Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
rbertan

Default No Spark

I just finished a 12month total restoration of a 1931 Deluxe Roadster.

Everything that needed replaced WAS replaced. So I go to start it for the first time and it won't start. Turns over fine but won't fire.

The carb is new, the distributor is new (points set to .020), the wiring is new, the plugs are new (gapped to .035), the ignition switch is new (pop-out type)....but no spark at the spark plugs. 6 volts at the coil (which is new)….ammeter deflects left when the key is turned on....needle stays still when the engine is cranked....(timing was set with a Nu-Rex wrench)

I've checked all the wiring connections over and over...everything seems to be in the right place....???

What am I missing???? I'm betting it's something simple I'm missing but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out... HELP!!!!!
rbertan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
shew01

Default Re: No Spark

With a business card between the points and the ignition switch on, do you get 6 volts on the movable point arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I always sand the contacts on new points before using . If that didn't work I would suspect the condenser . Some of the new low priced condensers made in China could be the problem . NAPA can get good condensers at a higher price than the so called modern condensers offered by many of the model A parts vendors . Most modern vehicles haven't used condensers in fifty years. The later condensers offered for use on the model A is the last style condensers used by Ford .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
chrs1961815

Check for a hot blue spark from the points. Then maybe check your ignition switch as it could be that as well.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Mike Peters

You mentioned that your ammeter deflected when switch was turned. That's good and indicates that your points were in the closed position. You also mentioned that your ammeter did NOT deflect when cranking the engine. It should. If not, it's because your points and/or condenser is not working. With points closed and switch on, hold your high tension wire that goes between the distributor cap and coil 1/8" or so from a head bolt and open the points with your finger. You should see a nice blue spark.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

I would suspect the new parts. I had a new condenser from NAPA fail with just a few miles on it, I checked everything and thought it couldn't be the new condenser.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
ryanheacox

Did you rebuild the distributor? If so did you bend the terminal on the wire from lower to upper plate at 90 degrees? If not it can touch the spring and ground out. That would give the steady deflection on the ammeter even while the engine cranks.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
Mike Peters

One more wild guess.. Did you turn the popout connection in tight to the distributor body? If so, it's too tight. A couple turns will do. Otherwise, you can short the buss bar in the lower plate.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
Licensed to kill

M<y car had no spark this spring after being stored for two years. On the advice from Jacksonhill, I changed out the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the coil and it fired right up. I have NO idea why they worked as the wire I removed LOOKED like brand new but it did and from Jacksonhill's comments, it seems to be not all that uncommon of a problem. I made up a spare wire and carry it under the seat.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote