Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
gadgetgeeza

Default Model A Taxi Cab

We live in the Peak District in the UK. I am currently getting the '29 Phaeton licensed as a taxi (cab) to do tours in the area for holiday visitors. It will be the first pre 1930 (vintage) car licensed for private hire in the UK. What recommendations do you have to prep the car? It has cast brake drums, I've bought the Flat Head Ted floaters. It has two rear lights but is on 6 volts.
gadgetgeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Taxi Cab

I'm sure the authorities in the UK already have a list of requirements. I'd start there first.

As far as others, IMHO an experienced professional Model-A mechanic should inspect all things mechanical and "sign-off" that everything is safe mechanically as this is not something you want to extend your liability to if you are not knowledgeable about Model-A mechanicals.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetgeeza View Post
We live in the Peak District in the UK. I am currently getting the '29 Phaeton licensed as a taxi (cab) to do tours in the area for holiday visitors. It will be the first pre 1930 (vintage) car licensed for private hire in the UK. What recommendations do you have to prep the car? It has cast brake drums, I've bought the Flat Head Ted floaters. It has two rear lights but is on 6 volts.
Nothing wrong with that. In fact the closer you stay to original, the more reliable you will probably have the A. Cast drums are good. I'd install the filter in the shut off valve and use an electronic voltage regulator for the generator. Since your car is for hire, turn signals might be good for you, but I'm fine with hand signals. Use antifreeze and keep every moving part lubed and you should be fine.

Will you use the car year round, or will you park it during road salt season?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
nosbod

As a fellow UK Phaeton owner I can say the floater kit works very well giving good braking performance. I have stuck to the 6 volt system again without problems and I don't suppose you will be doing after dark excursions anyway which may show up any short comings. I have installed a water temperature gauge for peace of mind and a cut out switch as a safety precaution but apart from that have kept things standard with no obvious
problems arising. I think Henry got is basically right in the first place . Best of luck.
John
nosbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Oil filter and air filter to get max use out of your engine since you are using it for business.
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
gadgetgeeza

The legal side in the UK is quite strict. I now have local authority formal relaxations on a number of their requirements including type approval ( crash testing etc) no seat belts, inadequate luggage capacity, permanent top and side weatherproofing, and minimum age of 3 years old! Otherwise the spec is up to me. The car will be inspected by the local authority mechanics every 6 months. My concerns are reliability and performance. It will only be run for the summer season but could be doing up to 100 miles per day 7 days a week. No runs in the dark. Will it do it? Do I need gym membership? How best to connect a cigar lighter to the electrics for the gps?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
gadgetgeeza

I bought an air filter but they don't fit a right hand drive car - steering column in the way. Is the oil filter really worth while?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
1930artdeco

As far as the oil filter goes I am not sure you need it. If you have a full pressure system then yes. But if you have a stock engine then probably not. Remember if they can have taxis back in 28-31 w/o filters and they lasted on those dirty roads then on our clean roads it should be fine. The difference is you will have to change oil much more frequently w/o a filter.

That is my opinion.

Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I bought an air filter but they don't fit a right hand drive car - steering column in the way. Is the oil filter really worth while?
Ponder a thought on how many Model-A's traveled how many miles in harsh environments without an oil filter.

It is good to hear they are making exceptions for you regarding necessary requirements to be a Taxi. Best of luck to you in your new business venture! Sounds exciting!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
MikeK

I'm thinking seat belts, not so much for the front impact crash protection, but just to keep customers seated where they belong. Model A door latches can and do pop open if banged hard enough on the inside by an oversized, overenthusiastic tourist bum. There is no interlocking capture pin like modern latches.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Jim/GA

Quote:
No. If you are really driving that much per week, plan to change the oil often (like every 2 weeks) and the contamination will not have time to build up much before you dump the oil.

Sounds like a fun way to tour on old roads to see the sights.

Are you near Buxton?
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
juke joint johnny

I hope your in the British Model A Club mafcgb.org.uk
Might be worth Contacting John Buckley for advice . He's on the Barn and does a lot of miles all over Europe
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
ctlikon0712

I would get the grease point poster and have that done per schedule. Also read the owners manual for your year A.

http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...owners-manual/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lube & maint. schedule.pdf (47.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Ed Wendell

[QUOTE= "How best to connect a cigar lighter to the electrics for the gps?"

Not sure what you have availible in the UK, but several of the Model A supply houses here list an inverter for 6V Positive Ground to 12V Negetive Ground, 2.5 Amps. That should be more than enough power for a GPS unit. Or Google [COLOR=#006621]www.radiosforoldcars.com/power.htm You may also find a supplier in the UK.[/COLOR]

On a safety note, I would consider installing the LED Stop/Tail lights. They show up much better that the incandescent bulbs.

Good luck on your journey.

Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I insulated the socket and hose clamped it to the steering column. This way you can run the center contact to + ground and run the outside to the starter switch or terminal box. 6 volts works my GPS just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Brentwood Bob

Research the outer rear wheel bearings. Do not try to lube from the zerks. Probably best to annually pull the rear hubs and repack the bearings.
Seat belts for all occupants.
Do you need a backup driver? Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
dave in australia

Quote:
Try here for RHD air filters
http://www.earlyfordparts.co.nz/right_hand_drive.htm
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Quote:
I used to deliver pizzas and I could put 500 miles on my car a week.

2000 miles a month.

change oil every 500 miles:
5 bucks per quart. 20 bucks per oil change. 80 bucks in oil a month. Oil change every week= your time($)

Change oil every 3000 miles with oil filter change:
5 bucks per quart etc etc.

There are some synthetic oils that claim 15000 mile oil changes.

As for the air cleaner, the roads are cleaner. So why does everyone still have a air cleaner on their modern car? We even added air cleaners to our turbine engined Blackhawk helicopters when I was in Iraq. The engines lasted MUCH longer. Even those flying from hard-stand to hard-stand.

My two cents..... Pot is now stirred. .... Please continue the thread...
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I insulated the socket and hose clamped it to the steering column. This way you can run the center contact to + ground and run the outside to the starter switch or terminal box. 6 volts works my GPS just fine.
Tom is on the right track, because the original Model A is setup positive earth. You need to have the outer shell of the power outlet negative and it will short out to anything it touches.

There was a post here not too long ago with a wonderful little power outlet to use on these cars. It is a fully insulated plastic shell (so not shorting out) with 2 wires coming out that you can connect however you need. Where you would connect the black wire to earth on a modern car, you can connect the red wire on the Model A.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116118

I bought one for my Dad to put in his car.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
gadgetgeeza

This has been very useful. The argument for an oil filter is fairly convincing. Think I'll see how popular it is first before fitting. Like the idea of the led rear lights - will definitely fit. I won't be fitting the seat belts as it implies a level of safety that I can't prove and possible don't offer. The blurb will say no belts. Doors opening is not such a problem as you can't fall out. My gps also runs on 6v so a simple socket fixed to the steering column sounds good. The turn indicators are already fitted.
Anybody got any ideas on a suitable clock for the dash to keep me on time?
The R&D air filters look like a nightmare. I'll just stay off the dusty roads;-)
I am a member of the MAFCGB - John used to own my car.
We are close to Buxton. I have five routes planned. The website should be up and running in the next couple of days - www.vintageadventuretours.co.uk
It will be a great way to spend an afternoon, for that is. Paid to drive a Model A in the countryside. Can it get better? Might need some help on the driving though if it gets popular.
Keep it coming