Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
topfuel724

Default Cam Specs for Motor City Flathead Cams

I have a cam for a 59A that has MCF stenciled on the front and Eliminator marked on the back. Gross Intake lift is .413 and Exhaust is .406.

I found in a old magazine that Motor City made three cams. A 3/4, 7/8, and Full race all with duration of about 280 degrees. Lifts were .370, .390, and .420 respectively. Does anyone have any information on MCF cams?

I thought that my cam might be a Potvin 425 based on the gross lifts and the word "Eliminator" marked on the cam. Any help on cam specs would be appreciated.
topfuel724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Cam Specs for Motor City Flathead Cams

I have no idea about any MCF cam specs I can tell you the Potvin eliminator is .425 lift and the lobe has a very unusual look more like a chisel. For the most part the most radical non radius lifter profile you can ever run in a flathead.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
flathead4rd

Contact Shadowrods.com 989-754-1927. The last time I talked to Mark Kirby of Motor City Flatheads, he was still with them. Their in Saginaw, Mich. Mark built my engine several years ago and it has a Potvin 415 (markings on cam) in it. NO one I have talked to has any information on that cam. Only on the 425. My flathead is 286 CI and it's a strong runner. Lots of torque.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Pete

I have probably had a couple hundred original 425's come through the shop for regrind. I have ground them on every model of OEM core and they have .416 lift on the cam.
Here is a pic of an original steel one that was reground and had the journals chromed back to standard.
The pointy picket fence shape of the lobe was for spring control.
With the right valve train, they will turn 8000 twice a lap all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steel Potvin.jpg (11.8 KB, 98 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

At the present time, I'm trying to calculate the amount of air needed to feed an engine per Horsepower. It's easy to determine the amount of air an engine of a certain displacement needs, but how does it get it through the small ports of a Flathead. Superchargers an oxygen fuels will replace the small ports but at 6000 RPM even a 239 would have trouble making any power through the ports. now what can we do to increase flow? Having run many flow bench tests, I just couldn't find it. I've been looking at the Chevy LS engine ports, to see the difference between the and the old Chevy engine. Interesting the amount of flow these ports can provide.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
At the present time, I'm trying to calculate the amount of air needed to feed an engine per Horsepower. It's easy to determine the amount of air an engine of a certain displacement needs, but how does it get it through the small ports of a Flathead. Superchargers an oxygen fuels will replace the small ports but at 6000 RPM even a 239 would have trouble making any power through the ports. now what can we do to increase flow? Having run many flow bench tests, I just couldn't find it. I've been looking at the Chevy LS engine ports, to see the difference between the and the old Chevy engine. Interesting the amount of flow these ports can provide.
Ron,

These LS motors are becoming game changers. Throw a cheap, Chinese turbo on them, tweak the tune and they are making real serious HP.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post

Ol' Ron,

I don't know if this means anything, but was told years ago when I worked in the Zenith carb lab in Detroit, the approximate rule of thumb is that you need 1 CFM for 1 HP.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote