Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
rbassemir

Default Halogen conversion kit experience

I see Mac's has a halogen conversion kit for my 1935 Ford Convertible Sedan with a stock 6 volt setup. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit.

Searching the forum I see comments like the halogenbulbs draw more current than the generator can supply.

It also looks like if I use that kit, I loose my current parking lights. I also can't tell if the kit includes a high beam.

Another forum comment I read was the halogen beam is not focused well.

Maybe I just need new reflectors, but I thought I would ask if any of you have used this kit and if you were pleased with the results.
rbassemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Halogen conversion kit experience

Been there done that! Several years ago when I was rebuilding my '39 Plym conv cpe I was faced with the problem of how to replace the sealed beam headlight conversion on the '39, with correct reflector lights. After reading several articles about halogen conversions for the stock set of headlights I had acquired, I bought a halogen conversion kit for my stock reflectors.
I had already converted the electrical system to 12v and installed a PLAINLESS wiring system in the car. I had to modify the stock reflectors to accommodated the halogen receptacles, which ruined the reflectors for a stock application in the future.
The halogen lights put out a lot of light, however, the halogen bulbs don't match the prism's of the stock lens so the light is not correctly directed to the road. The stock '36-39 bulbs are "pre-focused" to match the prisms in the lens.
No body told me that the halogen lights draw more current/amps, which cooks the average headlight switch. When I would loose a headlight switch about once a year I attributed the failure to inferior China parts... Wrong.
To solve the headlight problem I purchased 36-39 12v Bright Bulbs from Ron Francis. I also purchased a HD switch from Ron Francis.
I had a set of 39 reflectors nickle plated and then had them coated with glass by UVIRA Corp in Grants Pass Or.
My suggestion to you would be to use Ron Franicis 6v Bright Bulbs and his replacement sockets... If your reflectors are dull have them nickle plated then send them off to UVIRA...
Old 04-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Adding relays for the headlights is another way to go. Removes the current load from the headlight switch.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

You don't need as high a wattage bulb if the focus is good
i have been running 35 watt halogens in my A for over 20 years, no problems with generator, sockets, wiring, switch ---I drive a lot at night, confidant driving over 50mph at night
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
kiwitony

I put a drake kit on my 37 pickup as I wanted indicators in the headlight. That works ok but the headlights are useless as as others have said they are not focus right.I haven't worried about it as I rarely drive at night.ý
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
meric42

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Adding relays for the headlights is another way to go. Removes the current load from the headlight switch.
I second this, I have done this on my '41 Coupe with 6 Volt Halogen bulbs (from Amazon) and the result is fantastic i.e. Headlights like a modern car. I have tried LED bulbs but they are not as good as the Halogen... so far that is.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
Talkwrench

you dont really need a"kit" I rewired mine with relays and you can buy halogen APF globes, done. bright!
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
Aarongriffey

I have a sealed beam kit I took out of a ‘35 Ford Convertible Sedan.
It worked just fine but the car owner wanted everything stock.
I would first try a relay down by the left front motor mount with the power going to it from a number 8 wire off the starter switch coming off the battery.
You can test the system by turning the lights on, watching there brightness and having a helper flash a #8 wire from the battery cable to the power wire on the dimmer switch.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
philipswanson

Wait for the LED headlamps. There coming for 6 volt. I already put them on my two T Birds. They are great and use very little power.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
johndee138

Check out this from Ebay
6v LED headlight kit
listing # 254245656282
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
tubman

I checked the listing, and it says nothing about polarity. As far as I know, LED's are polarity-sensitive. Are these for positive or negative ground (or maybe work on either)? The only vehicles they list these are for are Volkswagens. Unfortunately, I no nothing about bugs, so that doesn't help.

Have you tried them yet?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
I second this, I have done this on my '41 Coupe with 6 Volt Halogen bulbs (from Amazon) and the result is fantastic i.e. Headlights like a modern car. I have tried LED bulbs but they are not as good as the Halogen... so far that is.

I believe the original question pertained to upgrading a '35 Ford

Vehicles that came with sealed beams, '40 and later are a completely different game than the '39 and earlier reflector type headlights.

I converted the headlights on my '36 Ford coupe to sealed beams in 1952, very simple, just switched to a two brush '39 gen, the '39 gen had a fan mount on the front of the gen and had a HD ball bearing in the front in lieu of a bushing, and utilized a regulator. Wired in a relay in the headlight circuit and had excellent lights with just a standard 6v sealed beam.
In '54 I discarded the stock switch on the column, added a dimmer switch on the floor and a pull switch on the dash. The system has not been touched since. I have driven my '36 during all kinds of weather, spent many an hour driving in the dark during the course of driving the '36 for over 94k.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
Aarongriffey

As I recall, the ‘39 Standard used a generator with cut-out on top with bulb head lights same as ‘38 but the ‘39 DeLuxe used a generator with a voltage regulator because the Deluxe had sealed beam headlights.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
dumb person

A tip for halogen, in my experience, is that they belong in the tip. The rubbish tip.

Stock with good reflectors, or LED if you can focus them (they're cheap enough i used to take them apart & make them work for my reflectors & lense)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
As I recall, the ‘39 Standard used a generator with cut-out on top with bulb head lights same as ‘38 but the ‘39 DeLuxe used a generator with a voltage regulator because the Deluxe had sealed beam headlights.
With respect, the '39 Deluxe didn't have sealed beam headlights. They came out for the first time in 1940. The '39 deluxe had a two brush generator with a voltage regulator. This I'm told it was to accommodate a radio. Others will probably know.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #16
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I checked the listing, and it says nothing about polarity. As far as I know, LED's are polarity-sensitive. Are these for positive or negative ground (or maybe work on either)? The only vehicles they list these are for are Volkswagens. Unfortunately, I no nothing about bugs, so that doesn't help.

Have you tried them yet?

My prior post: Conversion to 6 volt, positive ground, LED headlights

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...22#post1796222

I am currently converting my fog lights to 6 volt LED's

As for the 35' check here for a LED bulb: [email protected]

https://www.ledlight.com/h1-h3-h7-le...ve-ground.aspx

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 04-21-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I checked the listing, and it says nothing about polarity. As far as I know, LED's are polarity-sensitive.

Have you tried them yet?
Not all LEDs are polarity sensitive. About half of them made today are not. I have those on my 40 wagon for parking lights, taillights, brake lights. They work great and are running on 6v positive ground. Its something that needs to be checked out though before purchasing.

Last edited by philipswanson; 04-21-2020 at 09:34 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:43 AM   #18
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
I agree -LEDs aren't as good as they don't focus properly. When I tried them in my 34 i couldn't pass the WOF (mandatory safety inspection in our country)
due to them being unfocussed . Never any problems with Halogens which I now have in both the Model A and the 34 -Karl
Old 04-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #19
rbassemir

Thanks for all for sharing your experiences. I have not yet driven my Convertible Sedan at night yet with the stock setup, but anticipate I will want to upgrade. I appreciate you taking the time out to share advice.
rbassemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Joe KCMO

Halogens draw to many amps for a stock six volt system. In addition as stated the reflectors are not correct for the bulb. Had the kit, installed it, uninstalled it, threw it away. Bought brand new originals reflectors and bulbs.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote