Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Honkey84

Default AA wheel question

I'm in the process of putting my tires back on my rims for my 29 AA and have ran into a snag. When I go to put the split ring back on the wheel it is to large and won't stay in place for it to seat properly. My question is, is there a way to safely get the ring seat on the rim? Or am I up a creek with this split ring? Also anyone know where I could get a replacement ring? Thanks Guys!
Honkey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
john hamilton

Default Re: AA wheel question

Split rims are dangerous at best so a loose one probably shouldn't be used. It must be warped.

The Model AA Truck club is probably a good place to look. Neil Wilson in Boulder, CO is the man. [email protected]
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Pepsi Mechanic

leave those split rings to a truck tire repair shop .. slit rings can blow off while you are working with them .. many people have been killed and seriously hurt by them .. a truck tire shop has a special cage they use for protection ..
http://forums.aa-fords.com is the best sight going for AA q & a .. Neil Wilson is a pro ... Mind you there are allot of AA guys on this sight too . me included
pepsi mechanic / Harry

Last edited by Pepsi Mechanic; 01-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Honkey84

Just to clear it up guys I have a cage that I'm using to inflate the tires. I emailed Neil also and he's working on it for me. Awesome guy and got back to me really quick! I know first hand what the split rims can do. Friend of mine in high school auto shop had one let go outside of a cage. He dam near lost his left arm, open fracture, and now has titanium holding his arm together!
Honkey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Keith True

If it is stretched out it was improperly removed.Don't try to straighten it.They bend easily,and a tire iron will ruin one if you try to pry it off the wrong way.That usually happens when somebody tries to remove the ring when the tire bead is still up in the ring lip just a little.If the tire is down enough,the ring can be popped off with a screwdriver.When you put it back on,it should make a nice snap when it seats.Those rings are still available new,they are made by both Firestone and Borman.Truck tire stores used to have them,but tube type truck tires are almost a thing of the past.If you can find a good truck tire place,you can find a profile (end view)of the ring in the book.Clean the seat,or groove in the wheel thoroughly.Not wire brush it,a brush will leave the hard lumps behind.Get right in there with a file if you need to,no burrs to hold that rim out.Guys get hurt because they did something wrong.I was shown the right way by a man with a dent in his skull from a rim.I did hundreds before the contractor I worked for went to tubeless in the early 80's.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
columbiA

Ive seen a tire blow that was in a heavy cage.The 1/2" bars,spaced 4" apart bowed out about 6" on each side.Luckily the guy wasnt hurt.Around here,the tire shops are very reluctant to do them,but I used to do them on a regular basis at work.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote