Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #181
Cecil/WV

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Redneck, You could go to Tulsa next month with James Parsons and me! Just hook up the trailer and put one of those junkers on it. Don't forget your sissy pants!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #182
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
With all that time on the road have you been planning your next trip?
Next month AnnaRae, Lady, Old Henry and I are driving the rest of California Highway 1 north from San Francisco as far north as we want to go, possibly clear to Seattle.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #183
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
So professor it's really none of my business but I feel the need to inquire. When you pull off into one of those obscure campgrounds and setup your tent in the middle of nowhere do you feel safe for the overnight? What I am asking is do you carry a pistol? Beside the four legged critters there can also be two legged varmints looking for opportunity. Like I said it's none of my business but I wonder if any other barners think the way I do... Bill
Even if the Prof owned a pistol and wanted to have it with him there is no way he could have gotten into Canada with it. I drove through Canada on a trip back east several years ago. At the time I hadn't retired yet and was still an active law enforcement officer with protected plates on my car. When I stopped at the border they must have run my plates because the Canadian border official grilled both my wife and me for about 15 minutes trying to determine if I had a weapon in the car. Luckily it was locked in the evidence locker back at the station. Handguns in Canada are a big no no.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #184
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Prof. Thanks for the photo of the honey. Let us know if it's good enough to send for a tub, please?

The deal with the screen brightness still has me giggling.

Enjoy your own bed tonight!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #185
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Even if the Prof owned a pistol and wanted to have it with him there is no way he could have gotten into Canada with it. I drove through Canada on a trip back east several years ago. At the time I hadn't retired yet and was still an active law enforcement officer with protected plates on my car. When I stopped at the border they must have run my plates because the Canadian border official grilled both my wife and me for about 15 minutes trying to determine if I had a weapon in the car. Luckily it was locked in the evidence locker back at the station. Handguns in Canada are a big no no.
Yeah, they grilled me at the border about any kind of firearm or anything else dangerous, like Mace spray or anything. I guess they didn't think little Lady looked all that dangerous. Of course, I had nothing. I wondered what they would say or do if I actually had something but didn't ask.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #186
Alaska Jim

Bill, you can not take a pistol into Canada, don't even try. even hard for a Canadian citizen to get a permit for one. oops sorry, did not see 51504bat's post.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #187
Alaska Jim

Old Henry, enjoy your trip down the California coast I think you will find the scenery very beautiful. I made that trip back in the 80's in a Triumph TR-6 , which was a lot of fun on the windy roads. be sure to make it into the Redwoods, those trees are unbelievable in person. seeing them on T.V. or in a book just doesn't do it. I jogged off the coast and went to Tillamook to visit the Cheese factory, but they were not giving tours that day, but I did buy so great cheese. enjoy your trip.-----Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #188
corvette8n

Post # 176 is certainly a post card moment, really great scenery.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #189
Old Henry

Day 12 - Final Report

WE DID IT!!!

WE DROVE THERE AND BACK

Final stretch to home 386 miles. Total direct map miles per Google Maps for the trip 4,821. Total miles per Old Henry's odometer 5,093.

Today was a most pleasant day. Spent the morning in church with my daughter, her husband, and 5 cute little energetic girls. On the freeway all the way home through many rain and hail storms. Grooved concrete surfaces so a lot of "bias-ply boogie".

Sure had a more dramatic welcome back to Utah than I got arriving in Alaska or Skagway. Just after crossing the border into Utah, this scene greeted us:

Yes, a full rainbow clear across the road to drive under, although we never quite got to it to drive under it.

Now I have to tell you why I will always refer to this trip as the one I drove the "Miracle Miles". Here's why:

I drive this car every day and do a road trip per month totaling about 1,000 miles per month on average. There isn't a month goes by that something doesn't break or wear out that I have to spend a few hours repairing or replacing. So, logically, since I was going to be driving 5 months worth of miles in 11 days, it makes sense that I would have at least 5 breakdowns that would take at least an hour each to fix. Right? So, how many did I have? ZERO! I stopped once to balance the back tires, which I don't call a breakdown, and adjusted the vacuum brake on the distributor. Again, not really a breakdown. Then, had to tap my generator with a hammer once to fix it. Also, not a breakdown. So, in my opinion, this trip was a complete miracle.

Driving along I spent a lot of time pondering why I had absolutely no major mechanical problems on this trip of over 5,000 miles in 12 days. This is the conclusion that I reached that you can believe or not. I believe it.

In the musical "Fiddler on the Roof", after listing all of the blessings for so many things, the Rabbi is asked, "Is there a blessing for the Tsar?" He responds that there is. Well, if there is a blessing for the Tsar, I believe that there is also a blessing for a flathead, especially if it's on the Lord's errand. "So, are you saying Old Henry was on the Lord's errand??" Yes, this is one additional agenda that we had for the trip related to the picture of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on the sides of the car that I have not previously mentioned. Everyplace we stopped and people came up to talk about the car they often asked about the picture which led to a discussion about spiritual things and additional scriptures that further testify that Jesus Christ was who and what He said He was. Many of those people developed additional interest to the point of taking a copy of those additional scriptures and/or a CD of the choir singing. In a way, I felt like Johnny Appleseed planting seeds of faith along the way. It was just one more service that we were performing in addition to reporting the trip to all of you that gave that good feeling to us as the givers and you as the receivers. I believe that Old Henry, and all of us, were blessed with such a safe and uneventful trip in part because of the service we were rendering along the way. Believe what you like but that's how I see it.

"Hey, Ol Ron, way back there in the back, can you hear me? The answer is YES, we are there yet. Get out and go home. Thanks for riding."

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-23-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #190
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Post # 176 is certainly a post card moment, really great scenery.
Got a PM from J Witt that included this:

"I lived in Washington state for many years. . . The erosion valleys of central Washington have an incredibly interesting geological history. Really amazing country. Here's a link to some more info on the whole story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods "

I checked the link out. Very interesting.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-23-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #191
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Old Henry, enjoy your trip down the California coast I think you will find the scenery very beautiful. I made that trip back in the 80's in a Triumph TR-6 , which was a lot of fun on the windy roads. be sure to make it into the Redwoods, those trees are unbelievable in person. seeing them on T.V. or in a book just doesn't do it. I jogged off the coast and went to Tillamook to visit the Cheese factory, but they were not giving tours that day, but I did buy so great cheese. enjoy your trip.-----Jim
Thanks. The Redwoods are definitely on our itinerary. They've been on my bucket list all my life.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #192
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Good stuff, Prof. Continental Divide is a thing, or feature rather than a place name. It's the imaginary line where water drains into the pacific on one side and the atlantic on the other. So unless this little place was actually really called that name, it may be more likely that it was on or near the continental divide. I've seen the signs, normally at the tops of various mountain passes.

The cliffs in the pic above remind me of the car shaped cliffs in Radiator Springs in the Cars movie.

Mart.
Yes. He actually had a big sign on his place "Continental Divide".

I still remembering crossing the continental divide the first time as a kid driving through Yellowstone with the family and dad explaining what it was. I've crossed it many times since on road trips. It's usually identified with a sign and elevation. I think I crossed it three times on this trip.

Here are some more of those "Cars" style formations:

Capitol Reef National Monument:

Monument Valley

Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-23-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #193
koates

Thanks Craig for the great adventure and beautiful photography. By the way, don't push your luck with that generator. Pull it off and check it out before your next trip. Otherwise it might stick you up and the MAGIC HAMMER may not work a second time. Best regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 AM   #194
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Thanks Craig for the great adventure and beautiful photography. By the way, don't push your luck with that generator. Pull it off and check it out before your next trip. Otherwise it might stick you up and the MAGIC HAMMER may not work a second time. Best regards, Kevin.
I will certainly replace the brushes before we head to California next month.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #195
47Sooner

Thanks for taking us along the way !!
47Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #196
flatford8

I also think your successful trip was not due to luck.... It and you were blessed..... As were we for you sharing it with us...Thanks Again!!....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #197
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

You need to round up another generator to have for a spare when traveling on your adventures. If you have it you will never need it I have found. Thanks for the tour. I enjoyed it very much. I did buy the wife a new car to get her off my back for a couple of days. I also put several road maps in it just hopping it gets her thinking? So far it has not worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me39front.jpg (88.5 KB, 99 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #198
Legends47

Thank you for taking us along for the trip, your photos are awesome. Thank you for posting all of your road trips. Somewhere down the road I am sure you will be writing a book of your memories. Old Henry did it's job once again.
Legends47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #199
Ol' Ron

Thanks for the ride, and I always go with God, he's a great helper.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #200
RalphM

Great trip! And it was amazing to have a rainbow greeting you when you got home. I think I would really enjoy one of those coffee table books every one keeps talking about.
Maybe someday when you get tired of driving, Right!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote