Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
leon bee

Default What about New Starter Bendix?

I searched and googled, just found for sale adds and Ford Tractor posts. I haven't yet held one of the newer type Bendix in my hand. Got 4 or 5 of the old ones here now, tried 3 and they work fine. I'm wondering what's different with them and why? Just like to know, you know. Thanks!
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: What about New Starter Bendix?

Many modern repros are made offshore to metric dimensional specs, while disregarding metallurgical and performance specs. Is there something else you need to know about any modern repro?
Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
drolston

Because I had had the starter hang up a few times, I replaced the starter Bendix on my 59A/B with a reproduction stock type unit when I converted the starter to 12 volts. Cheap import crap did not last 20 starts before it sheared. I replaced it with the modern mushroom looking replacement type (also of unknown manufacture origin) and that unit has performed reliably for three years, - maybe 100 starts}.

Good luck!
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
4t8v8

After switching to 12 volts I had a lot of trouble breaking Bendix springs. Switched to the new style four years ago and haven't had any problems. If you stay with 6 volts the old style should work fine.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
leon bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Many modern repros are made offshore to metric dimensional specs, while disregarding metallurgical and performance specs. Is there something else you need to know about any modern repro?
No, that's been my experience as well. Time after time for some years now with other car and motorcycle parts. On this Ford Bendix, I last bought a new old type made in USA one from McMinnville, and I have it stashed.

What are differences with new type any why is what I'm wondering. Thanks, guys!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
leon bee

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So the newer type might be tougher if you had a quality one. Is it originally a Ford part? A Ford replacement, or a type for newer engines? When I get interested in some line of machinery, I like to know more about it than anyone else on my block.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
51504bat

I believe Mac Van Pelt has original quality Bendix's
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
cas3

none of it is a ford part, starter included. stromberg built carburetors, autolite built starters, bendix built the starter drives, etc. thats how all the makers do it for many small parts. the "new style", is just that, its a newer design from bendix that was used on the later fords, and ive had them on army jeeps, and i'm sure many other applications too. there can be a variety of gear tooth count, and rotation, for different apps. i've never had one apart, but i believe there are small clutch paks in there instead of using the spring to absorb the shock. better? well the engineers want us to believe newer is always better, but, that theory doesnt always work. then theres the really new, as in offshore cheaper made junk. ask mac vp, he would have an answer i'm sure
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I believe Mac Van Pelt has original quality Bendix's
correct I got one from Mac VP.... made in USA.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #10
Mac VP

Of the original Bendix design (the type with the exposed spring and gear) there are cheap imported units on the market.....I have no idea about their quality or operational longevity. And there is the one made in the USA by an old starter drive manufacturer. This is the one we’ve always supplied and trusted. We buy our starters without the modern barrel drive (which incidentally is too big in diameter to fit into the 49-53 V8’s without grinding something to make it fit) and we install the USA Bendix drive ourselves.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
mike42

Three (3) years ago I bought ($200) one of the new starters with new Bendix. They don't tell you that you have to grind away part of the bell housing for it to fit until you get the part in the mail. There is a small sketch in the box that my 5 year old Grandaughter could draw better than what you have to look at ! It's really STUPID !!

After hours of grinding away.....I finally got the new one to fit and bolted it up with the help of a buddy from garage up the road. Everything secure....we started it up....it would barely turn over and then Solenoid started to smoke and burn up. Replaced the Solenoid and it happened again ! Bought another new solenoid.....took out the new starter....replaced it with a Bendix that a friend had with my Old Starter and installed. Started right up and not one problem since. That was 3 years ago and as of this writing no probs !!

Took the new starter and Bendix threw in the trash along with 2 solenoids !!!

End of that story ! If you would have seen the sketch that was in the box of what you had to do to install....you'd laugh like hell ! I cannot believe they would even use it. I cannot be the only one that called to complain !

Thx....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
john in illinois

I have had good luck with the USA barrel bendix in Model As.

I put one in my newly rebuilt 59a. After some miles the engine developed a ticking sound that would come and go. I finally thought it could be the Bendix hitting the ring gear and going back k and forth.

I put in new USA original style Bendix and the noise went away. One of the many mysteries of Flatheads.

John