Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default registering a car in Washington state without a title?

I have an opportunity to sell a more-or-less complete Ford body on frame to someone in Washington state. I can prepare a bill of sale. We don't have titles in Alberta. The car is not registered, here, as it is not a running, driving car. Realistically, at this point, it might as well be compared to buying a couple of doors, or a trunk lid, from a swap meet and trailering these components home. What i would be selling, however, would potentially look like a car to someone from a border crossing or DMV. The question is this: with just a serial number on a frame, a bill of sale, and a receipt for the purchase, how hard will it be for a buyer to register this vehicle in a few years when it is a running, driving vehicle ready to tear up the roads? Thank you for your expertise and sharing your own personal experience with a similar transaction?
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: registering a car in Washington state without a title?

I don't know but I'd let the buyer worry about that. Each state has it's own idiosyncrecys (sp?).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
TJ

It's different from state to state, but the new owner could apply for a lost title or resurrect it as a "reconstructed vehicle" and get a title that says it reconstructed. He may be required to bond the title for 3 or 5 years. Another option is for the new owner to do a lien sale. The new potential owner should know the laws of his state and proceed accordingly.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Washington wants a registration certificate and a bill of sale since it is coming from a non title domain
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
cas3

every state is different, so you need an answer from a washington resident. title, is they're problem. now crossing the boarder, my 34 coupe body came into north dakota, being carried by a us resident, and the us asked for no papers, and charged no fee. this was just a body as i had brought the frame and other parts home earlier, with no problems on that either. but, crossing the boarder has no facts. its up to the guy on duty that day and tomorrow may be different
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I have looked into this as I am a Washington resident. One must go to the dept of licensing, get a form from them and fill it out with vin or serial number and other info such as seller's name. Then make an appointment with the Washington State Patrol for an inspection. This is not a safety inspection or anything like that, just checking the vin # to see if has been reported as stolen. The appointment can be 2 or 3 months out and they are very strict about being late etc for the 1/2 hour appointment. If all is in order, they will issue you a 3 year title. If after 3 years nobody comes forward and claims it, a permanent normal title is issued in your name. The appointment costs a hundred bucks. During your 3 year waiting period, you can register and drive it, even sell it. Pretty good system compared to some I have read about.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Ron Pilger

Thank you. Very helpful information.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
McKay59AB

GB is absolutely correct. I have purchased a '28 and a '35 this way. One was from British Columbia. The owner in Alberta needs to go to the RCMP and get a form showing proof of serial number and owner. That should get the vehicle into the U.S.
McKay59AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

When I went through this process (frame had a Canadian Vin C18Hxxxx) several years ago, I was issued a WA REGISTRATION for 3 years, not a provisional title, and after the 3 years I indeed got a full Washington state title. This was for a 34 Sedan Delivery which I eventually sold and it coincidentally went back to Canada. It may be different now but it wasn't that hard to do.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote