Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #41
McMimmcs

Default Re: AAA for breakdowns in antique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Only had to use AAA one time- On the all-original unrestored fordor. The original babbit splattered on the way home from my dad's house, and had to get it towed home.

I requested a flatbed on the phone. They asked what make/year, etc. I told them 1929 Ford Model A. The phone lady said that they don't tow modified or lowered vehicles. I told her this is the most UNmodified car they will ever experience. Had to explain, she just assumed it was a hotrod.

2.3 hours later, large flatbed truck shows up. Driver is not in good mood from the start. He first hooked onto the front axle right in the middle, placing the J-hook around the tie rod also. I told him he was doing it wrong, and he got upset with me. Some words were exchanged when I informed him I have an engineering degree, and showed him what he had done. Driver said "Fine, hook it up however you want". So, I got on my back and hooked some of the greasiest chains you ever saw around the ends of my front axle at the spring perches.

Driver did the rest of the loading, under my watchful eye. Once we started driving, I asked him to please keep the speed under 55 MPH so the visor over the windshield doesn't blow off (what I was really worried about was the original top material possibly flapping in the high wind). The speed limit was 45 and one small part of 55 on the way to my house. He got upset that I would even mention it. He did start to creep past 55 close to 60 MPH once, and I brought it to his attention. He looked at me like he was going to throw me out of his truck.

Once we got to my house, the driver said he wasn't going to back up to the shop, he would ONLY drop the car on the street in front of my house. I said "OK fine. That's where I want it". Unloading was uneventful.

I tipped him $10 (even though he REALLY didn't deserve it) and thanked him.

That's my one and only experience. AAA road service member since 1987.
Did you relate your experience to AAA customer service and what was their response ? Give them a chance to rectify before posting on social media.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #42
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Did you relate your experience to AAA customer service and what was their response ? Give them a chance to rectify before posting on social media.

Rectify WHAT? I shared a true story of what happened. I'm not complaining or ranting. If you took my post as a complaint or rant, then you must think history books are nothing but rants. I told a story. Why do you believe I am not allowed to post this on "social media" before "giving them a chance to rectify"? Is it your wish to silence me?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #43
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Rectify WHAT? I shared a true story of what happened. I'm not complaining or ranting. If you took my post as a complaint or rant, then you must think history books are nothing but rants. I told a story. Why do you believe I am not allowed to post this on "social media" before "giving them a chance to rectify"? Is it your wish to silence me?
It certainly sounded to me that you were unhappy. I am a business person and a sign in my business says “ If you’re unhappy with our service tell us, if you are happy tell others”!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #44
31 Woody

I have had AAA since 1995, some years I use the heck out of it, some I never use it. But I don’t leave home without it. Some good stories:
- Bought a ‘73 Mustang that had rust in the gas tank amongst other issues. Due to the seller delaying us, we didn’t depart for home until dusk. Wife had 2 screaming kids under the age of 3 in the car following. Started to drive home, made it 2 miles. Stopped not by choice of course, but found a well lit gas station to work under. I cleared out the filter and then drove on. This time I only made it a mile. Turned into the only place I could, a dark street in an industrial area. Did NOT get out of the car. Contemplated—what would my Dad do? Then did the opposite, I called AAA. At that time 7 miles was my limit and I was 40 miles from home. Had it towed to my office. From my office, a good friend/coworker used his AAA to have it towed home the next day. Upgraded my AAA membership the following day.
- Was restoring my ‘69 Mach 1, it was just a shell. Literally, nothing bolted to it except a cart with some metal wheels to roll it. I wanted it hauled to work so I could paint it. Called AAA. The driver pulled up, looked, then told me it has to be a “car!” He declined towing me. I had to scramble to find a tow company that would haul it as I was on a timeline. I don’t blame AAA for that one. They have hauled MANY other projects for paint, but they were at least on their own 4 wheels.
- Shortly after getting the Model A, Dad put a new float on the fuel gauge before he left for home. I took the aforementioned screaming kids and the wife for an A ride. Gauge said 1/2 tank.... Sure did get great gas mileage until it stopped. Thank goodness for the AAA card.
- Haven’t used the AAA card in a few years, but there is always tomorrow. It is in the wallet just in case.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #45
Synchro909

Sounds like they offer a great service. Do you think it's worth me joining?
Seriously, I have our local equivalent of their top membership which gives us a tow home and rental car to get ourselves home from anywhere in the country. I've used it twice in 15 years but have no desire to abandon it.