Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Pete2125

Default Windshield Wiper

Hello everyone. New member here looking for some windshield wiper advise. Let me apologize in advance for what may be a lengthy post.

For info purposes I just bought a 1930 Fordor Sedan, briggs body, early '30 has the oval speedo.

Well this car didn't have a windshield wiper installed on it when I got it, I assume it was removed at some point. Well I don't really intend on driving in the rain but I live in FL and we do get sudden unexpected rain here, so I figure it's a safety issue not to have one. I did some preliminary reseach and from what I found I was under the impression that my car originally took a Vacuum wiper motor. (My Dad's early '30 Coupe does take a vacuum motor.) So I got a trico vacuum motor off ebay from a guy that just hot rodded his 1930. Well to make a long story short it doesn't seem to fit.

There seems to be problems with the hole alignment. Firstly, in my windshield frame there are 6 holes drilled. (My Dad's car is 1000 miles away and he doesn't use internet or cell phone so I can't look at his.) Three of these holes are large diameter 3/8"-7/16" or something like that (didn't measure.) Three are smaller 1/8" or so. The middle large diameter hole is where I would think the operating lever for the motor would go, but it's just slightly out of line with the notch in the upper cross bar where the windshield frame mounts. Don't think this is such a big deal, could probably make it work, but the other holes are way off.

If you hold the wiper motor up to the windshield frame two of the smaller holes that line up best for the attachement screws (they also don't line up with the wiper motor) would center the wiper arm shaft on the notch that goes through into the car and the control would be behind the cross member. Obviously this isn't correct. If you move the motor over so the operation control is centered on the notch in the cross memeber no holes line up at all. There also isn't a hole drilled in the frame towards the passenger side where the vacuum tube would presumably exit the frame to hook to the motor.

Could this windshield frame possibly be for an electric motor? Wether vacuum or electric why are there 6 holes drilled? I could understand 4, one for the control one for the tubing or wire and two for anchor. I've attached pictures and just due to lighting and glare marked the picture with editor for easy identificaton of the smaller hole locations.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a case of someone not knowing what they were doing and drilling holes in the wrong place. The car's electrical system was hacked up to convert it to 12 volt and it was a mess. I've fixed all that and went back to a 6 volt generator with a new harness. (Yes I'm a purest.)

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Pete2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Dirtrack49

Default Re: Windshield Wiper

Hi Pete,
Congrats on getting a 30 Fordor. I am picking one up this Friday and guess what, no motor either.
It is setup for a vacuum wiper also. So, I hope someone here on the forum can let us both know what we need to do to set ourselves up with a wiper mechanism.
If you don't get an answer by Friday, I will take a look at mine and see if the holes are set up the same way.
And welcome to the forum. Lot's of good people here with great information.
Tom L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan rt ft.jpg (52.2 KB, 27 views)
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Gary WA

If early fordor 1930 it had electric wiper motor jan to jul and vacuum till end.See judging standards section 20 has all the info.Expensive and finding the right one.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Dale G.

Hello,

Judging from your pictures of the windshield frame, the holes require an electric wiper. The Restoration Guide says your car, an early 30 Fordor, had an electric wiper through June of 30. I just happen to have a Owens Dineto C-3, restored, that will fit your car. It is for sale.
You can also refer to Marco's Barn Yard web-site to see windshield frames for all Model A's and see how and what wipers to use. I am not far from you.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
Bob C

Marco posted this.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed_frame-01.jpg (63.3 KB, 136 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
ryanheacox

Early 30 would be electric wiper. Mine has the HA-C2 which was used through June '30.

Mine also has the round speedometer so parts have either been swapped over the years or it's one of the first with the round speedo and one of the last with the electric wiper.

Is there a wire running up your A pillar?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale G. View Post
Hello,

Judging from your pictures of the windshield frame, the holes require an electric wiper. The Restoration Guide says your car, an early 30 Fordor, had an electric wiper through June of 30. I just happen to have a Owens Dineto C-3, restored, that will fit your car. It is for sale.
You can also refer to Marco's Barn Yard web-site to see windshield frames for all Model A's and see how and what wipers to use. I am not far from you.
how much?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
Pete2125

Thanks everybody for the help and info. I just posted a nice reply that somehow got lost in the ether and didn't show up.
I'm coming off a 14 hour day so I'm not going to rewrite it now. Anyway I fgound all your comments and posts very helpful.
Pete2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #9
Dale G.

Gary WA,

I am asking $250. Restored by Mick Isbell before he died. Thank you.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
LarryC

I have a 1930 Tudor. I bought it in June 2019. The wiper unit mounted on driver’s side windshield has a fitting for a vacuum hose on the side facing the center of the windshield. I cannot find the fitting under the hood. Could someone direct me to some reference on fitting locations, hose routing, and windshield hole configuration for vacuum and electric wipers?
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
ryanheacox

The vacuum fitting is on the intake manifold and the line runs through the firewall close to the fuel line. Welcome to the forum!
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
RRW

Send a message via Yahoo to RRW

My early 30 Tudor has a vacuum wiper.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote