Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #41
wrndln

Default Re: Painting Wheels - Spin Speed

Ross,
I don't think you could use the lug holes to spin a rim. Since the lug holes are offset from the center, you would have a hard time spinning the wheel as it would always end up with the dowel in the upper lug hole. Maybe I am missing something, but it would seem hard to use lug holes to spin a wheel. I agree that it would be nice to not get paint in the lug holes so the paint didn't chip when the lug nuts are tightened.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #42
Hunter

Rusty,
I did just as Brent suggested to spin the wheel. This whole deal is easier to do than I and others have made it appear.

It is one of the many tasks that seems difficult, but after you do one wheel you will wonder why you put so much time into thinking about it.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #43
B_man_Al

Since I like complexity without spending any money, I made a spinner out of an old noisy front wheel drive wheel bearing hub I had in the garage. It can be easily mounted to a base of your choice using the mounting holes on the fixed side of the hub.

If the stud pattern is wrong, it can be adapted using a wood/metal plate to do the transition.

It works well, and can be mounted either vertically or horizontally. It also runs true, is very easy to turn and very strong. It can also be used as a rotisarary (sp?) for anything you might want to paint while rotating it.
B_man_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #44
RonC

Has anyone successfully dipped wheels in paint versus spraying?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #45
theHIGHLANDER

Ok, my gig. I used 2 old bar stool spinning bases and 4 5gallon buckets (6 wheels). I put 2 wheels at a time up for spray on the bar stools, face 1st, then flipped to the finish side. Spinning? As I need it, when I need it. Yes, I got some paint on my pinkys as I did the whole job. When 2 wheels were done they got pulled off the bases and set on 5gal buckets to dry and 2 others went up. I handled the wheels in the mount area, proud to leave my pud-beater prints on my work for some archeologist to find in the future. If the bucket would touch a finished area I set a metal 1gal paint can on top of it. I found the trick to be to get all the hard stuff 1st then spray the wheel as a whole for a fine final finish. You think Model A wheels are a challenge? Try a 33-36 Packard wire wheel. You A restorers got it easy...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote