 degrees of play on the wheel. Is this too much or typical ? I can still steer between the goal posts but it takes some rocking.
Your 31 came new with a 2 tooth steering, and 30* is definitely too much play. I like about an inch or less at the steering wheel rim.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.