Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
ronn

Default international shipping questions............

OK, so you find a rare model A and it is overseas............

how do you procure payment and arrange shipping, to say Baltimore?

do you use a knowledgeable broker? How do you know you arent getting stiffed and best way to arrange insurance on the vehicle?

Please respond only if youve done this or are knowledgeable on this topic.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: international shipping questions............

I have just done this .I imported a 1929 AA truck from Chandler AZ. to Felixstowe (big UK container port) in England . I use Rinkens out of Paramount CA. could not be better. Look them up on Google .They arrange everything from door to door by insured carrier .My truck arrived in the exact same condition as it left my property in sunny Chandler .They ship worldwide in any direction no problem .Shipping costs are higher west bound as the USA is a net importer we get a good deal east bound as many empty containers get repositioned back to Europe . I have used Rinkens many times and highly recommend them . I have no connection with the company . They will inspect the vehicle before shipment and send you many pictures and a full condition report .

John in sunny Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #3
Brad in Germany

Ronn,

Over the years, I have shipped six Model A's (in both 20 and 40 foot containers) from various places in Germany, England and The Netherlands to the Port of Baltimore, MD and also one Model A from the US (New Jersey) to France (through the port in Rotterdam). I've also shipped crates of other automobilia, housewares, etc from Europe to the Port of Baltimore in containers with Model A's.

I've also shipped several Model A's in containers from California to Germany and Denmark as well.

For all of the Model A's I've imported to the US, I have arranged my own insurance and cleared all of the customs formalities, The Port and DOT myself in Baltimore and arranged onward road transportation in Maryland as well, including unloading containers in both a Baltimore warehouse, as well as in front of my house.

Here we are, for example, unloading a Model A from a 20 foot container in front of my house in Maryland:

Over the years I have used several different companies, but my go to shipping service is Global Transport Amsterdam (http://www.globaltransportamsterdam.com ). I trusted them to ship my MARC of Excellence / Henry Award car and they did a fantastic job, with the car arriving in perfect condition.

They will do as much or as little of the arranging of the shipping as you would like and they have easy phone contact with one POC from anywhere in Europe and in the USA (toll-free phone call). They are also very responsive to emails, which, with the time difference to Europe, that is the easiest way to communicate.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out and share my experiences and walk you through the preocess,

Brad in Maryland

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 08-25-2020 at 02:05 AM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
ronn

thank you fellas. Truth be told, Im looking at an 05 Buick in Ireland. Looks like you both have the shipping down alright. Now, how do you safely transfer funds, knowing you are getting the end vehicle and not a scam?
I have wtd to do this for yrs, but am always daunted by the overseas scams that occur.

better to not have loved at all then to be out big $!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:48 AM   #5
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
thank you fellas. Truth be told, Im looking at an 05 Buick in Ireland. Looks like you both have the shipping down alright. Now, how do you safely transfer funds, knowing you are getting the end vehicle and not a scam?
I have wtd to do this for yrs, but am always daunted by the overseas scams that occur.

better to not have loved at all then to be out big $!!!!!!!!!
Ronn: Is that a 2005 Buick or a 1905 Buick? It makes a difference how it would get shipped.

If it is a 1905 Buick, then the shipping company I mention above can act as your trusted agent and can arrange the payment and pick up and shipping of the vehicle.

Is this by chance the vehicle:

Brad in Maryland
Old 08-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
ronn

indeed it is Brad. OK, I am glad you told me I can trust them to do the cash transfer and shipping both.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
indeed it is Brad. OK, I am glad you told me I can trust them to do the cash transfer and shipping both.
If you would rather work directly with Borland, the best thing to do is contact them and ask what they can do to assure your piece of mind. If they are a trustworthy company (from their online presence, they seem to be well established in the old car sales business) they will already have a system in place to give their customers confidence in the sale. Looking at Borland's web site, it looks like they are used to importing and exporting cars to the USA so they might even be able to provide references here in the USA whom you could contact to find out how things went and maybe even put you in contact with their receiving shipping agent here in the USA as well.

Brad in Maryland