Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
AL in NY

Default Re: model 'a' 4 speed trans

Tom, not enough room inside that small case.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #22
harleytoprock

Al, Thank you very much for sending the info. It looks like a fun job to tackle. Thanks again!
HTR
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #23
Wello

Thanks for sharing.
Wello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #24
Ron W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett View Post
The 4 speed is a completely different transmission from the 3 speed with overdrive.
Upgrading parts on a car does not make it a streetrod. It simply makes it more useable
Good to see you posting. I was wondering if you were still around. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
harleytoprock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Well not so fast, ...."more usable"?? Model-As, --amazingly to some, --were WERE very usable for some 50+ years until someone (erroneously) convinced other peers that the original transmissions were not usable any longer.

And so we are clear, "upgrading" is perfectly acceptable on a 'Restored' vehicle if it is undetectable. A high-compression head can be undetectable, insert bearings inside the engine is considered undetectable, a hi-speed ring & pinion is considered undetectable. A F-150 transmission IS detectable ...even in Helen Keller's eyes!!
There are two schools of thought and there is no right or wrong. What's really right is that your happy with what you have. Some folks need a perfectly correct restored vehicle that may not see the road to often but is just the way it left the Ford factory. Other's prefer a vehicle that is fun, reliable and pleasurable to drive with modern updates and don't really care about any incorrect detectables. Its your car , do what makes you happy.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #26
Old Man Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
There is another person who makes kits to do this install. His name is Ken Parker in Van, Texas and he posts on fordbarn. His contact information is: Phone - 903-963-1650 or e-mail ([email protected]). The kits run around $2700 complete. I have done this install myself without a kit and I wrote an outline of the procedure I used. I can send that to you if you are interested. Probably cost you slightly less than half the $2700 to do it yourself.
Hello Al,
Would you please forward me your outline to [email protected] ???
I'd Very Much like to understand how to make the 4 speed conversion!!!

Thank You!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,
N3YH & K3WMS
Old Man Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
imacrazy

You are right Tom, I would love to see that for all three of my (A.s) 31 Coupe, 31 S/W, and 30 Sedan. Maybe someone will do that soon.

I sure enjoy everyones Comments
Thanks Tom
Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
imacrazy

Tom, you are right about the 4 speed in the original tranny case. I would be very interested in one for my 31 Coupe, 31 S/W and one for my 30 Sedan. I think whoever comes up with that, couldn’t keep up with the demand. Just my thoughts.
I sure enjoy all comments
Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #29
2manycars

I bought a model A fordor one time that had been "improved". Hydraulic brakes, overdrive, 12 volts, mallory distributor, weber carburetor, etc, etc. I converted it back to original. I wondered why the guy had not just bought a newer car, or maybe a Mustang. The factory original model A is still a good car just as it is. Some folks are not happy with that.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
holdover

it would be nice if some machinist out there could take a present day 4 speed trans and convert it to fit a Model A as a drop in using the present torque tube/ bell housing mounts without any or only very limited modification, surely in the world of vehicles there is something small enough to fit and work with a 40-60HP engine, with limited machine work, say with a market price of $1000-1500.. One can dream.... I drove a conversion years ago with syncro. in all gears it was a nice experience. I feel this would be a nice upgrade and when combined with overdrive it would be a great value. Your mileage may vary.....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #31
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
it would be nice if some machinist out there could take a present day 4 speed trans and convert it to fit a Model A as a drop in using the present torque tube/ bell housing mounts without any or only very limited modification, surely in the world of vehicles there is something small enough to fit and work with a 40-60HP engine, with limited machine work, say with a market price of $1000-1500.. One can dream.... I drove a conversion years ago with syncro. in all gears it was a nice experience. I feel this would be a nice upgrade and when combined with overdrive it would be a great value. Your mileage may vary.....
What you are asking for is exactly what these fellows that make the kits that are mentioned in this thread do for you. Pricewise, you are definitely dreaming. I have one of these kits in my Pickup, and love it!

I bought mine from www.modelaonly.net It was a complete bolt in kit, no alterations to the vehicle except for the wooden floorboard where the shift lever is moved aft 1-1/2 inches.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 04-08-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add info
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
bettlesr

I got my trans from Tim Sheriden and really love it. I asked him for the wires that go on the backup light switch and he sent me the plug with about 6' of wire. I got some high power leds that were mounted in aluminum round 'bolts' and used them to hold the license plate on. Here is the information on Tim Sheridan:

Tim Sheridan repairs
9730 State Road
Nunica, MI 49448
(616) 837-6477

With this setup, you have to cut off the center upper and lower bolt holes on the clam shell that covers the universal joint. This lets it clear the cross member and the brake cross shaft. I also had to put 1/8" spacers under the mounts for the brake cross shaft. You might also have to tweak the end of the brake connecting rod from the pedal to the cross shaft so that it still hits the brake switch. Right know I can't think of what he said the clutch was from. If you need them, I took some pictures as I was installing it.
For the shifter, I used the stub from the F150 Tim supplied. I cut it down so only the straight portion was left and then ground it in half front to back. I then cut off the bottom of a new Model A shift lever and ground the opposite side off. I clamped the two pieces together and tacked them together. After tacking them together, they were installed in the trans and I tried shifting it. It took some grinding down the weld and retacking them until I was happy with the position. When satisfied, I welded the two together. Make sure it clears the seat and instrument panel before final welding.
If you have any other questions, let me know and I will try to help you.
Dick
Old 07-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #33
dphk

could I have a copy of your procedure/ thanks [email protected]
dphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #34
todd3131

Let me first off say that to each their own when it comes to cars but in my case I have had someone try to sell me an overhead conversion and higher rear end gears. I thought about it and decided what was the point my car is not a interstate cruiser,i have other cars for that,but the original transmission makes me have to relax when I drive I have to double clutch and wait for the car,which after a stressful day definitely takes the edge off. If I start to mess with heads and transmission I might as well get a street rod, and the stress relief is gone.

My transmission is 60 years old along with the clutch dis and still performs well sometimes it would be nice to have another gear but it defeats the purpose of the car.

Just my opinion

Last edited by todd3131; 07-02-2016 at 12:55 PM.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote