Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: Batteries...batteries...batteries

I buy CarQuest batteries and get 8 to 10 years out of them.I use a Battery Tender in the winter about once a month, bring it up until the green light goes on then disconnect it for another month then repeat. I have an alternator that has a built in regulator and a master disconnect switch thats off except for charging.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
Willie Krash

I believe there are only three battery manufacturers in the USA. If you buy a battery chances are it will be made by Johnson controls.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
48fordnut

I have an Optima in my car in my avatar that was bought in 1999. It has been used to start others, and still starts after sitting 6 weeks. I like them, but have been told that the newer Optimas are not as good.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
al's28/33

Here's another question, does it matter WHERE the connectors for the battery tender are attached to ?
For example: do you guys attach them to the battery posts directly or the starter switch and a head nut ??
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Gold Digger

I owned and operated a sand and gravel mine for 12 and a half years during the 70's and 80's and was going threw lots of batteries. I was told if I dumped the acid out and rinsed the cells out with a garden hose while up side down then refilled it I would get lots more service out of them. I couldn't believe how much black junk would come out. I done this on my dozers, loaders, and crane every 2 or 3 years after hearing this and in the last 8 years I owned the business I never bought another big battery.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I owned and operated a sand and gravel mine for 12 and a half years during the 70's and 80's and was going threw lots of batteries. I was told if I dumped the acid out and rinsed the cells out with a garden hose while up side down then refilled it I would get lots more service out of them. I couldn't believe how much black junk would come out. I done this on my dozers, loaders, and crane every 2 or 3 years after hearing this and in the last 8 years I owned the business I never bought another big battery.
I read this a couple of years ago;

Take your old crappy lead acid battery remove the caps and VERY CAREFULLY dump contents into a bucket I usually let them sit for an hour or so...You should be able to see a tremendous amount of sulfate buildup on the "Plates&Paste" inside...

Next Take a gallon of DISTILLED water and 2 of those dollar store Boxes of epsom salt...This is the trick the epson salt is magnesium sulfate wich in turn will eat the sulfates off the "Plates&paste" I normally will bring the Epsom and Water mix to a boil...this is where the grill comes in handy! Next dump the contents into your "retired" battery.

Set the battery on charge overnight @ THE LOWEST AMP SETTING YOU HAVE usually 2 amp

Remember that bucket of battery acid? It's going to need some doctoring.. Head to your Local Parts house and get yourself some battery acid usually a pint will do several batteries worth. Mix it into the bucket.*ADVISORY* The bucket is going to get pretty warm @ this point. After it sits a while pull out your handy dandy Battery Gravity Tester and verify your bucket is in the 1230-1250 range.

Day 2 Your battery should be a whole lot happier then when you started at this point Check the gravity in all the cells if they are low siphon off some of the Epsom mix and replace with the contents of your bucket. Trickle charge again over night and you should be good to go!!

* Battery acid is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS* be careful guys this will work 90% of the time. You do this @ your own risk!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
AlanD

That's interesting about the epsom salt procedure. So I starting looking and found several references to this and other methods.

Like this procedure, some empty the battery out and replace the fluid with epsom salt and water. Others just add epsom salt water to the fluid, then another replaced the fluid with baking soda water.
Then another was a special charger that de-sulfated the plates.

I have a few dead batteries that I'd like to revive so I'm going to keep reading to find the preferred method. Has anybody ever actually tried this themselves?
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #28
SHEC

For me and my coupe, I simply disconnect the 6V when I am done driving for a spell. I have had good luck with batteries lasting on average 6 to 8 yrs. with regular use. I must say that 5 years ago I went to the alternator (6V posi. ground), thus no cutout worries.

I usually try to buy the least expensive battery 6V - group 1, and the make does not seem to matter as far as lifespan. Just a few thoughts - Thanks guys.

Be well -

SHEC

Last edited by SHEC; 02-28-2014 at 08:36 PM.
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #29
James G.

I have Optima 6V batteries in both my 31 Tudor and my 64 VW Bug. They are 8 years old and stay on the Battery junior when parked in the garage. Never a slow start, always fully charged. The Battery Tender Company advertises them as "m\Maintenance chargers" and they do that job well for me!
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
al's28/33

One other question has come to mind........at what point do you hook up the battery tender to begin with on a NEW battery ? Right after the very first time you start the car with it or not till it's a few months old so there has been some decrease in it's power ?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #31
klawockvet

Dateline 1998: I bought a new Durolast battery for my generator. (I live off the grid in Alaska) I took it home and put it on the cement floor of the generator shed. It cranked the diesel generator fine for several years. I wasn't very good about checking the fluid. In 2002 I went south to work and the battery set for about 11 months. Came back and it was fired the generator right up. Sometime around 2010 it finally failed. Was low on water and wouldn't start the generator. Not bad for 12 years. So, I charged it up and planned on a new battery. Then I noticed the motor was running hot and it was due to the belt slipping. Put on a new belt and the temp went back to normal and the battery seemed to be holding a charge. Filled it with rainwater and went on with life. In the last few years we go south for the winter and the battery continues to sit on the concrete floor all winter. We come back in late spring and it cranks right over. Its working fine today. Moral of the story is that good luck in buying a battery trumps good care. When and if this battery ever dies I will clean it up and keep it as a trophy to pass down to my children. As for the Model A, I use a Duracell 6 volt and drive the car almost every day. No problems for the past two years nor do I expect any. My car is a driver and I drive it like Henry designed it to do. These cars were designed to drive and the original system works just fine unless they start suffering from disuse atrophy. JMO.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
One other question has come to mind........at what point do you hook up the battery tender to begin with on a NEW battery ? Right after the very first time you start the car with it or not till it's a few months old so there has been some decrease in it's power ?
If it truly is a tender and not just a low amp charger hooking it up at once will do no harm. All batteries will self discharge and the tender will charge only enough to over come this self discharge, if it truly is a tender by design.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #33
al's28/33

YES the small version with the green face and yellow lettering by Deltran.