Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
zoegrant

Default 55 ford sedan fuel line

Changed my fuel tank and removed my old fuel line...now I am ready to buy my fuel line but am looking for suggestions of what to buy....options...

1...buy " oem " one piece from Inline tube...I presume difficult to install with body on frame.

2...buy a roll of copper/nickle alloy line from NAPA...easier to install due to flexability "bendability" of the fuel line.

3...buy a role of nitrile fuel line from NAPA...very easy to install. May have to change every few years....Cheap to do.

...my car is an excellant 99% original driver quality,only the gas tank is not original and I put a spin on oil filter adapter on it...not going to show the car....

which way should I to go....1....2..or..3 ???

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED.........John in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
tdlmomowers

Default Re: 55 ford sedan fuel line

I would buy a roll of line and replace it. I replaced mine on my 69 Torino with steel line, and it wasn't hard to do. You can install clips along the frame anywhere you want and make it look neat and tidy. A good quality tubing bender will help alot. I got my bender at NAPA many years ago, and it has saved me a lot of fussing and cussing.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I bought a one-piece, custom made, stainless steel fuel line for my '55 from a place called Inline Tube. Perfect fit and exactly as original including the jacketed areas. They are for body-off-frame resto installations though. I dont know if they still exist.
At that time it costed about $110 for the stainless steel. They did offer plain steel and it is much cheaper.
Inline Tube
17450 14 mile rd
Fraser, Mi 48026
toll-free order line: 800-385-9452
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
zoegrant

Dave...my car is NOT under going a body off resto so that is why I
am leaning away from the one piece OEM replacement from inline tube...but...if I cut the line about four feet from the tank and then install an electric fuel pump where I cut the line then that could work as i would be able to maneuver a four foot section in and I just might have to do that. I want to see what all my options are and am awaiting more responses to my post....bring them on guys....John
Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
parklane

Go with the copper.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Ole Don

If your car will remain stock, I would recomend 5/16 steel in 2, 3, and 4 foot sections. If you want to race the car, step up to 3/8 steel. I used the 3/8 to feed a thirsty y block. I also have an electric boost pump mounted just in front of the fuel tank for when the car hasnt been driven in a few weeks. The short lengths are easy to bend to shape and get in the tight places. When it was done I sprayed the cleaned steel with undercoating.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
zoegrant

Don...did you use the cloth loom over the steel tubing as originally done ? If so, where did you buy it ?

Parklane my Canadian friend, when you say go with the copper do you mean copper/nickle alloy or just plain copper ?...The plain copper tube can be bought in the exact quantity I need whereas the copper/nickle alloy has to be bought 25 feet at a time.....

John in CT
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
frank long island

i just did my 55 mercury wagon with a kit from eastwood i used 3/8{ PIA} to try to get into original shapes but got it close next time i will go down the inside of frame rail
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Ole Don

I followed the original route on the outside because I have larger than stock mufflers. I didnt want to pre-heat the fuel. I used some cotton loom cover on the pieces that I cut and flared, the one that goes over the frame rail at the rear, and again at the front. The loom cover came from Macs. I used rubber coated Adel clamps screwed into the factory clip holes on the side of the frame.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
zoegrant

This info is very helpful. Now I know where to buy the loom and I did not realize that Eastwood sold brake lines...I am leaning toward the copper/nickle alloy lines from NAPA which are or at least appear easier to shape,even at 5/16 o.d. and then install the Eastwood cloth loom where needed...
Anyone ever use just a plain copper line ?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
parklane

John......was thinking just the regular copper line, cuz as you say, its easier to shape, and will not rust out. However it is softer, so theoretically, it could be damaged easier than steel. JMHO.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
steve fritz

I am in the process of running new fuel lines on my 55 Ford Wagon project. The old original fuel lines are no longer present to use for patterns. Question for you guys that have done this:
Did Ford use any kind of flexible rubber line at the very end where the steel line goes into the tank? Or is it just plugged in direct from the steel line?
Also , on the routing as it comes out of the tank , does the line take a quick 90 degree bend out towards the frame rail before it is fastened to that rail, or how does it clear the rear axel tube , so no danger of being hit my up/down movement of axel.
Maybe a picture would be great?
Thanks for any help.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

On both cars and wagons, FOMOCO had metal tubbing & fitting connected directly to the back of the tank. The original routing was immediate 90 degree turn out of the tank, tubing run upward toward floor of car, then another 90 degree turn toward driver side frame rail, then another 90 degree turn to run the line along inside of the frame rail. There is one clip on that side that fastens the tubing to the frame rail. Somewhere around where the frame straightens out flat, the metal tubing transitions from the inside to outside frame rail, then bend the tubing down to line up with row of clips for fastening the tubing to outer frame rail.
The original tubing did not have any terminations and transitions to rubber anywhere. The only part in the system that has any rubber is the flexible fuel line to fuel pump hose.
At the two points where the metal line transitions from along the inside frame rail to outside, they put a tar-impregnated fabric sleeve around the tubing to prevent metal-to-metal contact between the tubing and the frame or floor of the car.

I was a little puzzled by this post at first, noticing that it is ten years old, till I scrolled to the bottom.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #14
scicala

I used Inline Tube stainless brake lines on the '55 Ranch Wagon that I sold to Steve Fritz, and they fit perfect with perfect duplication of the stone guard and black sleeve. Inline Tube is only 3 miles from my house, and they have a very good reputation. I don't think the fuel line will be difficult to install, since it runs on the side of the frame.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
scicala

I guess I didn't notice how old this thread was. Oops !

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
steve fritz

Dave and Sal ,
thanks for your replies.
Dave , I appreciate your detail on this. I would have missed the first 90 degree upward turn , then over to the frame and then forward before going outboard to the outer side of the frame rail and then forward again.
I think my plan will be much easier now , going to put one union after going outboard and then one more union up front before going up into the engine compartment to fuel pump.
I wish I could master the attachment procedures on the FORD BARN site! Everytime I try to attach pics I get nowhere, very frustrating. Years ago it was so easy and I was successful every time. Lately , the past couple years , I get nowhere.
Maybe our site administrator could post a "how to attach pics" step by step ???
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #17
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
... I wish I could master the attachment procedures on the FORD BARN site! Everytime I try to attach pics I get nowhere, very frustrating. Years ago it was so easy and I was successful every time. Lately , the past couple years , I get nowhere.
Maybe our site administrator could post a "how to attach pics" step by step ???
I agree, it was easier a few years ago.
In order to save space on their host server images can't be larger than 1.99 MB. The previous upload process used to take larger images and re-size them automatically. Now a 'large' photo in your computer has to be re-sized before uploading or you'll get an *upload failed* message. Re-sizing is a slight pita if you aren't familiar with the process.

Step 2... Along with the other changes that happened a few years ago, there are now 2 different styles of Comment/Reply text box, a Quick Reply and an "Advanced" reply. Only the Advanced reply box has a Paperclip emblem in the upper border to click on, it opens a popup box to browse thru your computer files to the image you want to attach.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-09-2020 at 10:18 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #18
steve fritz

dmsfrr....thanks for the reply. Now I just need to figure out how to adjust my cell phone camera to take a smaller size image. I can work on that.
I never knew about "step 2" , thanks for the info on that , I will try it next time , as soon as I get my pictures down to a smaller MB , below 1.99 with my cell phone.
Thanks again .....when I finish my fuel line I will send some pics to this thread.
Steve
Old 05-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Steve, I am not familiar with the capabilities of digital cameras (I have an el-cheapo $12.00 digital camcorder), but mine doesn't have that option (if any of them do). The way I always done it was to shrink the photo size after uploading it in the computer using the microsoft photo editor that you probably also have on yours.
All my photos in the past couple years have gone in without shrinking, but resolution of my camera is not the best either. It's about 20 yrs old.
Main thing is when replying to a post that you want to add a photo in, don't use the quick-reply button. Used the advanced button at bottom. It allows you to attach photos with button that looks like a paper-clip.
When you hit the paper-clip button, a new window opens. Hit the box that says browse photos. Then select the photo in your computer hard drive that you want to post. If you want more than one, hit the browse button again and keep going. After selecting all photos you want hit the UPLOAD button and wait until it says upload complete. Then close that window. Now back at your post, hit the paper-clip again and a little box will pop up listing the photos you just uploaded. Hit the insert button. Sometimes, the photos won't show up in your post until you actually submit your post, then they will be on there.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
Jwawhite

I was having trouble with my fuel line seal at the tank. I think the male protrusion just inside the female connection on the tank was defective. I finally pulled the tank and had a radiator shop braze in a 5/16" nipple. I now have a 5/16 fuel line hose screw clamped to a metal fuel line. Perhaps a weak point I'll have to live with.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote