Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #81
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Thanks, seem to be in fair shape, not dissolving or brittle, looks like they were not subject to grease or gas over the years.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #82
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Ken/everyone the speedometer cable runs from the passenger side rear housing, along frame rail, out in fender well for about a foot and into the inside of car and is connected to the back of big speedometer. I thought I saw the cable going to the drive shaft, but it was the emergency brake cable going in that direction. Now what would be missing from the Columbia system? The dash going to floor and transmission pans were removed when I got car. ( parts are with the car ) Several wires and small metal clad cables/wires disconnected on back of speedometer, what would these have gone to??? I did remove the front drum grease seals this evening, will order front and rear drum seals tomorrow, bearings do say Ford B-1201 and seem to be in very good condition, I will repack them and continue to work on brakes.
cable from Columbia rear housing

Ken, is this the front body mount you spoke of????

Bruce, When you say metal clad cables there is a heater cable that is attached to the pass side of the console,post some pics of whats there.. The speedometer cable being from the axle housing tells me its probably factory installed,there is nothing missing if you have the shifter valve on the steering box with the cable that goes inside to the dash. Here is some pics of the frame isolators,if yours look ok then use them but keep in mind if they are bad or have become un vulcanized there aint much holding the suspension in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1124.jpg (40.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1125.jpg (39.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.jpg (38.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (37.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1128.jpg (41.2 KB, 33 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #83
Vic Piano

Bruce, Unlike Ford & Mercury, if an LZ was ordered new in '39 with a Columbia, the unit was installed at the factory. If it was an afterthought, it would have been installed at the dealership. The Columbia I have for our '39 (came out of a Coupe) does not have the speedometer cable attached to the rear axel, it is attached to the transmission, with a "gear kick down" unit mounted to the firewall. As Ken mentioned, there is a rod that attaches the "vacuum switch" (mounted on the steering box) to the clutch peddle assembly, the rod passes through the "belly pan" that shields the clutch and brake peddle assembly. In addition to the cable that (in my car) has a bracket that mounts under the dash to the left of the steering column drop. The cable in my car is split, with one end going to the vacuum switch and the other to the speedometer "kick down" unit on the firewall. My car is a "late production" as was the coupe that the Columbia came out of.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #84
Bruce in southern OH

Ken/everyone, here are photos of the heater parts I have with car. Next I did order the grease seals today, will wait on them and then reassemble drums with bearings packed. I am going to leave lower adjustment star screw loose and test wheel cylinders before adjustment. If wheel cylinders work well I will adjust and try to drive car with stuck clutch, I am hoping it frees up.
heater parts that I have, came with car
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #85
Mike B

Hey Bruce, your stuck clutch.

Rotorwrench tipped me off to:

Get the rear up on jack stands
2nd gear start the car in gear.

Get the speed up to 30-ish MPH...foot in Clutch and hit the brakes hard.

Mine freed up the 2nd try.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #86
Bruce in southern OH

Mike B. as soon as I get front drums/tires back on I will might try that, I have to remove the rears first and clean up brakes, bleed them and check wheel cylinders, give me some time and I will report back as soon as I have brakes, thanks for another idea, BJ
( have clutch pedal depressed now with a board )

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 08-12-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add line
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #87
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Ken/everyone, here are photos of the heater parts I have with car. Next I did order the grease seals today, will wait on them and then reassemble drums with bearings packed. I am going to leave lower adjustment star screw loose and test wheel cylinders before adjustment. If wheel cylinders work well I will adjust and try to drive car with stuck clutch, I am hoping it frees up.
heater parts that I have, came with car
Bruce, The heater blower shown at the bottom of the picture isnt for your car,I dont reconize what it fits but definatly not your Zephyr. The one in the top of the picture and the elbow with the silencer looks correct. The piece of flat curved steel with the large and small hole doesnt belong to the heater at all, it goes on top of the transmission over the shifter tower to serve as a support for the sponge seal that goes between it and the removeable transmission cover. The sponge seal isnt available for the Lincoln but I made one from buying two of the sponge seals for 37-39 Ford car part # 78-7012130 and using them. Included a picture of the metal ring and where it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (39.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #88
Bruce in southern OH

Working on the rear brake drum removal, drivers side came off easily, passenger side will not move, Have a good hub tool, used a wrench with a cheater. Brakes are released, drum spins freely. I left the drum under pressure from hub tool and build a dam and filled with PB Blaster to soak the axle. I will look on search for drum removal tips!!!
ALSO , need Vin# location, got my title today from previous owner and will have to have vin# verified.
Hub puller with PB Plaster
Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #89
Mike B

Hey Bruce, I'd put a nut on the stud there so as not to flatten out the threads.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #90
Ken/Alabama

The VIN is located on the front crossmember on the drivers side .
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #91
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks Ken, good location for number and it matched my title. Today I repaired the passenger side front brake line. Still with brakes bleed the brake pedal would not move, pedal would move if I bleed the wheel cylinders. Pulled front two drums and took brake shoes off and found problem.
Wheel cylinder cups rotted

Cleaned up wheel cylinder

End view of wheel cylinder

Will add grease hose to wheel cylinder after installation of bleeder and shove out parts with grease gun, then drive out other parts with a dowel. Will hone the cylinders and order rebuild kit. Want to get some brakes so I can drive car to free up the passenger side rear brake drum ( stuck ) and also get clutch free and working. Next week I hope!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #92
BILL WZOREK

Bruce:
Very nice way you discribe & with pictures of what you are doing.
Now We still want to know what's in the trunk ???? ( with pictures )
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #93
Bruce in southern OH

Bill, thanks for reminder, I received the key for the glove box about two days ago and 32Phil made me a couple of spares for the ignition. The trunk key he cut from the code I furnished worked great.
Opened trunk, had two rags / towels behind the spare tire, pulled the towels off and this is what I Found.
Couple carbs, light bulb set, little Gulf bank can, old gauge, and a sealed rebuild can.

box of ignition parts for unknown use, need a old parts book

lots of hub caps, two Cadillac, Early V8, three SS wheel covers, three early 50 or 60 wheel covers,

old envelope that was torn open

Loaded my cart with misc. items, small hoses, old radio, back up light, extra rear drum, two NOS head light glass and a chrome trim ring and all the used parts from the V12 motor rebuild. Might not be all small items but close.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #94
Cody_1948

HOLLY $#!T way tooo cool, Love the car,
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #95
Ken/Alabama

Hey Bruce, is the jack and tool kit still in the car. ? And does your car have a spring on the spare tire rack??
Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #96
Vic Piano

Ken, my '39 LZ was a mid to late production car and it does not have the spring on the spare tire rack... I have seen them on '39 LZ's, do you know if it was an early production part that was discontinued?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #97
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, is there a compartment for the jack and tool kit, if so where???? No, spring that I know of, you just pull the tire and it leans forward toward you, BJ
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #98
Ken/Alabama

I think in the sedans the jack would be under the rear seat. Not all Zephyrs had a spring on the spare tire rack, it's a early,late thing.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #99
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, found nothing in car that was a tool kit, not even a jack, couple of old spoon type tire tools like you would expect for removing tires on a model A. Do you have a photo of what was included? Also, I am working on the wheel cylinders, I guess I will go to Boos to order rebuild kits for each cylinder, my QUESTION is have you changed to a double bowl master cylinder or just rebuild the single Bowl existing one??? thanks for information, Bruce
(front wheel cylinders are 1 1/8", rears are smaller )
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #100
Ken/Alabama

Im staying with the original single bowl master Cyl. They are the same as Ford 39-48 cars.You should be able to buy cups at your local parts house for the cyls. Are your wheel cyls nice and clean and free of pits? If they arent you might consider buying new ones to save headaches down the road. Here are the numbers for them just in case you need them.
RF WC7536
LF WC7537
RR WC7564
LR WC7563
Those are Raybestos numbers.
I dont have a tool kit for my car yet ,but I can get some pictures from my friends car ,he has the tool kit and jack.