Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Franchise_24

Default Different Generators...

How can you tell if you have a powerhouse generator, or I guess for a lack of a better term, a normal generator?

Thanks,
Neal
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Different Generators...

The powerhouse is shaped like an alternator, large diameter and somewhat short, while the later Autolite style is your common long generator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Here is a powerhouse generator that sold on ebay a couple months ago. I wanted to buy it but was outbid by a Fordbarner. This one has Ford script on the mounting bracket and looked very nice inside. I restored it for the new owner, and it turns out this has the best output and at the lowest RPM of any I've ever worked on. I should have mic'd the armature clearance, because it must really be close for such good output. I replaced the two bearings, and this is also the smoothest and quietest generator I've worked on. Sometimes a guy really lucks out on some ebay buys.

The powerhouse was used all of 1928 and into mid 1929. This one is a 5 brush with a side mount tension bracket. The 3 brush powerhouse was introduced about October 1928 and used until mid 1929.

The second picture is the common long generator used from 1929 to the end. Actually the one in this picture has the rear ball bearing, so it was used to about April 1930, then the bushing was used in the rear end plate until the end of Model A production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen1.jpg (43.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Gen2.jpg (99.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Drive Shaft Dave

Shaped like a Big Ben alarm clock.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Franchise_24

Great, thanks for the info Tom.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Bruce of MN

Were they called "Powerhouse" in 1928 or is that a modern nickname?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Joe K

Certainly a modern name but I think Henry himself promoted the thought by calling them "powerhouse" in the parts books.

He was, after all, first a power plant engineer, and only later a Car Manufacturer.

The Powerhouse are generally considered "more conservatively designed" than the longer L1,2,3 generators.

But the L1,2,3 generators are conservative too. The same design was used by Ford and later Delco-Remy into the 1950s.

Joe K
Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Franchise_24

What is really the difference between the 2? The smaller power house model, does it hook up the same way as the longer model?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
What is really the difference between the 2? The smaller power house model, does it hook up the same way as the longer model?
The powerhouse has 6 field poles while the L2 has 2 field poles. The powerhouse is safely rated for 15 amps continuous while the L2 is rated 12 amps continuous output. Both generators do their job very well and either style can be used on any Model A.

I prefer the looks of the powerhouse, the ease of working on it, and the quality of it's build, but as I said they all work fine.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Joe K

The two are functionally interchangeable.

The powerhouse generator is set up differently in the bearings. The armature of the powerhouse is overhanging the two bearings which (at least one) is internal to the armature. This a method of construction which was used on certain powerhouse generators of the 1920s, an can be seen in Henry Ford's "Fairlane" estate in the Dam/Powerhouse there. (pix below)

The Model A powerhouse also has more fields and is considered by some to give a "smoother" flow of electricity as a result. The difference is small, however.

The brushes on the powerhouse seem to be smaller. This may be a downside.

The earlier P1, P2 (some) powerhouse include a separate tensioner rod which the P3 powerhouse do not have (nor the L1,2,3s) This not a large advantage as some report problems getting the correct bolting to attach the tensioner rod anyway. And an aftermarket "stand off" is nearly as effective and applicable to all generators.

My March 1929 truck came to me with a replaced engine which was un-numbered and attached to that a L1 long generator. All other indication on the truck chassis shows this to have been an "early" electrical system (small connectors on the headlight buckets indicating fluted lens/setup, drum tailight, etc.)

I have chosen to restore it to a 3 brush powerhouse which timewise fits the truck. This a project underway.

Hope this helps,
Joe K
Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Franchise_24

Yes it does, thanks for all the great info. My 28 had the longer generator on it, so it sounds like they only had the powerhouse in 28 and the one I had on was not period correct, but I'm not going to worry too much about it, I just want to have a running car lol
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

When I researched the powerhouse generators at the Benson Ford Research Center I took a few spare minutes to glance at the Autolite style generator also. The long generator started production in October 1928, but I've never seen a factory photo or original late 28 with one on it.

If your 28 is late, then you can still pass judging with the first style long generator.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
How can you tell if you have a powerhouse generator, or I guess for a lack of a better term, a normal generator?

Thanks,
Neal
Once you narrow it down to a "normal generator" you need to remember that there were several minor changes to the generator during the Model A production (see the judging standards). There was a configuration for 1932. Then there were two configurations for 1933 and one for 1934. There may have been more. They all interchange and since a core is worth about the same no mater what it is for you might as well use the correct one. If you don't know what you are looking for at a swap meet they all look the same.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Here's an explode view of the powerhouse with the 5 brush holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Exploded View.jpg (77.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I just noticed that the picture I posted above, courtesy Paul Moller, doesn't show the grease slinger for the front bearing. The missing slinger can be seen in my picture below. It's the second part to the right of the right end of the shaft. So, you install the large bearing on the front of the shaft, then the spring, with the open fingers pressing against the bearing outer race, then install the grease slinger. I use a piece of copper tubing to install the slingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Bearings.jpg (66.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
Franchise_24

Thanks for the great picture Tom. It is much appreciated. I have a different generator to use on my leatherback now, so I think I'm going to take the one I pulled off apart and see if I can't rebuild it as funds allow so I have a nice working spare. Your pictures will come in handy.