Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
FirstA

Default Radiator Question

I am having my stock 29 radiator re-cored. My question is how far the neck should stick up above the shell. I have two 29 radiators and the neck height is different on them by almost 2 inches. Might be a silly question and the answer will probably be, tall enough to get the cap on but not too tall. Thanks everyone!
FirstA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: Radiator Question

FirstA - I found you question interesting from the stand point is I don't recall this ever being asked, or any related info published.

I want out to the trusty Fordor and looked; mine is also a '29 and the neck sticks up enough for the cap to thread on tight with about 3/16" between the bottom of the cap and the very top of the radiator cowl (where the neck opening on the cowl ends). Hope this makes sense.

Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Here is my all original parts 9-27-28 cap, radiator and shell. The lip (ring) on the bottom of the radiator cap just covers the top of the lip on the radiator shell, so you shouldn't see any neck on the radiator.

.522" neck is above the shell

The neck on my spare original 1929 radiator sticks up 1.478" above the top tank.

If you have one 2" extra tall, it would make a nice chimney.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I don't see how just recoring will change the height of the neck unless the neck is replaced. I have had problems with the neck being too low on my 29 s . It can be caused by a repro radiator or a repro radiator shell . This one has a repro radiator and an original radiator shell. I ended up having to grind down the neck on the shell and the lower ring on the cap so it would have enough threads to securte the cap. The original shell was rough but was the shell that came with the car when I got it over 50 years ago when I was 13. The shell was too rough to be replated so I did some body work on it and painted it silver like it was when I got it.I wanted to retain as much of the parts that came with the car as I could . The repro radiator was the problem. It is just a fun strip down so I did what I had to do within reason to make it work.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Here it is with the cap on and tight. Its an old repro cap, I wouldn't grind on a good original cap.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
FirstA

The neck is loose on the radiator that is being rebuilt. I think both of my radiators are repo since they do not have the funnel shaped top. They were both from AAs. Thanks for the answers and the pictures!
FirstA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Joe K

Give your man both the radiator to be re-cored AND the shell. Also the pix showing correct extension. That way he can get it right first try.

He'll thank you as your chance of being a satisfied customer is GREATLY increased.

Joe K
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote