Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Albany Tom

Default Model A starter clunk then no electrical

Hi everyone. First post here and I'm not an expert. Thanks in advance for your advice and patience.

I've a 1930 Model A. Has 12V conversion.Worked perfect for 2 years. Last week went to start and likely pulled up too early on the starter, heard the "clunk" I've read about here, then no electricity (starter, lights, nothing). Battery indicates 12V. Fuse between starter and junction is intact. Per posts here, tried pushing backwards in 3rd gear. No clunk after full rotation of the engine. Testing voltage where battery cable connects to starter, no voltage.

I removed starter switch (taking starter out of the circuit) and connect battery cable to wire to junction box through fuse), I have lights again. What does that indicate? Is my starter toast and has a short? Get a new starter? If so, do I get a rebuilt? Do I need a special starter because I have 12v? Thanks again all. Tom
Albany Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Model A starter clunk then no electrical

Measure voltage at battery terminals. Then measure from +12v battery post to the frame. Should be 12 v, if not bad cable, loose battery cable connection, or terminal on cable , and the connections on frame for the cable need to be cleaned.

Then measure from - battery post to starter cable connection, should measure 12v, if not same as above - bad cable, loose connection, connections need cleaning.

Do you have a Master cutoff switch - perhaps bad switch, bad connections.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Ed Wendell

Tom,
You say no voltage at starter end of cable. I would check the cable for corrosion in the lug connections, that can be a problem with the heavy current draw from the starter.
If the starter is bad then you may need to find a local shop that rebuilds them, you are not likely going to find a 12v Model A starter at your local auto parts store. Also do you have a local Model A club that could help.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Bob C

X2 what Ed said, dirty of bad cable.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Albany Tom

Hi all. Thanks much for the speedy help! The battery definitely has 12V (I tested w cables detached.) The cables are fine and the cutoff switch is fine. I've confirmed all.

The starter end of the cable is 0 _only_ when its connected to the starter switch. If I disconnect the cable from starter, I have 12v at the starter end of the battery cable.

With the starter removed from the circuit (connect starter end of bat. cable to the line to the junction box ) I have 12V. Lights, horn, etc all work.

But if the starter is IN the circuit, I get 0 at and beyond the starter. That seems to indicate the problem (a short?) in the starter. And if you agree, and I need a replacement starter, do I have to get a special one for 12V?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Albany Tom

Here's a photo showing how I've removed the starter from the circuit, and connected the starter-side battery cable directly to the wire to the junction box. In this state, I've got 12V through and all electrical is restored. So battery terms, cutoff, cables and fuse are all OK. That's why I think the problem is the starter...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0589.jpg (50.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Joe K

If you're getting 0 volts when the cable is connected to the starter you have either:

A.) A cable that is somehow failed open circuit - but may be sensitive to "position."
B.) A short in your starter switch or in the winding of the starter motor which is pulling down the voltage to zero. A condition which SHOULD cause blue flash, smoke, heat, and a whole lot of damage and possibly a fire. There is a lot of energy in a lead-acid battery which you are short-circuiting.

Try jumper cable going directly from the battery post to the starter switch attachment. Next try the jumper cable between the battery post and the "knob" underneath the starter switch (remove the two screws and take off the starter switch.)

If you get a HUMONGOUS spark and the jumper cables start to catch on fire you know your starter motor is toast.

Or you get a medium spark and the starter motor starts and you are among the lucky and only have to diagnose a problem with the switch or cable.

Joe K
Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

If you have a short in the starter that brings you down to zero volts, something must be getting hot, tap that end of the cable to ground and see if you get a very big spark. You should. If not, it could be the crimp of the end fitting to the cable wires.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Albany Tom

Can't believe how helpful everyone is even on July 4th. I wish I could buy you all a burger and a beer.

I just did what Joe K suggested: "try the jumper cable between the battery post and the "knob" underneath the starter switch (remove the two screws and take off the starter switch.)"

Tapping the knob with the cable produced a medium spark but when I held it on for a sec, the starter turned! So it appears to be working.

Re the starter switch, using a voltmeter there doesn't appear to be a short. I get no continuity between any part of the casing or rod and the copper flap. They seem to be correctly electrically isolated. See pic.

But if the starter turned, it seems to imply the switch. But it's pretty simple. I don't know what could be actually wrong with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0590.jpg (60.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
Joe K

It may be the traditional "restorers dilemma" - no starter motor ground - as in the path from the starter BACK to the battery is somehow "painted" or otherwise made non-conductive.

VERY common among restored cars - the mounting flange for the starter is painted and the bolts are not a great current path.

Re-establish a correct current path on the mounting flange of the starter motor and you may be fine. This might be tested as a malady by landing one connection of a single jumper cable TO the starter somehow (the frame bolts MAY work) and the other on the ground post of your battery. (I have not identified either as plus or minus as it does not matter to the issue at hand and you might or might not be "positive ground.")

Note that you're having current to "accessories" via the yellow wire and this works is a sign THEY have their own separate ground paths - and those are OK.

Joe K
Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #11
Bob C

I would still try a different cable.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Use a jumper cable to make sure the engine is grounded. Most of us have a second ground cable between the frame and bell hsg. Sometimes that engine does not have a good ground.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
Albany Tom

Thank you Joe. Per your advice, I confirmed a good current path between starter and battery. (By the way, battery positive post goes to the starter, neg to the frame (through cutoff switch), so negative ground).

I took the starter switch apart and confirmed everything was electrically isolated as it should be. The little rubber "T" pin that pushes the copper flap seemed fine.

Put the switch back on the starter and dang: No electricity to anything again. Voltmeter testing showed elec. continuity between the switch casing (or any ground) and the brackets that hold the starter switch fuse. So something's shorting.

I took the fuse out. I tested continuity again between ground and the _starter_ side of the fuse and there was none--it was correctly isolated. So now it seems to be something on the junction box side of the switch fuse.

So
1) If i connect the starter battery cable directly to the wire to the fuse setup, without the starter, I get lights, horn, etc.
2) If I connect the starter back in with the fuse in, I get (bad) continuity between ground and anything positive (e.g. starter post or fuse brackets).
3) Remove the fuse and what should be electrically isolated is again, at least on the starter side of the fuse.

So I think this means the problem is in the junction box or coil?

(And as nice as you guys have been helping me today, please know this can wait for after your July 4th parties). Tom
Old 07-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
Albany Tom

Just a note re adequate grounding and such. I think all that's OK. The car has been incredibly reliable and started every time for the last two years. This all started a few days ago when I think I let my foot off the starter too soon and heard that unusual clunk.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
Farrell In Vancouver

Check and see if the bendix is jammed.(Strange Clunk noise)
Clean and file the copper button and the strap in the switch.
carefully inspect the post coming through the switch housing to ensure it is not grounding on the cover.
Check the starter motor mounting for rust preventing a ground path.
I still find it odd that with a short to ground you see no smoke or heat build up on any components of the system. Possible the cable to the switch from battery or battery is bad.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Albany Tom

Thanks for all those points, Farrell. Re your suggestions:
- cleaned the switch and starter post
- checked the switch every which way for short. all ok. Post for battery cable has 3 insulated washers between cable and the switch housing.
- No rust on the mounting.

I actually started this whole thing thinking it was the Bendix. I pushed the car backwards and forwards in 3rd gear and ensured I made a whole engine rotation (watched the fan blades). No clunk.

And when I connected the starter directly to the battery positive, it did turn. Don't know if that means the Bendix is not jammed.

One thing I don't get is why would a jammed Bendix cause the electrical issue I'm seeing?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #17
steve s

Sorry, but I get lost trying to wade thru this discussion. One problem is I suspect that the terms "short" and what might be called a "bad connection" or "open connection" are being used interchangeably. A short means there's an electrical "short-cut" or path around the intended load (lights, horn, etc.) from one battery terminal to the other. As others have suggested, a short is unmistakable--smoke, sparks, heat, fire!!! or a blown fuse. WHile it's true that certain voltage readings may drop to zero during a short, that will usually be the least of your concerns!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
Will N

Building on what steve s wrote, to me the connector on that battery cable in the picture in post 6 looks kinda crusty. Bright and tight is the way to go on electrical connections. Wire brush that connector and the stud on the starter switch. Corrosion is like insulation.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #19
Albany Tom

Steve, Will (and everyone else) I appreciate your taking the time to wade through all I wrote. I was trying things as you fine people were providing advice.

You and others are right in that when I see no voltage I'm calling it a short yet there is no heat, smoke, etc. (which is good news). So I agree it's just a zero voltage and likely a bad or open connection. I did wire brush the copper switch bolt and the connector after the photo but I'll do it again when I'm done earning the pay I might need to fix this. Tom
Old 07-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
Joe K

A trick that works very well for me on making up battery connections is "conductive grease" that electricians use for aluminum wire.

No-Al-Ox is the name and its basically a grease with fine particles of graphite - and is used normally for aluminum wire landings in copper binding screwpads.

Available at the big-box stores and they may have other names/sources for basically the same product.

Don't get it on your clothes. And wipe clean around the fitting when you've tightened it lest it provide a start for a conductive ground path.

Joe K
Old 07-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
john in illinois

Have you jumpered from battery terminal direct to the terminal on top of the starter. That woult test the battery cable.
This sounds to me like a high resitance in the battery cable.

John
Old 07-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #22
jquinlan

I once had a similar problem that was a bad battery cut off switch. One of those cheap little green ones that mount on top of a battery terminal.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #23
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany Tom View Post
.... Post for battery cable has 3 insulated washers between cable and the switch housing.

One thing I don't get is why would a jammed Bendix cause the electrical issue I'm seeing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany Tom View Post
So
1) If i connect the starter battery cable directly to the wire to the fuse setup, without the starter, I get lights, horn, etc.
2) If I connect the starter back in with the fuse in, I get (bad) continuity between ground and anything positive (e.g. starter post or fuse brackets).
3) Remove the fuse and what should be electrically isolated is again, at least on the starter side of the fuse.

So I think this means the problem is in the junction box or coil?
.... Tom
I think your answer lies in these sections, if only I could understand for sure what you're saying? There are TWO wires "to the fuse setup", one at each end of the fuse; I wonder which do you mean in 1) above? In 2), you should get a reading of about 12 V (when using DC volts scale) "between ground and anything positive"; on the ohms scale all bets are off what you might see.

BUT, making some guesses as to what you meant, if in 1) you meant you connected the battery cable directly to the wire from the junction box, the fact the lights work means there's nothing wrong in the junction box, or your grounds, or your starter, or the switch, or the cutoff switch, etc.; if the lights go out when you put the fuse back in the circuit, which is what I understand from 2), it means something's wrong with the FUSE or its connections!! TRY ANOTHER FUSE. DON'T TEST IT--I DON'T TRUST YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH YOUR METER.

Exactly where are those "3 insulated washers"? Assuming they are on the post that sticks up out of the back of the starter switch, THEY ARE ALMOST CERTAINLY THE SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM--REMOVE THEM. Other than not grounding to the case of the switch, nothing there is to be insulated from anything else there: the battery cable, the post, the wire going to the fuse holder, and possible a regular metal washer are all to be electrically joined and snugged together by the thin nut. Poor or intermittent contact of the battery cable thru a stack of insulated washers would explain everything.

If I misunderstood what you were saying, i apologize; please disregard. I apologize if I sounded too gruff; typing is a real pita for me, and I'm often in a bad mood by the time I finish.

good luck
steve

Last edited by steve s; 07-06-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #24
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
...TRY ANOTHER FUSE....steve
You know, the use of that fuse is very controversial. If you can get your car to work okay without it, you have my permission to remove it. That is, connect the battery cable and the junction box wire together at the starter switch--just like Henry did!
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #25
Jerold Ebke

I had a battery cable go bad mid length on an Allis Chalmers tractor. Click only on start attempt.
Not visible outer surface.
Pulled starter, battery etc in most inconvenient location. Carried battery and starter out 1/8 mile on foot. Starter worked with bench test. Bought new battery and carried all back in. No happiness.
Finally new battery cable and started like a champion.
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #26
Chuck Sea/Tac

A corroded wire or connection will allow “no load” current to go through ( in your case 12V.) however a high amperage load like your starter is, it won’t do its work. Like a weak muscle.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
A corroded wire or connection will allow “no load” current to go through ( in your case 12V.) however a high amperage load like your starter is, it won’t do its work. Like a weak muscle.
Chuck makes an important point: When a meter says a connection is good, it might only be good enough to carry the tiny current that the meter used to make the measurement; it may or may not be good enough to carry a heavy load. And, what's worse, the quality of the connection (i.e., its resistance) will actually get worse as it heats up.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #28
Badpuppy

I'm thinking the switch plate is lightly touching the motor contact "nub", which would draw enough current to drop the voltage to near-zero but not enough to turn the motor.

I would pull the starter and check for shrapnel - may explain the loud report Tom first described. Then bench test for continuity between switch post and starter case when assembled.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #29
BN

I've had batteries behave like this - providing a low current, but when you hit it with a high current demand something opens inside the battery. Have you tried a different battery. Since it's a 12V, maybe you could "borrow" one from your daily driver.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
You know, the use of that fuse is very controversial. If you can get your car to work okay without it, you have my permission to remove it. That is, connect the battery cable and the junction box wire together at the starter switch--just like Henry did!

1st I have heard of running without a fuse/breaker as being OK. When I 1st got my A everybody told me the 1st things I should do is to add a fuse and replace the Fan. In case of a short prevents burnt up wiring, possible fire.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #31
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
1st I have heard of running without a fuse/breaker as being OK. When I 1st got my A everybody told me the 1st things I should do is to add a fuse and replace the Fan. In case of a short prevents burnt up wiring, possible fire.
If that fuse (or any on the ignition) blows while your driving, the motor could die, which depending on what you're doing right then could be a real safety issue. The controversy centers on whether the generator or alternator will provide enough juice to keep the motor running and whether without that connection to the battery the generator or alternator will run wild and burn themselves up.

About the replacing the fan, there is no controversy; just do it!

For a good time, use the search function.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #32
Albany Tom

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay but I finally got to the car again. It turns out you were all on the right track re a bad electrical connection. The problem was the clamp on the positive battery post. (The car is 12V negative ground.) The clamp overall was pretty thin and had some rust, but the problem was the clamp that holds the cable--it was just a bad connection. If you jiggled it you'd lose connectivity.

That explains why the starter would work when I used battery cables direct to the switch. (Thanks John in Illinois re "Have you jumpered from battery terminal direct to the terminal on top of the starter. That woult test the battery cable.")

Replaced the clamp with a heavier duty one and we're back running!

Thanks to you all again for all your time and advice.

Last edited by Albany Tom; 07-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out, always nice when we know the results.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #34
john in illinois

Glad you got it running.

John