Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #21
alt63bird

Default Re: 62 TBird Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggieou View Post
Here are some pics. Original booster with 68 Mustang (took it out of my car to test) MC. Other pics are the booster and MC that came in the box.
For everybodys' education, what was pictured appears to be a '64 version with stamped steel front housing and a band clamp holding the halves together: this is what's often used for a replacement. OEM was the Midland-Ross "10-screw" booster with cast aluminum front housing. Pictures below are of the OEM Midland-Ross brake booster.

Have you tried looking in the 1963 Modified/Custom section of Vintage Thunderbird Club International's Forum?

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.n...forum.php?f=23

Link below are to articles found by searching for disc brake conversion master cylinder booster

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.n...linder+booster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130868.jpg (81.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg mid-61-63 Midland Ross booster exploded.jpg (99.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg mid-61-63 Midland Ross booster installed.jpg (74.5 KB, 8 views)
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #22
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 62 TBird Master Cylinder

THANX Allan ...

On this thread - https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.n...hp?f=23&t=8899 -

The first post has a REFERRING URL which should help understand the scrubby disc conversion. The booster the poster finally used was an aftermarket 9" - 3 1/2" depth fitted to the mounting bracket. See if that helps any. It should give needed clearance on the MC.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-25-2020 at 11:22 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #23
biggieou

Thanks everyone. Sorry, wasn’t able to get out and measure it yesterday. I’m thinking the bracket at the back is what is killing me for space. Need to research these links. You all are the best. More to come!
www.northernohiomodela.com
biggieou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #24
bobss396

I started researching this swap for someone with a '62 Bird and may wind up with the car myself. Those crappy Corvette masters, I would not use one. I liked that Ford dual master that was early in the thread. All better if you can match up the back of it with the OG one.

The car I'm interested in has drum brakes, new master and booster. I would leave it as is and make sure everything in the drums was ok. I saw something on the brace replacement, someone used one from a '64-'66 Bird or maybe modified it as well. The brace is pretty essential to the structure of the car.

If I can find a good link, I'll post it.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #25
biggieou

Still working on this. Been pretty frustrating. Followed one of the links supplied and set up the new booster with the old mount and the darn from brake line port is just slightly too close to the shock tower. Going to try a 68 Mustang MC with the booster and see if that fits. Might have to put a remote fill cap on to get rid of the tall lid and bail.

Question I have is, the booster is set up for a shallow MC, the Mustang MC is deep bore. How can I convert the booster to have a longer rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
I started researching this swap for someone with a '62 Bird and may wind up with the car myself. Those crappy Corvette masters, I would not use one. I liked that Ford dual master that was early in the thread. All better if you can match up the back of it with the OG one.

The car I'm interested in has drum brakes, new master and booster. I would leave it as is and make sure everything in the drums was ok. I saw something on the brace replacement, someone used one from a '64-'66 Bird or maybe modified it as well. The brace is pretty essential to the structure of the car.

If I can find a good link, I'll post it.
www.northernohiomodela.com
biggieou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #26
miker98038

Don't know about your case, but in the past I've had masters that came with a "plug" you put in the bore. Used only with the power booster. Was machined to accept the short rod and the bore.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #27
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Don't know about your case, but in the past I've had masters that came with a "plug" you put in the bore. Used only with the power booster. Was machined to accept the short rod and the bore.

This is likely the answer. Even a piece of steel the right diameter would work. It does help to have friends that work in machine shops. Just measure up the differences to come up with the plug length.

There is another Ford master that puts the lines on the inside. Look up Dorman M97934, but it may have a 7/16-20 port on it, you'll need that fitting. Not a big deal since you'll have to fab a line at some point.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote