Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
supergnat

Default Using a vacuum gauge

I have been reading in the Les Andrews troubleshooting book that a lot of information can be gathered by using a vacuum gauge. My 28 doesn’t have a vacuum fitting. Is there a way to connect a gauge without drilling the manifold? I am hesitant to drill and spoil the originality of my manifold.
Thanks,
Supergant
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Using a vacuum gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
I have been reading in the Les Andrews troubleshooting book that a lot of information can be gathered by using a vacuum gauge. My 28 doesn’t have a vacuum fitting. Is there a way to connect a gauge without drilling the manifold? Iam hesitant to drill and spoil the originality of my manifold.
Thanks,
Supergant
Not really, ...but do think this through that much modern technology that we feel is necessary to proper maintenance of our beloved Model-A was not even invented during the mid to late 30s. Don't fret over not being able to connect a vacuum gauge, ...or a timing light, or a dwell meter or other diagnostic equipment. Instead use your senses (eyes / ears / nose) along with common sense and you can tune one very adequately.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
MikeK

Three companies made adapters, about 1/4" thick, that went between the carb and manifold. You used two gaskets and sandwiched the thing between the carb and manifold, using longer bolts. Ampco oilers, Marvel inverse oilers, and Stewart Warner Southwind heaters all used them for providing a vacuum source. I see them at swaps occasionally. You can make one pretty easy, too.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
supergnat

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your input. I've gotten a little discouraged lately. I'm new to Model A's (this is my first). It seems to run fine but leaks a lot of oil. I put a bag over the oil filler pipe and it flutters and does not blow-up like a balloon. So I think this means that it is not blow-by. The oil fumes are so bad that I can't stand to drive it more than 50 miles or so round trip. I'll keep reading plugging away and try to ask better questions in the future.
Thanks again,
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote