Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
1930 coupe

Last edited by 1930 coupe; 02-24-2016 at 05:25 PM.
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Installing Upholstery Kit

Several of us recently installed a new top on a 30 Town Sedan. The car still has the original upholstery, which is mostly shot. The head liner had been removed to facilitate replacing several broken wood bows.

Lucky thing the head liner was not there. While driving nails in for the top along the right side of the car we managed to drive a nail dead center through the wire for the dome light. The nail was also touching the chicken wire on top that shorted out the electrical.

The original dome light wiring ran along the right side and through a hole in the wood and down to the switch on the right door post. The nail went dead center through the hole and into the wire.

When we were finished and went to start the car we found the fuse blown. The first area to trouble shoot was where we had been driving nails.

Were it me I would do the top first, the head liner second.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
700rpm

I'm with Tom. Top first, then headliner.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Ed Saniewski

Top first, then test it with a garden hose to make sure it is sealed up. you would not want to stain the headliner in the first storm you get caught in due to a leak. Don't ask how I know this.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
KGBnut

I just did my '30 Coupe this summer. I agree. Do the roof first.

One of the things I liked about doing it this way was that I was able to inspect the underside of the newly installed roof. I ensured that there were no pointy ends of chicken wire where they may poke through my new roof; inspected for bad nails; etc. I also drove mine this way for about three weeks listening for rattles or squeaks, and took care of a few small things before I closed it all up with the headliner.

I drove it in hard rain and had no leaks. I didn't think to use a garden hose... I like that idea.

I found roof to be a two day job (being cautious and taking my time). Headliner I did in an afternoon.

Oh, one more thing, I also took the time to put in sound insulation before installed the headliner and interior, and was glad I did.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
david801

I am about to install the top and headliner on a 1928 Fordor and wondered the same thing, which to do first. I found something on Youtube where they did the headliner first, pointing out that it is much easier to see what you are doing because the top is not on. They also took the floor pans out so they could stand up while installing the headliner. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33dNXD2lBQ
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
ctvpa

Having just done this, the answer is a little of both.
You have to place the chicken wire first, then the fabric & padding.
I put the top on, and checked it with water.
I saved the interior and headliner for the very last. To save it from greasy finger prints, accidental damage.
The link to the site about installing the headliner will save you hours and you will get great results. Their huge hints are to use 3M spray adhesive, allowing you to make changes. Second is all the books have you fit the side panels, draw a chalk mark and use a million tacks. I got a stable/ brad shooter from Harbor freight for $11. I did not tack the runner first, I used the adhesive and set it on the side panel. It came out great.
Other option for the person doing the Fordor, the diablo A's video http://www.management-advantage.com/...stallation.htm has a different approach using a fiber board rather than the wire and fabric. I did not do it , but it is a great video with many helpful hints no matter what way you do it.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Jordan

Don't forget to insulate up there while you've got everything apart, you'll be thankful you did.