Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
jiw1

Default 46 pedal shaft removal

hi guys,need some info on how to remove and replace the brake and clutch pedal shaft from its housing.any info will help.thank you
jiw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: 46 pedal shaft removal

The shaft is a press fit into the bracket that mounts to the frame X-Member. The assembly will have to come out of the car to do that. That involves disconnecting brake lines from the master cylinder. Usually sloppy pedal pivots can be fixed by replacing the bronze bushings in each pedal. The bad news on that approach is that the brake pedal will not come off of the shaft with the transmission in the car. You might be tempted to remove the transmission side plate to get the brake pedal off. Don't.

There is a trick to remove the snap rings that hold the pedals on the shaft. Search "pedal snap ring" on this site.

So, unless you can live with what you have on the brake side, the assembly must come out.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
jiw1

drolston,thank you.i do have it out and all apart the bushings were worn to nothing,shaft is groved so need to replace.i am using a i think a 8 or 9 ton shop press with pressure and liquid wrench,has not moved yet,can these get pretty stubborn? should i use heat?and does the new one have to be back in? thanks again
Old 10-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
rotorwrench

You may need more pressure than that. I use a 50-ton press and it has trouble sometimes. If the shaft is in a casting, you will have to take car not to break it. If it is a forging then you can apply more pressure with less support.

Corrosion can grow between the tightest of fittings. You may have to heat the shaft up to a temperature that is getting into the red spectrum in order to apply some whup ass on the corrosion. Usually once is enough but sometimes it takes another heat cycle to break the corrosion bond. You may have to heat the mount after the shaft cools to get it apart but I wouldn't get it too hot unless it is a forging since you want to save that part.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
jiw1

hey rotorwrench,thank you.i was able to remove the shaft without heat just more liquid wrench overnight and little more pressure and it moved on out.put the new shaft in same way but after assembling the pedals found the shaft to be short.the new shaft looks to be 7/64" short,not allowing snap washers to be inserted.also snap washers will not fit in groves of new shaft.anybody come across this problem before?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
drolston

The original snap rings for the pedals are thicker than any others. See if you can find a modern snap ring that will fit the groove. Also has the advantage of working with regular snap ring pliers, which the originals most decidedly will not.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
jiw1

ok,i'll try that,but will the shaft be long enough ?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Reproduction stuff is hit or miss now days. If the grooves aren't exposed with the pedals installed then you may either have to look for the correct part or drill & tap for screws on the ends of the shaft with really big washers to keep things in place. I'd just lathe out a new shaft myself but a lot of folks don't have it that easy.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
jiw1

rotowrench,thank you for the ideas,i amgoing to try the thin style snap rings and see if the new shaft will be long enough.but i also took the old shaft to a friend in town to lathe out a new one.thank you all for your input and will let you all know what happens.thanks again