Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #121
Sixseven

Default Re: My 1941 Ford 1/2 ton pickup restoration

I see that you have also restored a truck that had character by having a painted name or business on the door. I am hesitant to restore my truck quite yet because of the uniqueness of the old business name that is hand-painted on the side doors. How long have you had your truck before you restored it? Any qualms about removing its' old identity?
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #122
oldrelics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
I've said it before, you are inspiring me. Got another question though. The pickup bed frame looks like it is separate from the bed body, is that the case? I've posted on this forum and shown where my bed has been heavily modified with a steel plate on the bottom of the bed. Did you restore your existing bed or have to get a reproduction?

Another question. Post #85 in pictures 5 and 6 there is a post just to the right of your accelerator pedal, mounted to the floor. What is that?

The subframe side rails are riveted to the bedsides. I haven't changed them yet that's why I have just the subframe on the back. The 'post' is the foot rest, so when you have your foot on the gas pedal your foot doesn't have to try and maintain a steady pressure(you put foot on pedal and rest at the same time)
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #123
oldrelics

Quote:
I see that you have also restored a truck that had character by having a painted name or business on the door. I am hesitant to restore my truck quite yet because of the uniqueness of the old business name that is hand-painted on the side doors. How long have you had your truck before you restored it? Any qualms about removing its' old identity?

No qualms, the doors are off another truck. Explained in the first post this truck is born from 4 plus trucks! We need to see better pics of yours but it would look cool as is.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #124
Sixseven

I have reread your post and see that you created a truck from several. You have successfully repaired rusted areas on the cab and left most of the cab exterior looking original in color. From your example I think I could do the same, leaving the old patina as it is called. thanks for your explanations.

Ken
Old 01-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #125
oldrelics

Quote:
I have reread your post and see that you created a truck from several. You have successfully repaired rusted areas on the cab and left most of the cab exterior looking original in color. From your example I think I could do the same, leaving the old patina as it is called. thanks for your explanations.

Ken
The exterior of the cab, hood and fenders are in gray hi-build primer sprayed with a black guide coat for block sanding. Once I have it all blocked it is gonna get the same green paint that's on the inside(Palisade Gray), and I just haven't done any work on the doors yet.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #126
Sixseven

Do you have a picture handy showing your rear springs? The photos in your posts are from angles where the springs are blocked. A good one would be from the back of the cab towards the rear axle.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #127
dennissr

Recently purchased oak flooring kit for 41 pick up need to protect it from weather and don't want to darken the color too much. My concern is that polyurethane might not soak into the wood and leave a clear film but overtime might lift and fog. what is your experience?
dennissr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #128
alan

water and the natural effects of wood absorbing and shedding water-swelling/shrinking can cause polyurathane to lift-it will not "breath" you will be better off using a spar varnish intended for wooden boats, which is what is on most wooden cars, you can get clear varnish
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #129
Sixseven

Have you ever looked at the option of using fiberglass like the strip built kayaks? The fiberglass adds some depth to the finish which may be undesirable. But it is clear and shows the wood color and grain.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #130
Cartravel

I just got caught up on your project. Very nice. Did you buy the front cab corners? I am making my own and having second thoughts.

Also, what is the toggle switch on the bottom of the dash (to left of steering column).

Here is a photo of some door "art". I don't think I can paint over it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup06.jpg (41.5 KB, 20 views)
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #131
oldrelics

I spliced in the whole quarter section of the lower front that was completely rust free from a squashed cab. The toggle is the factory instrument panel lite on/off switch.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #132
rustedorrotting

i am in the assembly mode for my 41 pickup and would like detailed pics of the engine side firewall. i am not building a 1,000 point show car, but i would like a nice clean job. any help would be appreciated
rustedorrotting is offline   Reply With Quote