Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
joshhirst13

Default Getting my 1931 Model A Coupe go start

Hey guys,
I just picked up my Model A Coupe a few weeks ago & Im having issues getting it started. I can't even get it to turn over or make a noise. It's got a freshly charged battery on it, I removed the positive/ground cable & used a wire brush to clean up the contact. I also cleaned up the contact under the starter switch & negative battery cable connection to the starter switch. I turn on the ignition switch, push the clutch in, trans in neutral, push the starter switch pedal & I get absolutely nothing. The previous owner installed blinkers, which I get power to, as well as power to the headlights & tail lights. I'm not sure where to go from there. Maybe new battery cables? Maybe new ignition coil? I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to electrical stuff. I have a voltage tester, just don't know what to check. Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
joshhirst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
joshhirst13

Default Re: Getting my 1931 Model A Coupe go start

Also if you guys tell me how to post pictures I'd be happy to put a couple pics of my car.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
PRG999

The starter may be jammed up. With the power off, Put the car in 3rd gear get out and push the car to get it to rock back and forth. I cant recall if you can hear the starter disengage or not. But if you can get the car rocken it should free up. Then try to start it.

PG
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Dbbc

Obviously issues with the starter. Is the battery fully charged? maybe to low to kick the starter.
Just to isolate the problem, have you try to remove the spark plug and lay one of them on the block and hand crank it to see if you have spark?
Dbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRG999 View Post
The starter may be jammed up. With the power off, Put the car in 3rd gear get out and push the car to get it to rock back and forth. I cant recall if you can hear the starter disengage or not. But if you can get the car rocken it should free up. Then try to start it.

PG
I've tried this, but for some reason I can't seem to get it into 3rd gear. When I think it's in gear I get out & push & the car just rolls like it's in neutral. Seems to slide into all of the other gears with no issues. Maybe I wrong. Maybe I should just pull the starter & bench test it???
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbbc View Post
Obviously issues with the starter. Is the battery fully charged? maybe to low to kick the starter.
Just to isolate the problem, have you try to remove the spark plug and lay one of them on the block and hand crank it to see if you have spark?
No I haven't tried this yet. I will. I've never ysed a hand crank so how fast do I need to crank it to get spark & how hard should it be to crank?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
joshhirst13

& yes the battery is fully charged.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

If it won't go into 3rd try putting it in 2nd and rock it back and forth, then try starter. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
If it won't go into 3rd try putting it in 2nd and rock it back and forth, then try starter. FWIW
Paul in CT
Should I hear something or feel something when I do this. What am I looking for?
Thanks
Josh
Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Brian SATX

You should hear a clunk when the starter releases. You may have to rock it 6-10 times. Did it start when you got it? Check to see if there is a master cut off someplace. Also, turn your headlights on. IF they work, it is most likely a starter issue.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SATX View Post
You should hear a clunk when the starter releases. You may have to rock it 6-10 times. Did it start when you got it? Check to see if there is a master cut off someplace. Also, turn your headlights on. IF they work, it is most likely a starter issue.
I put it in second gear & was able to push the car backwards with no clunking. Just sounds like compression of the motor turning. No the car didn't run when I got it. Still not starting. I was thinking the same thing about a cut off switch, but can't seem to find one. The guy that did have it before me did do a bunch of extra wiring. Front & rear blinkers, secondary horn, he has to coils mounted on the firewall. One has nothing going to it. Not sure what that's all about.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SATX View Post
And yes. Headlights, tail lights, blinkers, horn all work.
Thank to everyone for all of your help. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 PM   #13
cpf240

Question: If you turn the lights headlights on, so that you can see them from inside the car, do they dim when the starter button is depressed?

This would tell you if the starter is drawing any sort of load.

Some have said that if it has the fuse mounted to the starter, that sometimes the screws used could be too long, causing issues with the starter.

Just a thought...
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
J Franklin

Time to either give it a jump with another battery or do a bench test. If your test device will show continuity or ohms, double check the connections and make sure the starter case is grounded well.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #15
cpf240

Another silly thought, if this is your first A... is the right pedal being pushed for the starter? It can be easy to mistake the accelerator or footrest for the starter button/pedal.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #16
J Franklin

Another silly thought, maybe the starter switch is faulty.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
abachman3

I too think the starter switch may be the issue. Remove the switch (shiny piece on top of starter) and then jumper the battery cable to the copper disk on the starter unit. The starter should spin if it is alright.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhirst13 View Post
Also if you guys tell me how to post pictures I'd be happy to put a couple pics of my car.
Thanks
To post pictures, click on the Go advanced box, then click on the paper clip icon and you're in business. Simple.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #19
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abachman3 View Post
I too think the starter switch may be the issue. Remove the switch (shiny piece on top of starter) and then jumper the battery cable to the copper disk on the starter unit. The starter should spin if it is alright.
I'll be doing this with the negative cable/terminal while leaving the positive ground connected to the vehicle correct?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
Another silly thought, if this is your first A... is the right pedal being pushed for the starter? It can be easy to mistake the accelerator or footrest for the starter button/pedal.
Yes. I know I'm using the correct pedal. Push rod goes through firewall & pushes on the starter switch.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
Will N

Is there a battery cut off switch installed? Some guys would hide where they put the switch, like on the rear motor mount, or on the seat riser. Follow the paths of the cables coming off the battery to see if there is a switch somewhere.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #22
100IH

AND be sure that the trans is in NEUTRAL before jumping the starter switch. Also OK to leave the ignition switch off. Separate systems.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #23
100IH

No battery cutoff, head lights and horn work.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #24
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abachman3 View Post
Ok guys. I removed the starter switch & used battery cables to jump the starter. When I did this the starter made a very quote click & that is it. I would have to wait a couple seconds before getting it to click again. Like I said it was very very quite. Almost nothing. I've been keeping my battery connected to the charger & the charger says the battery is good and when I check the battery with my voltage tester it shows 5.99 volts & goes down to about 5.74 volts after 5 min of messing with it. Is it possible the battery is still bad ( Not enough juice) or is this a definite starter issue? I'm just trying to narrow down to the exact problem instead of throwing a bunch of money at the problem.
Thanks for everything.
Josh
Old 02-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #25
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...Check with the 'Model A Restorer's Club and the Model A Ford Club of America and see if either club has a local chapter near you. If so contact them and they will always have a member come over and give you a hand. They will be motivated to get your car running and they will have a new member in you. Win-Win. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #26
J Franklin

3 more bolts to remove and you can try the starter out of the car and see what is happening. You will have to remove it anyway since it is not working.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #27
KenCoupe

When you tried to jump the starter with the battery cable, did you notice if the copper strip in the starter switch and/or the button that the copper strip contacts is corroded? I have had a situation where they have been corroded and the starter would not turn until the corrosion was cleaned up.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

A 6 volt battery in good condition should show about 6.3 to 6.4 volts, especially right after the charger has been on it. You'll get a higher reading from the charger just being on it, but if you turn the lights on for 15 seconds, then turn them off and read the voltage, you should have 6.3 or close to it.

Try hand cranking the engine to be sure the starter drive isn't jammed in the flywheel teeth.
Tom Wesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #29
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
3 more bolts to remove and you can try the starter out of the car and see what is happening. You will have to remove it anyway since it is not working.
Very true. This is about to happen right after the headlight test. I might do it tonight since it will be dark & easier to see the lights get dimmer.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:10 AM   #30
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
When you tried to jump the starter with the battery cable, did you notice if the copper strip in the starter switch and/or the button that the copper strip contacts is corroded? I have had a situation where they have been corroded and the starter would not turn until the corrosion was cleaned up.
I actually pulled the switch off & cleaned both with a wire wheel yesterday. I also cleaned all of the battery cable contacts to make sure I had a good ground/connection as wel. After putting it all back together I still had the same result.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #31
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A 6 volt battery in good condition should show about 6.3 to 6.4 volts, especially right after the charger has been on it. You'll get a higher reading from the charger just being on it, but if you turn the lights on for 15 seconds, then turn them off and read the voltage, you should have 6.3 or close to it.

Try hand cranking the engine to be sure the starter drive isn't jammed in the flywheel teeth.
I will try the light tonight on a fresh charged battery & report back. I have tried cranking the hand crank & it turns the motor freely. I'm assuming that if the starter were stuck it wouldn't crank freely. It basically feels like compression when I use the hand crank.
Thanks for everyone's input. It has all been great! I'm thinking I'm either gonna need a new battery or a new starter.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #32
midgetracer

I think the battery may be toast. 5.99 dropping to 5.75 Volts for a battery may be too little amps left to run the starter. as Tom said, you should have 6.3 volts on a fully charged battery. Check the voltage drop when you depress the starter switch.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #33
joshhirst13

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I think the battery may be toast. 5.99 dropping to 5.75 Volts for a battery may be too little amps left to run the starter. as Tom said, you should have 6.3 volts on a fully charged battery. Check the voltage drop when you depress the starter switch.
Ok guys. I just finished up with the light test. I also installed a new positive cable because the old one was garbage. Here's what I found. After putting the freshly charged battery of 6.2 volts in the car & turning the headlights on for 15 seconds the bolts went down to 5.74. After that I tried pushing starter button & obviously I got nothing. I checked the colts it was still holding at 5.74. I then turned headlights on for 15 seconds again. They did look dimmer. The battery still held at 5.74. So no drop once it got to 5.74, but as you guys are saying that with that quick if a drop the battery is probably toast. Do you guys recommend a new battery first & if that doesn't work, then pull the starter & bench test it. It's prob not a bad idea to have a new battery anyways.
Thanks for all your guys help. I'm at work the next couple days so I won't be able to do anything else until Sat.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Josh
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Battery is what I think is wrong, so try another battery, or take this one to be checked.

If you need to replace brushes, the ground pair are easy to replace, and they usually wear out twice as fast as the pair connected to the field coils, which need to be cut and soldered.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #35
Bob C

What is your voltage when you hit the starter with the lights on??

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #36
Farrell In Vancouver

I would remove and bench test the starter. While you have it out check the mounting surfaces to see the starter and flywheel surfaces are clean, as every bit of ground will help.
The three mounting bolts should be cleaned up as well. If you can get the starter to jump on the bench with a 12 volt, you can probably assume your six volt is toast and needs to be swapped out. One thing the starter switches hate is low voltage and will cause the contacts to weld solid if strained enough.
I think you're close, keep poking!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #37
1crosscut

Josh I think that you may be at the point it would be a benefit to have a shop that services and rebuilds starters take a look at it. I'm assuming you are near Los Angeles. I did a search on the internet and found a company that rebuilds starters and alternators. I don't know if they are anywhere close to you. If not I'm sure they could recommend a shop nearer to you.

T & M AUTO ELECTRIC INC.
Address:

13110 Saticoy st. Unit A North Hollywood, CA. 91605

Phone:

818-982-6215 / 818-232-1325

Hours:

Monday - Friday 8am-5pm Saturday 8am-3pm

It'll feel better when it quits hurting.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #38
J Franklin

Don't buy a new battery or take the starter to a shop until it is on the bench and tested with your battery and a separate battery of 6 or 12 volt. maybe you have a bad ground cable, battery, switch, or starter. You will soon at least have a direction to go. 3 short bolts are all you need to remove it! It sounds like the battery you have is not exactly OK but it should turn the motor on the bench.

Last edited by J Franklin; 03-01-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #39
michael a

For crying out loud get that starter off of there the suspense is killing me been watching this for 2 days

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #40
Beater

personally before I took the starter off id try boosting it
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #41
jax55

Battery sounds questionable, but could be a bad armature or spot in the armature too.
I would bench check the starter with 12 volts (since it is already out), see if that will wake it up. If not, looks like the started is toast, and time to take it apart or take it to a rebuilder to be rebuilt.
If it was not running when you got it, could be any number of things...some as simple as lack of use for some period of time. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #42
joshhirst13

Hey guys. I agree & it looks like we are all in consensus about pulling the starter & bench testing it. I'm at work until Saturday, but I will be doing this on Saturday as soon as I've got a few spare moments. Sorry to keep you guys in suspense. Not my intention. Ha ha. Stay tuned for the next episode.
Thanks again for full of your help & interest fellas. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #43
Ernie Vitucci

Good Evening all...I had this happen last week. I put a starter back on a car with one bolt that was slightly too long and when I tightened it up it jammed the fly wheel. I thought it was the battery, but then I took a crank and I could not turn the engine with the crank. I took the plugs out and still could not turn the engine over. I took the starter back off and the engine turned over just fine. FINALLY I compared the bolts for the starter and saw that one was too long. I put the starter back on with three short bolts, put the plugs back in, took the crank out and stepped on the starter and the damn thing started! Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:45 AM   #44
joshhirst13

Ok guys. Sorry for the long delay. I finally had a chance to pull the starter. Took a little bit more than 3 bolts. Ha ha. Had to disconnect to the switch & I also had to remove the coolant neck on the side of the motor. I couldn't get it out without doing so. Oh well. Anyways I finally got it out & tried it again with the "Freshly charged" 6 volt battery I have & it moved about an inch. So then I took it to a 12 volt battery & jumped it & the starter came to life. Spun very smooth, fast, & quite. Looks like it was the battery. So that will be my next purchase. Now I guess I can see if I can get this thing to run.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:32 AM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

I remove the oil dipstick, but the coolant inlet should not have to be removed to remove the starter.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #46
katy

Are you sure your charger is working well enough?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #47
1crosscut

I recently removed the lower water inlet to get a starter out. The starter had what looked like a "modern" bendix that was much larger. Probably could have gotten it out without removing it but didn't want to struggle with it as the block was shot anyhow. Will put the starter on before the water inlet when the engine goes back in.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #48
Brian SATX

Take the battery to Advance Auto, O'Reilly's etc and they will test it and charge it for free and then give you a reading.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:25 AM   #49
joshhirst13

Hey guys. I bought a new battery today. Installed it, pushed the couch in, hit the starter button & she turned over a bunch of times. It was the old battery. Weird how my charger would charge it & show fully charged as well as the volt meter showing over 6v. Oh well. It's all water under the bridge now. Time to get some fresh fuel, change the oil, flush the radiator/add coolant, then see if I can get her to fire up. You guys have any other suggestions or things I should do before attempting to start her up? Also, how should I handle or go about cleaning the gas tank.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Josh
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #50
J Franklin

I wouldn't add coolant besides water until you are sure the head gasket is sealed properly. In your area it is not real necessary. You can flush fresh gasoline out to see if the tank is dirty. And now you know how assumptions can cause you grief!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #51
joshhirst13

Hey guys. I've finally had some time to mess with my Coupe today. I finally figured out that the coil was bad. Interestingly enough, whoever had the car 2 owners ago mounted a second coil to th firewall. Not sure why he did this, but as luck would have it the second coil created spark. I put everything back together & tried firing it up. Took a little coaxing, but finally got it to fire & had it running (super rough, but running) for about a min. Turned it off,then I noticed that there was oil or gas that came out of a couple of the spark plug holes. I tried to start it again, with no luck. I think plugs soaked now. Any ideas what would cause this? Any help is always appreciated.
Thanks
Josh
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #52
burner31

Easy way for pics:
Click the "blue post reply" lower left bottom of page, when text box opens, in the top middle of the bar you will see a "paperclip" click that, a window will open "manage attachments" click "choose file" then pick your picture, after you picked up to seven pics click the top "upload" on the right hand side of the text box, wait for it to upload.
You must type something, anything into the text box message, scroll down to see "preview post" at bottom of your text box, you should see your message as it will appear when you post, if you like it click "submit reply" to post.
Easy-cheesy
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #53
joshhirst13

Hopefully this pic will post. Said one of the two pics had an error.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #54
joshhirst13

Picture attempt #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2693.jpg (50.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #55
Ruth

Quote:
Picture attempt #2
Your picture came thru OK. Interesting that they installed head "bolts" instead of the original studs and nuts.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #56
1crosscut

Check to make sure the metal gasket is on the spark plugs and that they are tight. Probably time for a new set of plugs by the look of it.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #57
burner31

Have to watch the picture size, if they are to big they wont go
Old 03-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #58
joshhirst13

Yep. That was it. I was in such a rush to try & start the car after removing the plugs & cleaning them that I forgot to tighten them down. Ughhhhh.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #59
burner31

So you got the engine running now, yes?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #60
Brendan

Quote:
Should I hear something or feel something when I do this. What am I looking for?
Thanks
Josh
yup, a clunk,

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #61
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Your picture came thru OK. Interesting that they installed head "bolts" instead of the original studs and nuts.
Yes, Definitely NOT the way to go. Bolts use the coarse thread in the block so torquing them to 55 ftlb, won't give the same downward pressure on the head as the finer thread on the top of studs. Unless they are torqued to way more than 55, expect a leaky head gasket.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #62
Big hammer

Standard torque for course threaded nuts and bolts is less than fine threads. Which makes me believe that course threads put more pressure on what is being secured. If the bolts holding the where torqued to 55, then it may be over torqued. I’ve wondered why course threaded studs in the block and fine threaded nuts
Old 03-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #63
joshhirst13

Yes. I got it running. Thats interesting that you guys are talking about the head gasket. I actually noticed some smoke coming out different areas of the head gasket & also seemed like the gasket was bubbling from heat, almost like a gasket wasn't used but instead some kind of tar. I don't know???? I was going to pull the head & install a copper head gasket. Would this be the way to go & also I'm assuming you guys are saying I should replace the bolts with studs & nuts. If that is the case can I replace them with studs & nuts from an 8ba flathead. I just so happen to have a whole flathead motors worth of studs from a flathead I took apart that was bad.
Thanks fellas
Josh
Old 03-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #64
J Franklin

Buy new studs and nuts they are cheap insurance. When placing them just run them into the block slightly snug with some blue LockTight on the threads. When the head is off make sure it is good condition and perfectly flat.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #65
katy

Quote:
Yep. That was it. I was in such a rush to try & start the car after removing the plugs & cleaning them that I forgot to tighten them down. Ughhhhh.
Thanks
Many years ago an old Mexican told me: "Slow down and get finished sooner".
It works.

Last edited by katy; 03-29-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Addition
katy is offline   Reply With Quote