Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
khschs

Default 32 windshield glass install

I am pondering how to best install the glass into the windshield frame on my chopped 32 sport coupe. I have considered using setting tape but the frame channel is not perfect. I'm thinking about bedding the glass in some sort of silicone. I realize it would be very difficult to remove the glass should the need arise.
To the question, has anyone used the silicone method? What product did you use? Was the result satisfactory?
I am looking for guidance as I have no experience with glass.
Keith
khschs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 32 windshield glass install

Glass bedding provides a cushion for the glass. The silicone will not. You should consult a glass guy if possible. If you have never dealt with glass I would try to find a glass guy to make the install. Glass is not cheap, so experimenting with it can get costly.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Jockeyshift41

Careful with silicone. Most have vinegar in it. It’s what you smell when you open a tube. Acids eat metal.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Krylon32

If you silicone it it will be very difficult to change the glass if you need to replace it. I use setting tape in all the windshields in my deuces.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

Setting tap is the way to go. Since your frame is not perfect why not use JB weld epoxy to repair the bad areas then once thats set use the tap.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
khschs

Thanks for the input. I am a guy who likes to do new things,it's the way I learn. I do put a lot of stock in learning from the experience of others. Given that, I think I'll give the settling tape a try. Does the tape come in various thickness and can you recommend a source?
Keith
Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
cas3

use friction tape, that way you can layer it on to the thickness you want, then razor blade the excess off when done
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by khschs View Post
Thanks for the input. I am a guy who likes to do new things,it's the way I learn. I do put a lot of stock in learning from the experience of others. Given that, I think I'll give the settling tape a try. Does the tape come in various thickness and can you recommend a source?
Keith
Setting tape does come in various thicknesses. I suspect you can probably buy it on-line.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by khschs View Post
Keith
Bob Drake has it if it's not out of stock.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
T Scott

I did two 34 windshields with 1/16" glass setting tape. Slid the glass in the frame with pipe clamps with wood between the frame and the glass. Trim the excess with a razor knife.
C&G Ford parts and The Early Ford Store have tape in various thicknesses.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #11
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockeyshift41 View Post
Careful with silicone. Most have vinegar in it. It’s what you smell when you open a tube. Acids eat metal.
True. My wife had to get a w/s repair while I was out of town. ( another kind of outside car ) Its taken 20 years but the evidence is a w/s frame that has been eaten from the inside out, in a manner that does not reflect a drainage problem. Rather its a random globular thing.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
Royal Ryser

This is a sad but educational story. In my 36 sedan, I installed a new windshield glass using setting tape. I cracked that glass while trying to get it in proper position in the frame. I took the second glass to a glass place and had them set it in "silicone" (may have been some type of polyurethane.) I cracked that glass while trying to put it in place, by tightening a set screw too tightly. Back to the glass place. He removed the cracked glass, no problem, and installed the new one. I had thought there might be a problem removing the glass set in "silicone" but it was old hat to him.
Beside all of the dumb mistakes I made, the installation is great. The glass looks good in the frame. My car is not for judging so I don't know if there is a point reduction for using "silicone" in this way. It sure does make a neat installation.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
Jockeyshift41

They do make a urethane sealant for windshields. It’s also used in some wheels that are two piece such as CenterLines for tubeless applications. You can buy it at most auto parts stores. Fair warning... it sticks REALLY GOOD!
Old 05-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
alchemy

We just installed a new glass in a 32 5-window windshield frame. I used six strips of setting tape positioned around the frame to keep the glass from contacting the frame. But the sealing was done via a bead of 3M windshield urethane in the groove and then around the gap.

If you do it this way have some nice masking tape to make a clean edge on the glass, and it will pull up a nice clean line like you were painting a two-tone panel. Also have a lot of paper towels and a jug of lacquer thinner to clean the urethane off the frame itself. Your fingers will have black stains for days though.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
khschs

Thanks Alchemy, sounds like a good way of solving the problem. Did you use regular settling tape or something similar for your spacing mechanism? I assume you ran a continuous bead in the bottom of the channel, set the windshield in and then caulked the perimeter. Sound about right? This method will probably preclude easy removal. I don't plan on ever removing it. Do you have any, "if I had to do it over again I would" , thoughts?
Keith
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
alchemy

I used some regular old fashioned setting tape, cut to about 6 inch strips, and taped them crossways over the edge of the glass so I wouldn't need many extra hands as we were lowering the glass into the frame.

We had a guy on each end of the frame pulling the ends apart, as I lowered the glass through the tight spot. Then we pulled it back outward about 6 inches and squirted the urethane into the groove. Pushed the glass back down, then to one side and squirted into the other side groove. Then the opposite. Then squirted the bottom bar groove, installed it, and made sure the glass was now centered in the frame.

Then we cleaned up any urethane that globbed out and layed the frame flat. We cut the overlapping tabs of the tape off the upward side and masked a nice line, and squirted the urethane around that side. Do about a foot at a time and wipe it smooth with lacquer thinner to clean up. Pull the masking tape after the whole side is done.

We waited a day to flip the frame and seal the other side.

I can say the urethane tube needs to be warm to flow good. We did the first side on a cold day and the calking gun really didn't want to push easily. The next day I warmed up the tube in a pot of hot water before use.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
khschs

Great step by step instructions, I'm sure you helped me avoid a a potentially sticky mess. I will be getting the materials ordered and getting on with the project. I appreciate your help.
Thanks, Keith