Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Inner fender to fender rubber seal

How do you attach the rubber seal that goes between the inner fender and the fender itself. Original were something like staples bent over but the rubber seal did not come with staples. What do you use to attach the rubber to the inner fender? circled in attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img209.jpg (58.6 KB, 18 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Inner fender to fender rubber seal

The tbird suppliers sell staples separately. I didn't want the regular steel staples, so I got some same size stainless wire and made my own. Easy to do, but a little time consuming.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

I used 1/8" pop rivets. Put a washer between the rivet head and the rubber. Got both at my friendly ACE hardware.....

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
tjaybo

All the normal suppliers sell both stainless and regular staples. I bought the stainless. They are a little to big wire diameter so I drilled all the original holes and put them in. I actually drilled the new rubber to match also.Then bent them over with 2 pairs of plyers.
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Back in the days when I was restoring my '55, they sent staples with the rubber seals.
But another way to do it is get a roll of solid copper wire of the same guage from your local hardware store.
Cut off pieces and use needle-nosed pliers to bend the corners. Start the first one at the very end and drill holes thru the rubber to match the holes in the inner fender. Insert your home-made staple thru the original staple holes, and bend over the backside using same needle-nosed pliers.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
paul2748

When stapling rubber parts to a metal piece, I glue the rubber part to the metal piece first and then do the staples. This prevents movement of the rubber piece whuile inserting staples and bending them.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
56sedandelivery

Another inner fender question. There is is a rubber seal that is above the control arm. In the part book it shows another piece that goes over this rubber to attach to the inner fender. My 56 did not have this piece so asking was this a 55 piece only or do I need to try and dig them up somewhere?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
paul2748

These metal pieces were used on the 56 Birds so I imagine they were used on the sedans.. The Birds MAY be the same as the sedans. The group number is 16050 (Metal Retainer for Apron Seal). Repos are available from the Tbird parts people, if they are the same. Check with Hill's Restorations, they may know if the Bird ones are the same as the sedans. Hill's restores sedans as well as Tbirds. Also check with Concours Parts - they may know if the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
Another inner fender question. There is is a rubber seal that is above the control arm. In the part book it shows another piece that goes over this rubber to attach to the inner fender. My 56 did not have this piece so asking was this a 55 piece only or do I need to try and dig them up somewhere?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
56sedandelivery

thanks for the info. Concours T-Bird has the part. Send a message asking if it is the same as the car.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
There is a specially shaped and cut out metal part (a retainer) that goes over the upper control arm rubber seal. The rubber part is available from most repro parts suppliers. That rubber part was originally stapled to the metal retainer and then the metal retainer is bolted to the engine-side of the inner fender apron with 3/8" hex-head lag screws (4 each I think).
The staples should be inserted from the BACKSIDE through the rubber first then thru the metal, so that the back portion of the staples are facing toward the engine. That way, the back of the staples don't rub the paint off the inner fender apron.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
56sedandelivery

Jay from Concours sent me the measurements for the one used on the T-Birds. I will take that and try to make a template to see if it will work on the full size 56. It is 18" x 5"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (13.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
56sedandelivery

on the staples used for here and the inner fender anti squeak seal can you use regular staple gun staples or are they too small in diameter? I have some stainless ones but do not know if the diameter is big enough.

Last edited by 56sedandelivery; 10-06-2020 at 05:59 PM.