Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
They do agreed value. Your premium reflects the value you insure your car for. I don`t think paint would be an issue.
Thank you. Since my trucks aren't worth a lot in actual value, maybe in the 5000.00 range, I am more interested in the area of liability coverage.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
BL in NH

I have Hagerty on two cars, one of which is a project car. Very happy with them.
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #23
paul2748

One thing to watch out for is mileage. Some wont cover local trips unless going to a show. Some other have total mileage limitation.

I have Hagerty and they have no limits. And nice to deal with.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
50fordcoupeman

I use State Farm as that is what the rest of our insurance is. Agreed valuation by a 3rd party and limited mileage but they don't seem to ever check. Been lucky as not to have needed their service so far. Very reasonable rate.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
D. Jones

I went with Hagerty after having JC taylor for a year. Hagerty was one half the price and better coverage. When I had my garage/shop fire last year, and I was dealing with all the problems of getting the repairs for the shop and house etc going, they, Hagerty, stepped up and offered to send a tow truck at their expense to take my truck to a shop 40 miles away to have it repaired.

Can't complain about JC Taylor but, I can't say enough good things about Hagerty.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
Krylon32

I have 3 deuces and my corvette insured with Grundy. When I tried them for my 32 pu project they declined coverage? I went to Hagerty and they insured it but with a surcharge because it is going to be a driver. I now have my 32 5 window project needing insurance and am wondering which way to go. My cars have a higher appraisal so some of the smaller companies are not an option.

Last edited by Krylon32; 01-05-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
Charlie Stephens

You might ask your homeowners insurance company if you could get a rider to cover "a pile of parts". Might be cheaper.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #28
Greg58

I have my truck and car insured with American Collectors, before I started the car I took pictures of it as it was and they covered it. I have a 2500 mile cap on each and they must be in a locked building when stored. I started at 5k on my 50 and increased it as I went, I took pictures of Improvement's and they were OK with that. I haven't had a claim so I can't help there.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #29
TomT/Williamsburg

I have Grundy and have had no problems and they were great handling the accident with my roadster. However, Grundy has balked at paying the cars insured value in the event of a total loss on several occasions. Do a search on Grundy on the HAMB ..

Read the fine, fine print boys and take no one's "word" for it .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #30
Rustedjunk

I'm with Hagerty!
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #31
40fordpu

Thanks everyone. Seems pretty simple who the players are out there. Now for the homework!!!
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #32
supereal

I use Hagerty, too. Avoid the usual insurance companies. If you have a claim, they will usually only pay a fraction of the value. When my '47 was rear ended a few years ago, the company that insured the driver that hit me offered a couple of hundred dollars, when the actual cost of repairs was $2,700! I demanded an adjuster that actually knows the value of collector cars, and was paid my claim, but not for the months I spent trying to round up parts. Be sure to get an "agreed value" in your policy.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
blucar

The majority of the "car guys" I know seem to operate under the assumption that there are "free lunches" out there. All of my vintage cars are insured on stated value in lieu of actual cash value (ACV) I have been with Hagerty for over twenty-five years, never a problem.. I was with JC Taylor for many years, never had a claim, I got tired of their unreasonable renewable requirements each year.
All of my vintage cars, '36-49 (9) are modified to some degree.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #34
edhd58

I'm happy with Hagerty.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #35
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
I have Grundy and have had no problems and they were great handling the accident with my roadster. However, Grundy has balked at paying the cars insured value in the event of a total loss on several occasions. Do a search on Grundy on the HAMB ..

Read the fine, fine print boys and take no one's "word" for it .....
YowI have Grundy on two of the antique cars, looks like it's going to be Hagerty all the way for me. Thanks for your input here.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #36
mrtexas

You must submit a picture to get insurance. They won't insure a pile of parts or a woody with rotten wood for more than you paid unless you provide additional receipts.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #37
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
I use State Farm as that is what the rest of our insurance is...
I used to be with Haggerty -- and appreciate the sponsorship support they give to our local Woodies on the Wharf event -- but I switched to State Farm many years ago. My sales rep is a car guy and, when I was hit in a parking lot, he had an experienced vintage car adjuster come out to assess the damage. They let me chose my repair shop, paid the bill with no questions asked, and even dropped the deductible because the other driver was a State Farm customer. I'm extremely happy with them and the savings over Haggerty was substantial.