Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
91A-77B

Default '37 Cad/LaSalle trans to 59A or 8BA

Need adapter. Putting into '40 Ford chassis. Want to adapt Ford rear trans mount to LaSalle floorshift case, to retain torque tube drive. Anyone out there done this, or have leads as to where I can find adapter? Tried all the adapter companies, no one has one.
Also, info on assembly/disassembly of trans would be appreciated. Email me at [email protected].
Thanks, guys
Bill
91A-77B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: '37 Cad/LaSalle trans to 59A or 8BA

There are adapters of this sort for sale frequently on the HAMB. I found 2 old magazine articles (one very good, one terrifyingly incompetent) on the torque tube adapting, and both have been posted on the HAMB, AND there have been several good tech articles on the trans itself in there as well, written by people with experience.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

We made several of these back in the late 50's from a 2" block of aluminun, as the input shaft is very long. However, we were using open drive rear ends.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
91A-77B

Thanks, Bruce. Not familiar with how to retrieve posts and tech articles you mention on the HAMB. Would appreciate some assistance, if you have the time. Many thanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
91A-77B

Thanks, Ol' Ron. I'm going to measure difference between length of Ford trans and LaSalle. If LaS is longer, the 2" spacer plus extra LaS length may mean shortening input shaft so location of front engine mounts and rear trans mount can remain in the same chassis location.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91A-77B View Post
.... location of front engine mounts and rear trans mount can remain in the same chassis location.
Not gonna happen. Unless you can shorten the input, you will need to move the rear trans mount back, and shorten your torquetube.
alchemy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
91A-77B

I agree. Shortening the input shaft would be the answer, if it can be shortened enough. Don't want to mess with the frame, and shortening the torque tube would be a lot more work than doing the input.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

What it the advantage of the Cadillac/LaSalle transmission? I'm too young to have any experience with the Cadillac LaSalle transmission. I am assuming that it is a stronger transmission able to hold up under more extreme driving conditions? My grandfather had a '40 LaSalle sedan but it was gone by the time I was born.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Very popular in the late 50's and early 60's behind blown Olds.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
woodiejon

The Lasalle trans is about 3" longer than the ford. You can remove the rear tailstock, remove the rear output shaft. It has to be shortened & resplined & drill & tap for a ford u-joint. Machine a ford trans mount to fit & bolt to the trans. Your drive shaft will have to be cut too. There are some old hot rod mag, specs on this on the hamb.If you want I will find them & post.
woodiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Those old boxes were about as close to bullet proof as you could get back in the day but they are still a 3-speed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
What it the advantage of the Cadillac/LaSalle transmission? I'm too young to have any experience with the Cadillac LaSalle transmission. I am assuming that it is a stronger transmission able to hold up under more extreme driving conditions? My grandfather had a '40 LaSalle sedan but it was gone by the time I was born.
I'm not sure there is any advantage to a Caddy LaSalle behind a flathead other than the WOW/nostalgia factor. Back in 1958 I ran a Caddy LaSalle behind a 354 CI Hemi in order to deal with the Hemi's torque (390 lbft) and HP (325). It was the only trans available at that time that I could find that would stand up to that level of performance and take a beating in the process. For our flatheads there are other less pricey ways to deal with that today.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Ol' Ron

I think the T-170 is probably the best bet here, nice floor shift and OD to boot. Can be converted to torque, but the torque nust be shortened. OR convert to opend drive which I think is the better option.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
91A-77B

I'm building a period flattie. Nothing newer than what an old-school rodder would have had to work with in 1948. I have a 1938 McCulloch supercharger, and am doing what the boys were wrenching before the overheads came in '49. Building a 59-A. Remember, REAL hot rods don't have valve covers! They also don't have billet anything, 4-speeds, etc., etc.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
91A-77B

wododie john, if you could retrieve those articles, I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I have a LaS trans that has been converted to an Olds short tailshaft, but that's an open-drive option, which isn't my first choice.
Thanks,
Bll
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #16
expavr

You might get some info regarding an adaptor from these folks.
http://www.egmcartech.com/store/Cadi...657605810.html
The other possibility is modifying a Hogshead to fit the Caddy LaSalle transmission using it as the adaptor along with reworking the input shaft. Its not likely that whichever way you go the use of the Caddy transmission will fit the OEM trans envelope on the 40 chassis which means reworking both the X member and the torque tube/driveshaft. FWIW there were a lot of flathead and OHV powered rods running around with a Ford toploader and LZ gears back in the day which is in keeping with your build idea. Unless you are planning to do some serious racing you will have significant $$$$ invested in the Cad LaSalle modification that might be better used elsewhere. JMO.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
George/Maine

Its nice to do old school but the rear-ends are still old and tapered shafts could brake easy. Most people could care less with that trans.
What was done in the day was use a 39 or truck trans.
This is what I did on my 47 put a truck case and tube back./or just use a 39 floor shift.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Ol' Ron

The last Cad/ LaSal transmission I bought cost 75 bucks, and I thought that waz very expensive. So we went to Buicks they were cheaper.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
91A-77B

Cad LaSalle trans is my choice for 2 main reasons; ratios and bulletproof synchros. Anyone who's had experience seeing "gold flecks" in their gear oil after a few hard flathead trans shifts, knows the weakness of the Ford synchros. Anyhow, guys, the LaS route is the one I'm going to follow. I appreciate all the advice, but that's not what I need. If you look at my first post, I need an adapter, and any tech info on the mods I need to make. Anyone with experience rebuilding one?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #20
Ol' Ron

The cad/ LaSale trans had several problems as I recall The first was the pin in the shift lever, it broke quite easy when speed shifting. This also lead to the shift levers bending. There was a shop in BP CT that made "W0w" pins and shift levers. Also the old cad/LaSale syncros were useless in a high RPM engine as they locked up around 4k. Probably why the pins broke and the levers bent. The side shift boxes had the same gears so things didn't get any better. However the Blown drag cars of the day used them, before B&M began producing their beefed auto transmissions. I know this dates me, I broke allot of Sh*t