Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
scooder

Default Re: PVC not necessary...do this

Roger, the hole in your exhaust that you've fed the crank case vent into. Disconnect at this point and put your finger over both holes, the one in the exhaust and the breather pipe end, tell me the pressure at these points at idle, mid rage and high rpm. Apart from having a burnt finger, I'm purty damn sure the higher pressure will be the exhaust. Which way do you think the gases will travel? It won't wear out, I have to agree, but it won't work I'm sure. Like I said the proper evac systems rely on the scavenging action of high speed exhaust gas, they don't work at street rpm levels. And they must have a check valve of sorts, other wise you'll fill the crank case with exhaust gas, and only when/if you get the exhaust speed up to a point where it will pull from the breather pipe, will it have any chance of pulling the crank case gas out.
Think your barking up the wrong tree here. If you find it doesn't have the negative effects I talk of please let us know.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #22
Roger/Sacramento

Default Re: PCV not necessary...do this

Here is what I believe. There will be pressure from the exhaust to go out the tailpipe and there will be pressure from the engine to release out the pex tube. They will co-mingle and gleefully travel along until they release into the clean California air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust.jpg (6.1 KB, 8 views)

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #23
Jack E/NJ

Try the scooder finger test anyway. Just to be sure. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Last edited by Jack E/NJ; 06-21-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: afterthought
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger/Sacramento View Post
Here is what I believe. There will be pressure from the exhaust to go out the tailpipe and there will be pressure from the engine to release out the pex tube. They will co-mingle and gleefully travel along until they release into the clean California air.
If you do install a tube in the tailpipe as you have illustrated, before hooking it up to the engine a way to check your theory is to connect a water column tube to see if in fact there is a vacuum.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #25
Mike B

I think the exhaust tube would have to be dimpled, in order to create a venturi effect?...or would would the tube just have to be installed at a proper angle? In order to draw?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #26
Mike51Merc

A properly running engine (without much blowby) does not have pressure in the crankcase seeking an escape. This is why PCV systems rely on engine vacuum to pull the vapors out and also why draft tube systems rely on road draft to pull as well. Crankcase pressure is generally neutral, except that heat will cause the air to expand and seek an escape. Once the engine is hot and it escapes, the pressure is equalized and generally neutral again, except for blowby which is only significant if your engine happens to need a rebuild.

I think your device will only succeed in filling the crankcase with exhaust. If it does work, you'll be filling your exhaust with oil and water vapor.

Interesting concept, but perhaps an easier method is to buy a pulse fuel pump that allows fuel to pass through and do a typical PCV conversion.

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 06-22-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #27
Diavolo

As mentioned before, the draw needs to come from where the road draft tube is/was. There are air flow schematics that clearly show this. While I can see your point in scavenging, the whole purpose of a PCV is "positive crankcase ventilation".

IMHO, it is one of the only smog designs implemented before year 2000 that actually has a positive and useful effect on an internal combustion engine. It is certainly one of the best ideas. By actively sucking crankcase gases out of the engine, it not only actively keeps those gases and moisture out of the engine, it reduces or removes positive crankcase pressures, reducing oil seepage.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #28
Ol' Ron

Man, I lov this Forum, Thood Ginking Guys.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #29
BILL WZOREK

Work or not / I like the thought process / That is how things use to get solved
Talking over the pros & cons of something / sometimes it will let you see a problem that you may have over looked.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote