Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
dan ia

Default 1936 Pickup windshield seal

Working on putting the windshield back into the old pickup... Question about the seal. I would assume that the seal goes onto the windshield frame, not onto the body. The only problem that I am having is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how the seal goes onto the frame! I have tried every way I can think of and the seal just does not seem to fit to give a good seal against the body. Does anyone have a picture of how this is suppose to go? Thanks for all the continued help!
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: 1936 Pickup windshield seal

The windshield seal for all '36 vehicles, except the phaeton, is the 48-761290. C&G also shows a seal with molded corners, 48-701290-BD. This makes installation simpler. The seal goes on the outer flange of the windshield assembly, and should fit tight enough to allow the assembly to be handled. Look for the groove on the inside of the seal to be sure the seal is correct. Use only a new seal. and double heck to be sure you have the right one before you start. If you need to be sure the out edge is weather tight, apply a sealer between the outer edge of the seal and the body. We prefer the 3M type. It is easy to smear the edge, so masking off the adjacent body area is good idea.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
deuce lover

Go to Dennis Carpenter website and then to 35-36 closed car seal, bring page up and click on instructions.There is a cross section pic.Might be almost like the pickup.They don't show the pickup install instructions.

Last edited by deuce lover; 02-06-2020 at 03:11 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
TJ

Installation of the pickup seal should be the same as passenger car. Make sure that the groove in the winshield frame is totally free of any old rubber. If the groove is not clean so the seal can fit into it, you will never get it to fit correctly
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
dan ia

Well, I just looked up the directions on Carpenter's and boy do I feel dumb! I got this going in tonight hopefully. Thanks for the quick answers!
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
If you need to be sure the out edge is weather tight, apply a sealer between the outer edge of the seal and the body. We prefer the 3M type. It is easy to smear the edge, so masking off the adjacent body area is good idea.
Sealing the outer lip might make it kinda hard to crank the windshield open for ventilation, tho.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote