Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default increasing membership

Hi All,

I going to assume the mantel of control for my car club next year and would like some suggestions. I am the youngest person in the club at 42 and am looking for ideas to help bring up the membership numbers. Sorry if this has been covered before. If it has please tell me and list the threadand then this thread can be deleted.

I understand I am going to have a tough sell due to the economy and electronics. So, I thought I would target my age bracket for the most part or maybe a little older. Pointing out the fact these cars are easy to:

-restore/maintain
-can help you decompress from a rough day at work
-fun people to be around
-family oriented

So does anyone from other clubs have ideas on how they got their membership to grow? Function, media, shows etc....

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: increasing membership

Keep the dues to a minimum. When you go on tour, you don't have to eat at expensive restaurants. You can even pack your own lunches or have a group picnic. Visit interesting places on tour. Ask the members what they like to do. Keep the meetings interesting with members showing how to repair/restore different parts of the A's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
ctlikon0712

Like Tom said, keep the meetings interesting and fun, keep the business portion to a minimum. Is seems that is what keeps people from showing up most the time... If there is a popular cruse location close by ask to place flyers advertising your club and its interests.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
peters180a/170b

BRING UP MEMBERSHIP ? Well it might be hard if its a A.A.C.A. MARC or MAFCA...First i am pretty sure you must join the National Club to join the locale chapter.#1 At every car show around you ,,set up a small table with membership forms in front of one of the cars.. #2 hit the streets. Have a car run somewhere there is a lot of people in the area [stop ,park for awhile ,eat lunch at a eatery of some sort.Again have membership forms with you. # Make sure you are in a well popular area... Bring the interest to the people. We did some of these and WOW ,we found out there are a lot of cars around us.. But for some reason,,, some people just don't care with these cars... something turned them off years ago????? we started to join club to club to club just to make one good size club... its ruff...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
newshirt

I always thought that variety keeps things interesting. In other words, throw in things that are completely different than what you've always done. But I'm probably dead wrong...

I actually tried this with our club as a "new guy" tour director, and got nothing but "dear in the headlight" stares. Nobody wanted to do anything new and different. In fact, most only wanted to sit and breathe oxygen, and eat, and talk. I consider myself young and energetic, and didn't care for the oxygen as much as they did. So most of my exotic ideas didn't get traction. But some did. Moral: don't try to be the "Saviour" and be happy with small gains.

I also tried raising membership by building a killer website that ranked well on Google and had plenty of content to keep visitors interested. Think YouTube. That sort-of worked. We got a bunch of new would-be members who found us on the web. Problem is, they didn't stick around... maybe because they also didn't care for oxygen -- don't know.

Breathing new life into an old organization can be a long-term proposition. Be prepared to slog it out for the long term. Don't expect quick results. Build relationships. Be the go-to guy. But mostly, just be there for years and years, and people will eventually follow. Word of mouth will prevail.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
ronn

One meeting a month, have guys teach each other how to rebuild a generator, or work on a radiator or bring in a car and work on it together.
I believe it would also be smart to go to the local vocy schools and ask some of the younger kids to come help out. You might be surprised by the results.
Too many walkers, canes donuts and coffee only create a chat room....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Chris in WNC

do NOT have boring regular business meetings.
avoid Roberts Rules of Order like the plague.
get together only for tours or shop sessions.
do not have officers or elections.
PM if you want more details......

do FUN things with your cars and FUN people will be attracted to your club......

no matter how large the club gets, only 1/3 of the members will be active and participatory. this rule of thumb has proven true with EVERY non-profit organization I have belonged to for the last 30 years......
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Keep your focus on the fact that it is a Model A club, don't let it drift into being mostly a social club. This has a tendancy to turn off new members. They will come to one or two meetings and then disappear because their thinking is they joined the club because they are intrested in Model A's.

A monthly newsletter should contain at least one technical article in every issue. This should not be difficult to do as often you can re-print technical articles from other club newsletters. As a starter you are welcome to use any of the newsletter technical articles I have posted on our club's web site. Go to www.ocmafc.com. At the menu on the left scroll to "tech atricles" and click. It will bring up a new menu, at the top is my name, click on it and it will bring up the articles. Some are actual articles that have appeared in one of two newsletters, or both, and some are lengthy how-to articles not suitable for a newsletter. You are welcome to use any and all. Where ever you obtain the article from it is considered proper to acknowledge the author and the publication you acquired it from.

I understand that in the January\Febuary 2013 publication of the Restorer, Jill Sullins the chapter coodinator, is going to have an article that will list those clubs that have web sites with technical articles available for re-printing.

At each meeting devote a short period of time, maybe 15 minutes, on the agenda, for a club member to get up and speak about his or her Model A. The subject of the presentation could be how they acquired it, about its history, or about some problem they had and how they fixed it. Set up the speaker some days prior to the meeting so that they can prepare.

Many clubs today are circulating their newsletter by e-mail. You should do this if your club's editor has that capability. The newsletter is the biggest expense if you are having them printed and mailing them out. You will still have to do this for the folks that are not computer literate, but it will be minimal. When circulated by e-mail all the photos can be in color and you are not limited by the number of pages each issue can be. When mailing you can mail six double sided pages on 20 pound bond paper for a single domestic postage stamp. By using e-mail you will eliminate a large cost that will enable you to keep the yearly dues reasonable.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
brum1

Focus on the members you already have to maintain interest, be flexible, this is supposed to be fun(not a job) focus on the cars but consider your female members Finally recognize and appreciate your volunteers. Hopefully it will become a club people want to join
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

Great ideas Tom,Thanks !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
TinCup

Mike,

Feel your pain there my friend. We struggle with this every year. We have had good solid growth 8-12 new members a year for the last 4 or 5 years but the enthusiasm level is not what this 50 year old club once had. Dedicate a meeting to just asking your membership what the like and do not like about your club. Then try to balance that out with what you can do. Never fail to recognize your volunteers. They are the back bone of your club.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
sethkestenbaum

Get the local schools involved. It is a long lead time, but get the kids hooked early and pair them up with more experienced members. Over time this will give the older members help maintaining the cars and encourage younger folks to enter the hobby.

Also, car magnets with the club info. Someone seeing your car around town might be interested but have no idea that the club exists.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
29ModelA

I am 31 I have posted my views before, but in short:

Younger people are not retired, weekday meetings are off limits. As are anything before 5pm on a weekday, even 7pm is often extremely difficult. My wife and I tend to not even be able to eat dunner until 7-8pm on a normal day due to two full time working people and a little one.

Long drawn out meetings involving Roberts Rules of Order turn me off big time. I have to sit through enough of those types of meetings. I have found any club that tries to be super formal like that and puts a lot of stock in "order" invites drama and ends up not being fun. Especially if you are not part of a "clique."

I am not interested in a monthly social hour at the local diner. I want to learn about my car and drive my car. The occasional meeting is fine and needed, but to just sit for 2 or 3 hours once a month and eat is not in my interests. The older generations have the knowledge, be more willing to share it. I would much rather learn hands on with someone that has "been there and done that" that sit and thumb through a Restorer book or Judging standards. Frankly I personally don't have an interest in those types of cars. I don't go to books for info, I go to the web, especially forums like this. I will use books for technical stuff but that is about it.

I have found many members of clubs to be pretty judgmental. When we got our car I was pretty excited and talked with one member of a club, he was very nice and showed me his finished car. But when I spoke of hopefully seeing him again he basically brushed me off and said "I doubt it." I have been brushed off more than once when I have talked to other Model A clubbers about our car. Either that or they insist on picking apart my car, or telling me what I "Need" to do with it. While many may feel they are educating me it sure has not came off that way. I know the 16" wheels (and the 19's that were on it when I got it for that matter) are incorrect. I do not need to hear it a million times or be ribbed about changing them a million times. My wife wanted them, she got them and she likes them.

Traditional 1st/2nd/3rd shift jobs are not here for us as a generation if we are making enough money to have a hobby like this. Most of my friends (even college graduated) are working service jobs at less than 30k a year. If we have the money for this hobby it is often because we are working non traditional jobs with huge amounts of travel or non-tradition hours and amounts of hours. For instance my job takes me away from my family/state usually at a minimum 2 weeks out of the month and home weekends. I often have "worked" a 14-20 hour day during the week.

I found one club that I really did want to join, the people were all very nice, they didn't even care if you owned an A, you could have a Mustang for all they cared as long as you enjoyed Model A Fords and wanted to learn about them. The problem there... all their meetings are at 7pm on a Wednesday.

I by no means speak for every person in the younger brackets, but I know that The people I know that I graduated both college and high school with that are in a position to play with old cars tend to be salaried individuals that really only get weekends for their hobbies.

edit: OK maybe not so short.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
ford3

my advice is keep all the members involed in the club, dont let 2 or 3 take over, ive seen that in so many clubs, a few decied what is going to be done, dont let the few say ok guys just sit down and we will take care of this, thats the quickest way to kill your club, if some one has an ides, listen to it, discuss it in an open meeting, it may not increase your membership a lot. but it sure will keep the members you have, get the wifes and g/f involved (not at the same time) remember a family that plays together stays together
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
denis4x4

29ModelA nailed it! That post should be a "sticky" and a constant reminder that change is good.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
P.S.

Yep, 29A nailed it.

Mike, you and I have discussed this briefly. I'm the same age as you, and I have not joined a club.

Like 29A said, most of us (our age) are working. A lot. We simply don't have time on weeknights to attend meetings, especially if there is little to gain from them.

I've gone out of my way to attend some of the tech sessions some of the clubs around us have had where members bring their cars and people who know a lot about the particular subject lead them through the work on the cars. For people in our age group, I can see that as a HUGE advantage. Have the club meetings at someone's house who has a car that needs something done to it. Then, have members who also need that same thing done to their cars bring theirs too. Then, the club just dives in and helps each other. Meanwhile, the guys and gals that don't want to work on cars go inside and discuss fashion, food, or whatever.

The big club "turnoff" for me was the structure aspect. Who has time for "OK, the treasurer will read the treasurer's report, then we'll discuss old business, then the vice president will blah blah..." The days of the stuffy structured clubs are over. All the old fogy style clubs are disappearing. Heck, even Rotary, scouts, and Elks has been changing. Clubs that want to survive well into the future have to become a "value added" feature to the subject matter, in this case the Ford Model A. Clubs have to ADD to the experience of owning the car.

The difficult part is catering to the varied interests of the members. You'll never be able to be everything to everyone, but you should try to me as much to as many as possible without losing focus on the core reason the club exists.

Monthly meetings in winter time can be traditional social kinds of things, but when the weather is nice, meetings should be of value. Maybe conduct business at a pre-determined stop on a tour, or during a tech session instead of the church back room on Friday night.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Hi All,

I going to assume the mantel of control for my car club next year and would like some suggestions. I am the youngest person in the club at 42 and am looking for ideas to help bring up the membership numbers. Sorry if this has been covered before. If it has please tell me and list the threadand then this thread can be deleted.

I understand I am going to have a tough sell due to the economy and electronics. So, I thought I would target my age bracket for the most part or maybe a little older. Pointing out the fact these cars are easy to:

-restore/maintain
-can help you decompress from a rough day at work
-fun people to be around
-family oriented

So does anyone from other clubs have ideas on how they got their membership to grow? Function, media, shows etc....

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
1- "Mantle of Control" sounds intimidating!
2-Quality, not number of members is what counts.
3-Some folks with Model A's don't want to be DRUG into a club, and usually don't stay long.
4-Targeting only your age bracket would be an insult to some.
5-What has ELECTRONICS to do with your "Hard Sell"?
6-I think growth is by folks being friendly & helpful.
Bill W.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
Mendotaman

Here's my suggestion:

Make sure that club members go out of their way to 1) make the newbie feel welcome and 2) ask to see (and help with) the person's Model A. After I bought my tudor, I went to the meetings and asked one after another to come by (a block out of their way) and see my car, tell me what I had/needed and/or give me advice. No response except one old guy that told me from the top that he "doesn't loan out any tools." (I never asked!) Nobody ever came by and FordBarners became "my club." (a great group of folks, by the way!)
Mendotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #19
Richard in Anaheim CA

My mantle has been put away. I served my 2 years as president and had some success and some disapointments. I am now, again, a member. I will continue to help build the club experience.

Take care of the established members for sure. You are out to improve what you have and make it fun. Your officers need to work together and try many things to see what works.

We found our two monthly breakfasts were more popular than the meeting and the technical talks and seminars were always well attended. Go out of you way to nurture visitors. Introduce them to a mentor or two with similar goals to keep them excited. Small rewards for driving their "A"s or wearing their name badges works well.

In the end it is always a people club. If you don't enjoy each other nothing is going to work. The meeting is important because you need some structure and a treasury to do anything. The newsletter is the biggest expense and one of the bigger jobs.

All of the above posts are right but you have to find your way with the members you have and those you recruit. It's a learning experience. Don't do only what has been done before but don't dismiss it because it has always been done that way either.

Good Luck this new year. Feel free to contact me and others that have posted with a PM. Sometimes it helps to talk it out.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I wonder how many of these suggestions come from people who have run a club?

As for me what got me and kept me was the fact that I was observed closely looking at the cars when I first saw them. A member asked if I had any questions and that opened the flood gates. I was asked if I wanted to sit in the car and if I was interested in the joining. I was told I did not have to have a car to join. I was later invited to learn how to drive the Model A after joining and that was that.

Holding meetings can be tricky, some want to know where their dues are going some don't. Some like the social aspect some don't. Some want to tour, some only short trips. While cars shows are not on our clubs favorite list of things to do it does usally get us a member or two during the year. We try to arrange for two events a month. We try to stress that the members are willing and able to assist in keeping their car in tip top shape.

Being in Florida this is our driving season, little chance of rain, cooler temps make it a nice time to ride.

Oh almost forgot, President 2012, 2011, 2008, 2007, 2006.

I guess the answer is variety
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #21
Mike Peters

I've been a member of our local club since 1986. I admit, that after few years the novelty did wear off, but have always felt that club membership was a good thing, even if I'm tired of parades and social functions. Like most of you, my primary interest is the cars themselves. You guys on Ford barn are more helpful with advise and parts, but loyalty to the local club is still important. I've made some good personal friends in our club, so I continue to renew membership every year.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
tmiller6

I think a big part of increasing membership is educating your current members on how to behave with the new kids whether they're inside the meeting room or out on the street. Over thirty years ago, my wife and I went to our very first local Model A club meeting.

Initially we were greeted and treated very well. At the end of the meeting, the elders went out to the parking lot and proceeded to nitpick my Westcott bodied roadster to death. It's underpinnings were all Model A, and it was Lebaron Bonney trimmed. We were under the impression this was a fun car until an older member pulled his roadster next to mine and announced his was a real Model A. I was well aware of what real cars were because I had my Town Sedan at home.

To this day I continue to volunteer and support the old car hobby. But to this day I still travel with a small circle of car friends and avoid going to my local chapter. After my wife told me she didn't need this kind of treatment, the fun wore off and I sold the plastic roadster. I know everything that is wrong with my car, I don't need to pay dues to have an expert point everything out to me when I am not asking for a judgement.

So, My thought is to educate the old guys to accept the new kids regardless of what they're driving. Cultivate their interest in the hobby.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
newshirt

I asked my Iraqi-war veteran son why he and his buds never joined the VFW or American Legion. He said it was for old people who just sit around and drink coffee.

Not my words... His...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I asked my Iraqi-war veteran son why he and his buds never joined the VFW or American Legion. He said it was for old people who just sit around and drink coffee.

Not my words... His...
There is an American Legion in Chanhassen MN that a lot of VFW's and American Legions could take a lesson from. It has a full time restaurant for anyone to go there, that takes all credit cards and is a NICE diner/bar. I have a customer and his son that request to go there all the time.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
denis4x4

MikeV wrote:
"I wonder how many of these suggestions come from people who have run a club?"

Going back to 1958, I've been elected (never "run" a club) to various offices in a variety of car clubs. The fact that you have been president five out of seven years is one of the problems. Nothing personal MikeV, but having the same officers year after year is one of the problems that turn off younger members. One of the clubs I've belonged to for 15 years has no officers, no dues or meetings and everybody's jacket has the title "President" along with your name. Another club gets together twice a year. The Four Corners Model A club was run with an iron fist and even though I was a charter member, dropped out due to the lack of flexibility of the officers.

The requirement that a club member has to be a MAFCA and/or MARC member turns some people off.

Again, MikeV, nothing personal, every club is different and growth has to come from the willingness to change.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #26
29ModelA

Same here, I have been involved with our local 4x4 association pretty heavily in the past, and currently sit on the board of a non-profit org that is going through a formal Strategic Planning process.

Both are trying to head off declines in membership, part of it is the younger generations don't understand it. They have been taught (including MY generation) that it is more about them than the whole. They don't realize that a lot of these organizations are why they can still have their hobby. Attracting the younger generations is proving to be very difficult, especially in niche areas.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Denis, granted the pendulum of the clock sometimes seemingly goes too far in each direction!

Just like any type venue where people are involved, 20% of the people do 80% of the work!! While I cannot vouch for knowing Mike's situation, it does appear that HE was willing to serve (i.e.: WORK) when others were not, ....AND he was elected (by a majority) from a group of peers who felt his method of leadership met their goals with their club.

With regard to being a National Club member, ...THAT is not an option. It goes back to folks not wanting to follow rules. (Kinda like being turned off by Robert's Rules of Order) If a local club is to be affiliated with the National club and receive the benefits it allows, then everyone who wants to be a member of the local club should follow the rules and be a member of the National.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
denis4x4

Brent...maybe we need to have some "right to join" laws!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
Mike Peters

I've been a club member since 1986 and have found that the friendships gained are worth the occassional tiring meeting and brunches, etc. Being in a club is still a good way to celebrate the Model A Ford.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
MikeV wrote:
"I wonder how many of these suggestions come from people who have run a club?"

Going back to 1958, I've been elected (never "run" a club) to various offices in a variety of car clubs. The fact that you have been president five out of seven years is one of the problems. Nothing personal MikeV, but having the same officers year after year is one of the problems that turn off younger members. One of the clubs I've belonged to for 15 years has no officers, no dues or meetings and everybody's jacket has the title "President" along with your name. Another club gets together twice a year. The Four Corners Model A club was run with an iron fist and even though I was a charter member, dropped out due to the lack of flexibility of the officers.

The requirement that a club member has to be a MAFCA and/or MARC member turns some people off.

Again, MikeV, nothing personal, every club is different and growth has to come from the willingness to change.
No offense taken. I did not demand to be president I was nominated and voted in each time.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #31
RichardW

Many good suggestions but let me add one more: Make it interesting for the women too. I live by the philosophy
"If Moma ain't happy, nobody's happy"
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
Pmsqrd

Mike,

Some of the things our club does to bring in and keep new members;

advertise in the auto section of the paper the week prior to the monthly general meeting

the membership chair makes sure to talk to any visitors and that they are recognised during the meeting

hold a tech seminar each month. We mostly talk, joke, answer questions and share information but we do work on members cars and try to address mechanical issues. Folks that do not always attend the general meetings are almost always at the seminars

we are fortunate to have some very talented internet savy members who have created a web presences for us that has brought in new members and community contacts

some of us take our cars to local swap meets. We sell some parts but mostly we advertise the club and the real fun is sharing what our club offers with others

Last year we added 12 new families to our club.

Good luck.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #33
Ted Duke

Smile Re: increasing membership

Hi, I'm new here and have read all of the responses. All of you have good points. I belong to MAFCA, but no local club yet. I belonged to a MAFCA local 40 years ago and it was great. Each meeting had some "teaching and learning" and some fun. MANY folks were helpful with advice and parts. No one talked down to me or bad-mouthed my "junk yard" car. Many years of Navy deployments and "semi-poverty" with 4 kids in college followed and I moved away. I happen to know that club still thrives because of the lack of "attitude".

Recently I joined a national on-line "help" line for another make of car and after being ridiculed several times in a month I dropped off. I belong to a local club for the same car and it's all social and dying.

IMHO there is only one way to have a good auto club. Be helpful, provide some education and help, don't espouse the "Only real car is ..." and use YOUR knowledge and the newcomers eagerness to build a better club.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Charlie Stephens

Be sure your editor distributes the newsletter via email. It will cut costs (which will keep dues low) and enable you to share it with other clubs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #35
Terry, NJ

Keep the business part of the meetings short and sweet. Don't get bogged down in Parlimentary procedures or Robert's Rules. Make sure your Model A club is about model A s. Every town I've lived in has a "Founder's Day" type of celebration. Get a spot in it and in addition to membership forms, have a display of some cars in various stages of restoration, from beginning to completed. Have a list of known cars and "Projects" for sale in the club or in the area. Once someone is "Bitten by the bug" they don't know where to start looking for one for themselves, fill that need for them.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #36
dave in australia

I agree with a lot that has been suggested here. My suggestion is don't restrict membership to only those with Model A's. I was a member two Charger clubs. One in each of different states which I served when I was in the RAAF. The first one didn't care if you owned a Charger or not. One thing that I really liked about that club was one member was mentally challenged, I think this is how it is termed nowadays. He would turn up to meetings with his carer, and would attend runs when he could. Members would always volunteer to take him and his carer in their car, and the smile on his face was always the biggest. The atmosphere at the club was fun and enjoyable. The club had some hard core drag racers, full on restorers, and others who just enjoyed Chargers. Everyone got on.
The second club, you had to own a Charger to join. They had some very 'I'm in charge' sort of people and it made the club a chore to attend. I stayed in the club until posted away from the state.
One observation that I've made over the years, is that there will always be a lot of different personalities. It will drive you to despair dealing with some, but, remember the good bits, and don't try and force anyone to anything they don't want.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
My suggestion is don't restrict membership to only those with Model A's.
We even had a Pres that did not own a car.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
redmodelt

While we have several A clubs in the Portland/Vancouver area as far as I know only one of them you do not have to be a member of one of the National clubs to be a member. While I know the magazines are great, being told I have to join, in my op not so great.
I am a member of my local Model T club (not required to member of National club). Our monthly business meetings are just that with very little car discussion. Between tour seasons there are maybe 4 people out of 115 members/family's in that club the even drive their T's. About the same number that bring their T to tours along with almost the same number of A's. One of the members tried to have Saturday repair clinics, he gave up as there was no intrust. I suggested in the winter months having some Saturday meeting so people that did not want to drive in the dark could attend, but that was rocking the boat. Even though I enjoy the club and do volunteer for the big swap meet and try to make as many tours as I can, I have cut back on going to monthly meeting as it's 30 to 45 min. of business and some socializing and cost me 8 to 10$ for the trip.
I wish I could offer suggestions but without rocking the boat in a major way, most clubs I think are about the same, the old guard or kids of same running the show.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
modelAsteve

Get the old guys to accept the young ones and realise things change. Maybe have one of the young guys help set up their computer for them.
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #40
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post

Situation- Newbies cannot find parts or cannot afford parts when needed, and their car then sits and they lose interest.

Suggestion- Have a "parts wanted" list the newbies can sign up for (as members) and then stress to the senior members that if they have parts the newbies need, make them a deal. I know it's tradition to hoard parts, but seriously, you cannot take them with you! I know a guy with literally 40+ Model A motors in his shop and won't part with one. That's fine, they are his motors. However, if a newbie has a motor problem and needs to swap a motor out, and a member had a surplus of them, why not swap the newbie for his motor plus some bucks?
This one kind of chapped my ass trying to deal with local people (all were members of clubs). I could afford the parts but could not get the local guys hoarding them to give them up. If they did they wouldn't sell me something useful, they would try to sell me the most worn out one they had, and they might have had 5-6 of them. I only had 2 guys that really tried to help me and gave me GREAT deals on parts to get me back on the road. If it was not for Fordbarn,the HAMB, and the antique car mechanic I handed $1300 to our car would still be missing MANY key parts and not be running.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #41
Dick Carne

This is a subject that has both advocates and detractors. For myself, I would prefer to associate with a group that enjoys the cars and each others' company, regardless of the size of the group. For that matter, I think that I almost prefer a smaller group - quality over quantity - not to be exclusive by any means, but a smaller group is often easier to coordinate events for than a larger group, and as many have alluded to, far less political. In that respect, I might caution anyone considering such a move to be careful what you wish for... you just might get it. Just my thoughts. Good luck to you whatever you might decide.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Get the old guys to accept the young ones and realise things change. Maybe have one of the young guys help set up their computer for them.
It's funny thast I hear this all the time but in our club it the "old timers" that are first to lend a hand with the new guys no matter what the new guys age.