Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
Kube

Default Rust Oleum spray cans

Am I the only guy that has issues with Rust Oleum spray can nozzles clogging?
It seems since they changed the nozzle design a few years ago, I throw more cans away than I am able to utilize.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
philipswanson

Default Re: Rust Oleum spray cans

If you are buying them at Home Depot, you should be. Just take the half used can back to HD return desk and they will give you a new can. Done it a coupla times with no problem. Don't forget to clear the nozzle after each use. That will help but not resolve the problem.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Will D

I have the same issue. Not sure if its the little tube coming out of the can or the tip. I've had some that I've never used, only a month or 2 old and nothing comes out even after trying different tips. The tip pops or shoots off after depressing it but nothing comes out. I don't get it, as I can shoot compressed air thru the tip but no paint....
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
mhsprecher

As you can see you are not alone. I suspect that at least half of every can is never used. What a waste.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

I tossed 2 out last week after trying for a hour to get them to work. They were sitting on the shelf for a year and I decided to get them cleared or toss them.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Ross F-1

Just the opposite, specifically with Rustoleum "Professional" enamels. I just finished off a can I've used off and on for 4 - 5 yrs, worked flawlessly right to the bottom of the can. The instructions say nothing about inverting the can and spraying paint out of the tube, just "wipe paint off nozzle". I've done that and it sprays right away next time I pick it up (months later). Aside from that, it is great paint, very durable and perfect for chassis parts.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8838/100114318
Old 09-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Just the opposite, specifically with Rustoleum "Professional" enamels. I just finished off a can I've used off and on for 4 - 5 yrs, worked flawlessly right to the bottom of the can. The instructions say nothing about inverting the can and spraying paint out of the tube, just "wipe paint off nozzle". I've done that and it sprays right away next time I pick it up (months later). Aside from that, it is great paint, very durable and perfect for chassis parts.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8838/100114318
4-5yr old can....Maybe you have the old style nozzle?
Old 09-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

funny you should comment, just threw away four rust-o-leum cans. I have started using the red primer from my local true value hardware, it is their brand never have had a failure and it is rustoleum in a different can
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Russ/40

Ever since I started storing all my spray cans on their sides, I no longer have any problems. I also buy the Walmart carb cleaner and use the tube sprayer to flush through the paint nozzel before I put the can away. I also use the cleaner on my spray guns.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
swedishsteel

I have found that they need to be shaken a LONG time, with theory being they have sat for a long time on a store shelf and all the pigment settles to the bottom, just like in a gallon can of paint. I have a vibratory parts polisher with a bowl and when I'm going to use a can of spray paint I shake it in that for several minutes, the longer the better. Since I started doing that I've had few problems with clogging. Just yesterday I used up several partial cans on the interior of a '67 Mustang body--it's a coat of many colors but it will all be covered and I just wanted a coat of paint on the steel--and none of the old cans plugged up. Just for insurance I keep several nozzles sitting in a closed container submerged in lacquer thinner.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Clem Clement

One time I called them. Nothing happened. I lose a lot of paint
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Hal Beatty

Yeah, have had bad luck with this brand since they changed the nozzle design. Can never get more than half a can sprayed before they plug up...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #13
38bill

Just went through this a couple of months ago. I contacted RO customer service and they sent me a dozen new nozzles for free. They also included a set of instructions that the nozzles should be stored in solvent after use. They recommended several types and I'm using acetone. I have not even had to use one of the new nozzles because because the nozzles stored in solvent work like new every time.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
4-5yr old can....Maybe you have the old style nozzle?
Couldn't say, this is what they look like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9100002.jpg (47.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
ursus

One word: Krylon
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #16
papanomad

setting the can in the sun for half an hour before use helps and clean nozzle with lacquer thinner.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
wga

x2 acetone or lacquer thinner
Old 09-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #18
Aarongriffey

Lacquer thinner.......? Oh ya, I remember that.
Our paint store In Oakland tried to get me some lacquer thinner about 10 years ago but they couldn’t.
Last week our local hardware store told me they can’t get mineral spirits anymore.
It’s okay to have brush fire smoke so thick you can only see two blocks but those mineral spirates is bad stuff.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
woodiewagon46

I do what 38Bill suggests. When I'm done with the paint, I pop the nozzle off, and put it in a jar of thinner.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #20
STEVE O

I agree. I contacted them twice. Tried to tell them its the tube that clogs not the nozzle, they say all they can do is mail me nozzles. I told them keep them that that would not solve the problem. Before rustoleum and krylon merged I hated krylon, but since with the new style cans krylon is far better. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #21
19Fordy

"KUBE" you are not alone. I go out of my way to not buy Rustoleum spray enamel because the nozzles ALWAYS clog, even if you turn can upside down and spray to clean it out.

One of the worse nozzles on the market.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #22
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Yep , I switched to Krylon a couple yrs. ago . Flat or satan . Dries fast too !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
19Fordy

Engine enamel ( acrylic) also works great. Let it dry for 4 days.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #24
tomcarman

Clogs every time. Have wasted quite a few cans. Sometimes they clog in mid use. I'd like to believe one shouldn't have to purchase solvents to soak the cap in. It's the only brand of spray paint that I've used that does this regularly. I've stopped purchasing RO because of this. Too bad because the product is of good quality, if you can spray enough before it permanently clogs.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #25
deuce_roadster

There are very few things I ever paint with a spay can, so they sit in my paint cabinet a long time and I have never had a problem with any make of rattle can. All I ever do is put some lacquer thinner on a paper towel and hold it against the nozzle when finished with it and there is still wet paint there, and it always works next time I use it. I guess I am just lucky. I like the cans that put out a fan like a gun instead of a round pattern of paint but I usually spray with either my touch up gun or production gun paint that I mix (catalyst + paint+ maybe some reducer if needed)
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #26
aussie merc

try storing the cans up side down
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:32 AM   #27
PeteVS

I went through this a while ago. ( https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...stoleum+petevs I saw that my problems started when they stated that their cans could spray when upside down. I had always simply inverted the can, sprayed a bit and the nozzle would be cleared. Now, if I invert a can, I can spray until next month and the paint keeps coming. I dissected one of the cans and found that they had replace the skinny little paint straw with a massive tube that would fill up with paint and all of that paint would keep coming out when I was trying to clear the nozzle. So, what I do now is keep two small bottles, one with about an inch of mineral spirits in it and capped, the other empty. When I'm finished painting what I want to, I pop off the cap, toss it into the mineral spirits, cap it and shake the day lights out of it. I then pour the spirits into the empty bottle and put the lid on that one and then retrieve the cap from the now empty bottle. If I have compressed air, I'll blow out the now clean nozzle and set it on top of the can being careful to not push too hard.

I tried a couple of cans of Krylon who tried the Rustoleum design. I left one of their nozzles in the mineral spirits and when I went to use that one, the little plug with the small orifice blew out of the nozzle and I got paint everywhere! I was upset to say the least. I tried using a used Rustoleum nozzle on the Krylon can but it wouldn't fit. I found out that if I drilled out one of the Rustoleum nozzles with a 5/32" drill, it worked out well.

What I do now, is I buy rattle can paint based on the nozzle design!
Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #28
glennpm

I have the same problem with the new design Rustoleum. I found that when finished if I sprayed through the removed nozzle with WD-40 and then stored the nozzle in mineral spirits, that it would work okay.

I use Krylon exclusively now and can spray upside down with it. Good paint and drys fast.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #29
corvette8n

My local Ace dealer said when the cans sit for a while they go dead, I had an issue with a different dealer, I chose a color that was not popular and about 75% of the cans wouldn’t spray.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #30
Ol' Ron

There was a thread on U-Tube about this a few months back. Seems the tube in the can gets pluged and you have to force air into it to clear it. Need a hundred pounds. Haven't had the "ball" to do it yet??? Let me know if ot works.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #31
mike42

All these suggestions are great, but why doesn't the Rustoleum people realize there is a problem with these nozzles !! For the last 2 years since they've changed the nozzle.....when I have a problem I take back to the store and exchange for a new can. I've gone through about 6 cans like this and the store I deal with has no problems with me bringing them back.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #32
19Fordy

Mike, because Rustoleum doesn't really care as long as they are making a profit. I knew a fellow who designed spray can nozzles for 3M company. he said it is a science in itself and a really big deal.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #33
STEVE O

I'm with Ol'ron. They clog down in the tube. You can take a new nozzle and put on the can and it will not work. I know the dome at the bottom of a can is to protect it in case of excessive pressure but I too don't have enough koonas to do this over a $5 can of paint.
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #34
glennpm

Don't put 100psi on the can!! You're talking about a bomb at that pressure.

Rustoleum won't care until they notice sales are down. I called them too a couple of years back and got no acknowledgement of the problem.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #35
rotorwrench

Rust-Oleum changed their pick up tube some time ago. They are designed to pick up fluid whether right side up or upside down. Now there is no guarantee about how it works while consistently held horizontally.

I'm not a big fan of their hard hat products any more. They were reliable about 30-years ago but not so much any more.

I've always removed the spray nozzles and put them in the cap with some lacquer thinner before storing any rattle can. I blow the thinner out with compressed air and carefully put it back on the can. If it can be cleared by inverting and spraying all the pick up tube contents out then I do that but not all of them are that way anymore.

I use more Tempo than others but I also use the Tisco paint since they are the only ones that carry colors that work well for my Ford 850 tractor. They are good for preservation but not necessarily for accurate restorations. It just depends on what color a person needs. I get my zinc chromate primer from Aircraft Spruce and it's reliable if properly cleared and cleaned after use. Rust-Oleum hard hat has some good matches for Caterpillar Yellow and a red that I use for aircraft gas caps and such. I've used this red and a bright white on tail rotor blades but it doesn't come out as well as polyurethane single stage does. I just hate the dry time. It takes too long. The old Epoxy color paint was the best but it is almost impossible to get unless a person purchases it by the 55-gallon drum load.

Spraymax 2K polyurethane clear coat is kind of a novel thing for rattle can users. It is genuine 2-part mix in one can. A person has to mix it in the can by pushing the activator button onto the bottom of the can and activating the mix. This stuff is spray it or lose it since once it's activated, it's pot life in limited. I's kind of a novel thing though for folks that want to have a urethane clear coating but want a rattle can to apply it with. The patent is likely out on it now so there may be others producing it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-13-2020 at 11:57 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #36
Floyd

Sliding slightly off the original topic, but hey, we do that a lot. As noted above, for anyone wanting a top quality clear coat , the SprayMax is the answer. It is a 2K urethane material made in Germany and sold in spray cans. The nozzle will produce a "can finish" as good as you can get with your Sato gun. Since it is 2K, the life is limited after activating, but I have had it last 3 days. Top quality stuff. Many high end paint shops use this for small exterior repairs rather than mixing up a batch of their Glasurit clear. I just used it to finish a set of Porsche fuchs wheels. It is about $22 to$ 25 a can but a swinging deal for what you get. Same story as lots of things, top quality , not cheap, you decide.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #37
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
There was a thread on U-Tube about this a few months back. Seems the tube in the can gets pluged and you have to force air into it to clear it. Need a hundred pounds. Haven't had the "ball" to do it yet??? Let me know if ot works.
Ron, I am not in the mood to kill myself over a can of paint. 100#? Crap, I wonder how long it'll take to pull the shrapnel from my bleeding body.
Who does this stuff???
Old 09-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #38
RKS.PA

Floyd, found it on Amazon...$24.99 for one and $45 or so for two. Thanks for letting us know about this option.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #39
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Ron, I am not in the mood to kill myself over a can of paint. 100#? Crap, I wonder how long it'll take to pull the shrapnel from my bleeding body.
Who does this stuff???
Some of what is posted online is just to see if people will try it!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #40
Daves55Sedan

Sometimes the valve in the top of the can gets stuck and won't allow the sprayer to go down. If it is just the spray nozzle, I keep a little box full of all kinds of spray nozzles and usually the replacement works in the can.
But even if it is the valve in the can, I still never waste the paint. I keep an empty quart paint can and have a roofing nail affixed to a metal base so the nail wont tip over. Set the nail pointing upward inside the quart can, turn the defective spray can upside down and put it down in the can so the top is against the nail. Hit the bottom of the spray can with a hammer and the paint spray comes out, but can't splatter all over the place because the hole in the can is way down at the bottom of the quart can.
Then I pour the paint into my little detail spray gun, fire up the compressor and go to town painting. I've never thrown away a can of paint because of a bad valve or nozzle.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #41
Floyd

To RKS.PA You can find the SprayMax at your local auto paint store or at a auto body supplies store. It is also available in a quick cure form and semi-gloss . However the regular stuff is fast with out of dust time about 30 minutes. It blends wonderfully. 24 hour cure ready to sand or buff. You will like it, go to their website in Germany, cool stuff.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #42
TagMan

I always fill a small pan halfway up with hot, tap water and set the can in it for 15-minutes prior to use. After the 25-minutes is up, I shake the can vigorously for one full minute, then spray. After use, I remove the nozzle, soak it for a few minutes in thinner, then blow it out and re-install it.

I used to have problems with Rustoleum, but none since I used this procedure.

Just my 2 cents.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #43
tomcarman

Quote:
Who does this stuff???
Kube, Agreed. I simply want the stuff to work as advertised. All these posts about soak it, store it this way and the like are good advice, however it used to be one could grab a can, do the job and move on without hassle, extra expense and such. . In my experience RO has clogged every time despite shaking the heck out of it and cleaning as posted. This leads me to believe as posted earlier the clog occurs inside the can, not at the nozzle. I still vividly recall when I was maybe 6 years old we had a burner barrel to burn garbage. I had the misfortune of looking into the barrel as it was burning. Somehow a can of spray paint was in there and it exploded onto my face. No shrapnel but my face was blackened and slightly burned. Pressurized cans should be considered dangerous. I just don't understand why RO spray cans used to work and now it's a gambling game to get all the paint out. Other brands do work.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #44
GB SISSON

I have been buying cans of RO for over 50 years. Ten days ago we did a big shop cleanup and I bet we tossed out at least 40 partial cans, mostly RO. Like dead condensors and spark plugs, I must have been saving them in hopes that would recover someday. I fully agree that something has changed with them. Planned obsolescense?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #45
Frank Miller

Quote:
Who does this stuff???

It would be a colorful exit though.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #46
rockfla

Okay
I have two Rustoleum spray cans and ONE seems to stay clear all the way to the end as I JUST finished one can the other day and close to the end of another can (Red Nozzle). I just got a few cans of the fat white nozzle 2X spray and have not had an issue YET.

AS stated before, NAPA's Martin Senour spray paint was THE BEST spraying spray paint money could buy....not sure why NAPA/Martin Senour quit producing it????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spraypaint1.jpg (34.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg spraypaint2.jpg (32.3 KB, 18 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #47
glennpm

Oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
It would be a colorful exit though.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #48
ct1932ford

The new spray nozzles suck! Seymour paint is much better.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #49
52flthed

Haven’t had this problem with rustoleum cans at all but I have had terrible luck with bill hirsch enamel spray cans. They’re like cans from the 70’s with the way spray cans never used to work. Rustoleum cans work very well for me but I use the professional line as well.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #50
52flthed

Also my body shop guy got me off all these bad paints turned Me in to a much better brand.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #51
cajunfirehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Ditto, done with rust O!

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #52
Step-down

I’ve set the cans in boiling water , paint flows nice .
Old 10-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #53
B-O-B

I only use it as a last resort. I always puncture empty cans to relieve any pressure before tossing them. Doesn't take much to put a hole in one with my pocketknife.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #54
Wyhomie

Bill,
I have a 39 Pickup and am looking for some rear fenders. Do you have any ideas for me?
Wyhomie
Chip White 307-203-8334
Wyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #55
53MERC

I use a lot of spray paints and have had the same issue with these Rustoleum "2X" paints clogging. Mostly the HIGH gloss. Always getting clogged. I like the quick dry spray paints which is what these are, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go through all the hassles involved with trying to get the paint to spray properly.
I think I'm going to do what a previous post recommended and return them to Home Depot which is where I buy them.
I was looking for some red spray paint to paint my rims with and just picked up a great cherry red spray at Lowes made by Krylon.
I'm finished with Rustoleum!!!
Oh, and I see they sell new spray nozzles for the Rustoleum paints for about $1.00 a piece. Clearly RO has an issue.
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #56
Floyd

You should be choosing paint based on the type of paint. Krylon is usually a lacquer (acrylic) and Rusteoluem is an enamel. Way different materials. Of course Krylon is going to be less problematic as to clogging because it is a solvent base material -forever.
Pick the material for the job.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #57
hope

Unhappy Re: Rust Oleum spray cans

I just don't like Rust-Oleum. ( nozzle or paint).
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #58
billybronco1

I have been using the Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2X for years with no issues, I like how it covers and no nozzle issues
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #59
Ray in La Mesa

I do a bit like "Dave55Sedan", bent a finish nail 90" and with a pair of vice grips , aim the can into my wastebasket & poke it till it sprays. I also built a spray can shaker: a piece of angle iron. w/ hose clamp rides on 4 ball bearings & has a tang that fits into my saber saw. Made a bracket to hold the saw plate and the angle iron in alignment. Run it for 10-15 minuets on slow speed. Clean the nozzle with thinner & air pressure.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #60
Kube

Guys, I started this thread to see if it was a personal issue - the trouble I'd been having.
Apparently it is widespread.
And, while a number of you guys have found ways to overcome this issue, me? I'll move on to a different brand.
I am from the "old school" perhaps - the school that taught me when I buy something, it should perform as promised. I should not be expected to be Rustoleums quality control department.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #61
alanp561

I have several spray cans of Rustoleum that I've had for more than two years. About 9 months ago, I turned the cans upside down and every month after that, I would alternate turning them right side up and back upside down. I shake them well when I'm ready to use them and haven't lost any more cans of usable paint.
alanp561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #62
cajunfirehawk

Now this spray can issue has gotten worse in my shop I have both a can of WD-40 and a can of Kroil, both have content in them (1/5th of a can?) and will shake up, but neither will spray anything out, no matter any trick I try...

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #63
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfirehawk View Post
Now this spray can issue has gotten worse in my shop I have both a can of WD-40 and a can of Kroil, both have content in them (1/5th of a can?) and will shake up, but neither will spray anything out, no matter any trick I try...
Can you squeeze the cans? they may have lost their pressure/propellant. If you can squeeze the cans you might as well just puncture them and drain the contents into some other handy container.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #64
Will D

Not sure bout the paint but I have saved old wd40 by cross docking with a can of compressed air or air duster. Connect the wd40 to air duster with little red straw. Squeeze both triggers for a minute and the air pressure will equalize between the 2 cans. Disconnect and you can now use that last bit of wd40.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #65
ursus

Quote:
Not sure bout the paint but I have saved old wd40 by cross docking with a can of compressed air or air duster. Connect the wd40 to air duster with little red straw. Squeeze both triggers for a minute and the air pressure will equalize between the 2 cans. Disconnect and you can now use that last bit of wd40.
Brilliant!!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #66
tubman

Quote:
I hope a new can of compressed air is a lot cheaper than a new can of WD-40.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #67
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I hope a new can of compressed air is a lot cheaper than a new can of WD-40.
Used this method in a pinch when I did not want to make a return visit to a job and had a can of air and a can of wd40 with none....
Old 11-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #68
38bill

Just buy a gallon of WD40 and a spray bottle and your good to go.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #69
fortyfords

After painting, I always clean out the nozzle with lacquer thinner or acetone and then blow out the nozzle with air. I never turn the can upside down and after cleaning, I have never had a clogged nozzle.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #70
ronn

rustoleum lost me a couple yrs back because of this issue. got tired of returning them to walmart.

ONLY KRYLON FOR ME!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote