Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default SBC ignition upgrade ?

I seen Charlie had posted on the SBC distributor , and decided to make a new post .
(I have refered all my sbc units to charlie as i no longer make them.
Just a little history from my end to add to Charlies post , i taught Ignition for Lincoln Technical in Indy for 8 years and the Delco plant was in Anderson Indiana where they made the Delco electrical stuff ( distributors , starters and generators ) we were allowed every five weeks to take our classes up there to do a plant tour. So our classrooms had Delco teaching charts and film strips , one of my classes during tis five week class was to disassemble and test each oem distributor igntion , so i naturally fell in love with the delco stuff. I had one room in my class with 5 distributor testers in it !
However this wasnt my idea to put one in a flathead , years latter a friend came by our hot rod shop and showed me a magazine article showing a delco machined down for a flathead . He wanted one for the 50 ford he was driving . I took a delco apart from junk pile and took it to my friends machine shop next door to our hot rod shop . He machined to match the magazine article and i ran it on a tester using the best ignition parts i could buy ( echlin napa etc) . He left and came back to the shop the following week and said heres the cash make me two more ! So it must have worked very well!!
When i went back to the machine shop my friend said i wont do two !!! Bring me six at a time !! So thats what we did !
I have used three different machine shops in Indy to make these for me and just about outlived them all !!
In total we shipped 2722 units over a period of ten years or so , at one time at the hotrod shop on main street in Speedway i had three to four part timers helping me ship 60-70 a week . I have attached a picture showing our assembly line . Richard form the barn introduced me to the advance adjustment ( Charlie uses this ) and another friend made me a jig to make this part ...
The delco is the very best you could have for the flathead !!!
We built and shipped 50 in one day a couple times , that was bonus for the worker bees those days !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dist doug.jpg (90.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg dist.jpg (87.9 KB, 120 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: SBC ignition upgrade ?

We are all deeply indebted to Jim........he's touched us all and continues to do so for
years to come. I'm fortunate that part of my one man operation is my small machine
shop so I only have to rely on me. I must mention my further good fortune is having
excellent customers and a mentor like Jim.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
2935ford

and Charlie, we are happy you are carrying on! Thanks.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Hmmm.....! So just maybe, that ol' argument about a "Chevy in a Ford" ain't QUITE so bad, after all? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I was in that Delco plant in74, when I worked for wilson instruments. Whine in the inspection room I saw the first HEI distributors and they gave me two to take back to Ct, I brought one back to the local speed shop and showed them the future if ignition systems, It's a shame what happend to the people that worked there.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote