Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Superhart

Default Question About 1930-31 Running Board Trim

I want to replace the zinc outer running board trim on my 1930 Coupe with Stainless Steel. My car is a street rod so I am more interested in appearance rather than originality. I note that the vendors sell kits for 1930 with all 8 pieces but the 1931 kit only has the two outer pieces. Are the outer pieces different from 1930 to 1931? If not, why not just buy the 1931 kit if I want to replace only the outer trim? I'd prefer to do the job without removing the running boards from the car. Before you say it, yeah I'm lazy.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Question About 1930-31 Running Board Trim

the 30 has 4 pieces on ea, side. the 31 only has the one on the outside. if you are only replacing the out side trim. the 31 will do you just fine. most reproductions out there do not fit very well. I have used double backed tape to help hold them in place.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
nkaminar

I want to replace the trim pieces too on my 1930 Fordor. It appears to be that you have to slide the trim onto the running board from either end which would mean removing a fender. Is that right?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
DBSHELTON

I am curious about how to change my 1930 running board rubber. The trim looks fine.

Last edited by DBSHELTON; 12-23-2020 at 08:01 PM.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Superhart

If by rubber you mean the rubber matting on the running boards, you will need to remove the running boards from the car and then remove the four pieces of metal (zinc) trim. Then you remove the old matting (a heat gun helps). My understanding is that the new matting is applied using an adhesive like contact cement and cut to the edges of the running board. Then the zinc trim is reapplied over the edge of the rubber mat. The above is my understanding from the information I have read so far. In order to remove the front trim strip the lower edge which is curled under the lower edge of the running board needs to be "uncurled" which can be done if you are careful. Supposedly the trim piece can sometimes be slid off the board to the side if the board is removed from the car or, as a few have suggested, if the rear fender has been removed. Either way strikes me as a pain in the a** since I am basically lazy at heart. LOL
Old 12-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Superhart

I took a close look at the trim pieces on my running boards. I have no idea if my boards are original or repops but the lower edge of the trim is literally wrapped around the lower edge of the board with no edge that can be "unsnapped" to free the trim piece. Looks like the only way to remove the trim is to remove the board from the car or remove the rear fender, neither of which I am in a mood to attempt. SO, it looks like cleaning using Naval Jelly and Blue Magic metal polish is the way I will have to go. Thanks to everyone who replied and, as usual, taught me more about my car.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
jw hash

the new reproduction outside trim is NOT fully bent on the bottom edge. you bend your trim on the running boards open on the bottom to remove. when installing the new trim you have bend it over the lower part of the board. you do not have to slide them on or off.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
brito36

If you are seeking quality running board mouldings you need to contact Bob Burdick from California. He makes exact mouldings with the necessary cutouts and holes in all years.
I recently purchased sets for all my vehicles (1928-31). I compared them with original blueprints and they were exact, along with the fit. NOT like the reproductions available. You will be more than satisfied. His number is in the MARC News.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by brito36 View Post
If you are seeking quality running board mouldings you need to contact Bob Burdick from California. He makes exact mouldings with the necessary cutouts and holes in all years.
I recently purchased sets for all my vehicles (1928-31). I compared them with original blueprints and they were exact, along with the fit. NOT like the reproductions available. You will be more than satisfied. His number is in the MARC News.
If you re-read the original poster's comment, he is wanting to install polished stainless trim. Bob does not offer the stainless.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote