Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Dave/Green Bay

Default Racing Flathead

I have heard about a Flathead engine near me that has the exhaust run out of the intakes and the carbs off of the exhaust ports that run backwards???. Does anyone have information, history or pictures of Flathead engines like this? The story I heard that this was a salt flat engine. I am trying to get the person to let me see the engine, take pictures and possibly purchase it, not much cooperation to this point. Any information greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Flathead

Default Re: Racing Flathead

Was it someone named Tucker who built one? The cam was ground special to make the "reverse" ports work. There is a picture in an old car mag like R&C or Hot Rod. I don't think it would have any benefit, given todays flow bench conclusions. Definately a rare bone though.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Kahuna

Just a conversation piece, nothing more. As Flathead said, no benefit at all
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

Gene Winfield ( customizer guy) has one of these in a salt car. I got to see it run at Bonneville.
Fixes one of the flatheads weakness of combined exhaust center port.
Bad thing to say here on the forum but its makes them sound like a chevy....rbg :>)

At Bonneville you can tell when a flathead fires up by the sound of the engine, the center port engines change the sound. Beats me on the hp changes but the sound is cool....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

There have been a few who have tried this mod. I do not know to what success. Didn't one of the mills for the Flatfire series of salt cars try something like this as well?

Some others have done tricks to the exhaust ports like make two new ports at the front and back portions of block. Some turn the heat riser hole into another exhaust port as well.

The one I'm thinking of is in that flathead rail called Slider. I believe it currently holds the record of the fastest flathead in the 1/4 mile.

I believe his name is John Bradley.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Gene Winfield ( customizer guy) has one of these in a salt car. I got to see it run at Bonneville.
Fixes one of the flatheads weakness of combined exhaust center port.
Bad thing to say here on the forum but its makes them sound like a chevy....rbg :>)

At Bonneville you can tell when a flathead fires up by the sound of the engine, the center port engines change the sound. Beats me on the hp changes but the sound is cool....

Yep, few things sound as good as a healthy flathead IMHO. When set-up right, that "WHAP" sound you get once it fires up and is cleared out is ineffectious. Especially with a healthly, fast action cam. Even more so on fuel.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Dave/Green Bay

I don't know any of the history of this engine. The guy has been very tight lipped about even owning the engine and just recently admitted that he did have it. He is not willing to talk about the engine or let me see it yet. I will have to keep pushing the point. Any body have a picture of what one of these look like? Thanks for the info. Dave
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
AlDeBear

Might this be it?

http://www.flatfire.com/engine.htm
AlDeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Al K.

There was something either on this site or the old MSN site about boat engines with the ports reversed. Seemed to be not too odd when they were discussing it. Sorry, but I can't find any links just now. I will see if something tickles the old brain in a day or two. Al K.
Al K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

Years and years ago there was a hot rod mag with a pic of a coupe ( I think at the salt ) with the ext out the top and 3 barb on each side. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Dale Fairfax

NO. The original question was about engines with the exhaust coming out the original intake ports and vice versa. The Ron Main Flatfire has had major alterations to the top of the block and has eight additional ports so all 16 are on the top of the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDeBear View Post
Dale Fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Fairfax View Post
NO. The original question was about engines with the exhaust coming out the original intake ports and vice versa. The Ron Main Flatfire has had major alterations to the top of the block and has eight additional ports so all 16 are on the top of the block.

Correct , the question was about a reverse flow set up. These are used a lot on the model T engines ran at the Newport Hill Climb.
Above my post was on the Gene Winfield deal, it was a extra pipe coming from the heat riser passage making four exhaust exits...

oops......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Dale Fairfax

I remember a V-8 60 midget with conversion-it showed up at the Landeck, Ohio speedway back in about '51. It was an object of much curiosity but I don't recall any performance advantage. Sadly I can't remember much else but, given the circumstances-a low paying , remote location-I would assume the car came from Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave/Green Bay View Post
I have heard about a Flathead engine near me that has the exhaust run out of the intakes and the carbs off of the exhaust ports that run backwards???. Does anyone have information, history or pictures of Flathead engines like this? The story I heard that this was a salt flat engine. I am trying to get the person to let me see the engine, take pictures and possibly purchase it, not much cooperation to this point. Any information greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dave/Green Bay
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

This subject was discussed here on either the old or new Ford Barn. Pictures were also posted. I'm wondering if Speedy Bill may have an example of this modified FH engine in his museum? Also, maybe JWL has some information on this conversation and it's potential performance advantages. Theoretically, I believe a FH engine with this conversion would run cooler because the hot exhaust gases would not have to travel through the areas between cylinders where the coolant is flowing.
I may have also read something about an engine that had this conversion in one of about twelve books I have on building and modifying the Ford Flathead V8 engine. I will take a look through those an pm you if i find something.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-08-2012 at 09:40 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
flatjack9

Using the exhaust ports for the intake would not seem like a good idea. They would be much longer and much more restrictive. Also would tend to heat the intake charge becoming less dense and hence less power. I would think you would need a supercharger with this setup.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

[QUOTE=flatjack9; I would think you would need a supercharger with this setup.[/QUOTE]

That's most likely a given for this setup to avoid the other things you mentioned from happening.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Dale Fairfax

Given the many years elapsed since any sighting of this oddity, I believe that's the best judge of the concept's validity. If it had been a good idea,it would have been repeated many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Using the exhaust ports for the intake would not seem like a good idea. They would be much longer and much more restrictive. Also would tend to heat the intake charge becoming less dense and hence less power. I would think you would need a supercharger with this setup.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Jason in TX

This has been done to Model A blocks as well that have run at Bonneville.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Flathead

Back when this modification was first tried, the general thinking was that the exhaust was the big restriction to flathead V8 breathing. It has turned out that the exhaust flows better than was thought. It's more about getting the fuel mixture into the cylinder. Remember that the exhaust has a lot of pressure behind it when leaving the cylinder, something that the intake does not have. Unless of course you have a blower. Also, that conversion had to be a major pain in the butt to do.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
Mart

Model A = two inlets, 4 exhausts.
So reverse em, you get 4 inlets and 2 siamesed exhausts. Kinda makes sense.

Can't see the logic in trying it on a V8 though.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote