Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Mitchell Overdrive

Hello Everyone
I am new hear and would like to hear comments from people who have installed a Mitchell Overdrive. Was the install difficult? I know the Model A is happy at around 45 but what is your new top driving speed with the Mitchell? Also after having the OD installed are you happy with it and would you do it again?

Thanks for the comments.
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive

A worn Model-A is likely happy at 45, restored ones can do better.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
alexiskai

P.S. did a video about this a couple weeks ago, worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHYlwR7eU
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
Tom Endy

The Model A was designed to run all day long at 45 mph with the engine turning over at 2000 rpm. With a Mitchell 26% overdrive and with a standard ring & pinion you can run all day long at 55 mph with the engine turning over at 2000 rpm.

A Mitchell overdrive is a good choice.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

I definitely would install another Mitchell. I like the way they work and shift and you can use them as a "Gear Splitter" which can be very helpful when driving in the mountains. I have done a lot of touring with my model A and the Mitchell makes it much more enjoyable.

I can run along very comfortable at 55-60 MPH and even 65 if necessary but as Tom Endy said, the engine is very happy at 2000 RPM.

I also have a Mitchell Transmission which also is a big improvement.

My experience.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
Model A Ron

Brent
At what speed will a restored Model A run at for extended periods of time? How fast would you run a restored A with a 26% Mitchell?

Thanks
Ron
Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #7
Pete

I don't like driveshaft overdrives and their associated shifting mechanisms. They add unsprung weight which you definitely don't need.
I use T5's or Richmond's. About the same price either way when all done.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #8
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
P.S. did a video about this a couple weeks ago, worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHYlwR7eU

I did look at the video and Paul did a good job. From what I can tell it looks like a weekend job and does not look like it's to hard to do. Thanks for the link.

Ron
Old 02-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #9
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I definitely would install another Mitchell. I like the way they work and shift and you can use them as a "Gear Splitter" which can be very helpful when driving in the mountains. I have done a lot of touring with my model A and the Mitchell makes it much more enjoyable.

I can run along very comfortable at 55-60 MPH and even 65 if necessary but as Tom Endy said, the engine is very happy at 2000 RPM.

I also have a Mitchell Transmission which also is a big improvement.

My experience.

Chris W.

Chris
Thanks for the information. I would think 2000 RPM at 55-60 would be about as fast as I would like to go in an Model A under normal conditions. Should you have the need to go faster how fast can you push it with a Mitchell for extended periods of time?

Ron
Old 02-28-2021, 11:48 PM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Gotta agree with Brett, there are so many 'pretty cars with poor running gear outthere...I run a michell OD,3.78 rear, 30.5" tires and about double the power of a stock engine through modification..run freeway all day and have fun in traffic. And no 'roadside seminars' either..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:12 AM   #11
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The Model A was designed to run all day long at 45 mph with the engine turning over at 2000 rpm. With a Mitchell 26% overdrive and with a standard ring & pinion you can run all day long at 55 mph with the engine turning over at 2000 rpm.

A Mitchell overdrive is a good choice.

Tom Endy
I agree with Tom, me and my Model A are happy at 55mph. I could probably push it faster but why?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 AM   #12
Fred A

The Master Cylinder does not reveal where he is but, around here 55 would be pretty dangerous. LA traffic is brutal and no courtesy for old cars. I have an A pickup that cruised well at 65 with an OD. Now with a different engine it may be different. Questions about braking become more important at that speed. Answers are clouded by the meaningless word proper. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:14 AM   #13
TerryH

I’ve had a Mitchell in my Town Sedan for 15 years now, and just love it. It is a must for freeway driving here in S. California, where I go 55-60 very nicely. But I also use it all the time on our surface streets; as soon as I hit 40 mph I shift into OD.....just like a 4th gear. Driving a model A 45 in OD is sublime......so quiet. I would not own a Model A without a Mitchell OD.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 AM   #14
Kinner

Installing a Mitchell in my Vicky and am considering using the cable shift they offer. Anyone used this combination and thoughts.
Kinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinner View Post
Installing a Mitchell in my Vicky and am considering using the cable shift they offer. Anyone used this combination and thoughts.
I have a cable shift in 2 of my cars. Not much difference driving but less clutter in the car. Changing from high second to low 3rd gear is easier and I do that often.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:11 AM   #16
Bruce of MN

I installed a Mitchell last March and love it. The only part that I didn't do myself was to stick the driveshaft splines into the U-joint, needed my neighbor to push the assembly forward and rotate the tire that was off the ground to align the splines.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #17
nkaminar

I have the Mitchell overdrive in my car and love it. My engine is more powerful than stock. I can cruise at 55 easily. I use the overdrive in second gear to extend the hill climbing ability which is useful while driving on back roads in the mountains. Also good for going down the same roads. I don't use the overdrive in low or reverse so it is like having a 5 speed transmission. Second in overdrive is about half way between second and third without overdrive so it is very handy.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #18
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
The Master Cylinder does not reveal where he is but, around here 55 would be pretty dangerous. LA traffic is brutal and no courtesy for old cars. I have an A pickup that cruised well at 65 with an OD. Now with a different engine it may be different. Questions about braking become more important at that speed. Answers are clouded by the meaningless word proper. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A, sorry for the confusion. I meant with the O/D my Town Sedan is happy at 55mph, I didn't mean to say I actually drove 55mph in LA traffic.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #19
Kinner

Thanks Syncro909
That was my thought as far as clutter.
Glad to hear it worked out ok
Kinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

It took me a while to decide if I wanted a Mitchell O/D transmission or the O/D. I finally decided on the O/D.

I installed the Mitchell in July 2020 by myself (70 yo, Covid thing and all that). It would have been a LOT easier if I had help. I just took my time and followed Tom Endy's advice and left the rear spring in the car. Glad I did as I found some shackle problems, see picture.

If you are planning on ordering one I would order direct from Steve or Cindy. The Vendors tack another $400 on the price. It took 15 weeks for my Mitchell to arrive by UPS (again because of Covid-19). I hope the Mitchell's are catching up on their orders again.

When I ordered the Mitchell I thought about going with the cable but decided on the shifter. The area where the shifter comes thru is not usable anyway. Notice I did extend the Mitchell shifter 4" so I didn't have to reach for it.

Besides it is fun watching people discuss why it has "three shifters".

Around town I use mostly 2nd low and 2nd high. I love being able to shift down for corners and hills, sit at a light with the Mitchell in neutral, too many other advantages to list.

Only con, not the fault of the Mitchell, is the stock trans still has the large gap between 2nd and 3rd. And yes I could go to 3rd low after 2nd high but most of the time I'm too lazy...

I did not see it mentioned but Tom Endy has a very good article on installing the Mithell O/D https://www.brattons.com/media/wysiw...r-Apr-2012.pdf

Broken Shackle

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-01-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote