Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Capt Kirk

Default Show and tell.

A little show and tell what I did today. My 35 spent a few years in my shop in Fairbanks being neglected during my divorce. After that, it spent the last year being neglected after I got it down here to MI. I felt guilty about that so I dedicated today to babying the car and giving it the attention that has been absent for the last 3 or 4 years. With buffer in hand and a myriad of assorted expensive car care products...I went to work. As the day went on, I began to question my sanity. I sacrificed one of my fiancé's white tank tops to get the final polish on the car...she looked great in that T-top...I hope she doesn't notice! I then grabbed my tooth brush and with a bowl of soapy water...I detailed the engine. I think we have some spare tooth brushes...my teeth will be fine. I caught myself waxing the back side of the rear license plate...come on...everybody does that...right? Anyway, the car now looks presentable and it was great to finally get to do a couple laps around the block with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small1.jpg (231.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg small2.jpg (216.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg small3.jpg (149.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg small4.jpg (156.9 KB, 149 views)
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Show and tell.

beautiful car, you are a fortunate fellow!
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
36 ford

As John Wayne said " A man oughta do what he thinks is best "

Well done and a mighty fine 35'!

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Looking nice Kirk!! Come to think of it, I believe I sold you some parts for that car some years ago. I recall sending a large box of '35 stuff to Fairbanks, Alaska. I also believe someone sent me an article with the complete story on that car and what all you did on the restoration. It was the Alaska connection that triggered my memory.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
jrvariel48

Capt., you did a great job! Definitely something to be proud of!!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
19Fordy

Really looks nice. Your dad would be proud.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
LBs 37V8

Looks like your car should have been at Motor Muster at Greenfield Village today! Beautiful car!
Bryan
LBs 37V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Capt Kirk

JM35...if your name is John Mason then yes, you did sell me some parts and gave me a wealth of information. I have been indebted to you to this day for all the help you provided...thank you. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since we last talked and it's nice reuniting with you now. As you can see, the 35 survived the trip down from AK. It's nice to have some summer to do these things that I like to do.
LBS...my future father in law lives in GB. I didn't know about the show and I wouldn't have been ready for it...I am now. I've never been to a show in the lower 48...a little intimidating to me. The car is beautiful but there's some changes that my dad did to it that remain on it now. I don't want to go to a show and get beat up about those things. A lay-person would have no idea...and Alaska's full of lay-person's. I'm fairly new to MI and would love to get into the show circuit but don't know how I can find out about them and don't know if I'd be getting flack for having juice brakes and two wipers down low instead of one at the top.
Empty wallet
Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Ralph Moore

Kirk,
Where were you hiding that beauty? I've been in Fairbanks for the last 18 years and never saw your car. And 35's are at the top of my wish list when it comes to old Fords.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Cap'n............... that '35 is stunning. Absolutely beautiful car I love it Looks great!!

Now, for pictures of the fiancee w/o the tank top you borrowed---------sorry I'm only kidding
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
flat-v8

Super Classy! Love it!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
Mike in AZ

looks like a productive day.....she's a beauty....congrats.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
JM35...if your name is John Mason then yes, you did sell me some parts and gave me a wealth of information. I have been indebted to you to this day for all the help you provided...thank you. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since we last talked and it's nice reuniting with you now. As you can see, the 35 survived the trip down from AK. It's nice to have some summer to do these things that I like to do.
LBS...my future father in law lives in GB. I didn't know about the show and I wouldn't have been ready for it...I am now. I've never been to a show in the lower 48...a little intimidating to me. The car is beautiful but there's some changes that my dad did to it that remain on it now. I don't want to go to a show and get beat up about those things. A lay-person would have no idea...and Alaska's full of lay-person's. I'm fairly new to MI and would love to get into the show circuit but don't know how I can find out about them and don't know if I'd be getting flack for having juice brakes and two wipers down low instead of one at the top.
Kirk, it was good to be able to help you out with parts and information on your car. I am sure I still have many of your pictures, and emails that we exchanged, filed somewhere on my old puter. The car certainly turned out very nice.
On the show thing, maybe you might want to consider joining the Early Ford V-8 Club and possibly a regional group that is located near you. Your car would fit nicely into one of the two touring classes or even the display class as well. The V-8 Club is high on preserving originality, but many of the members also own cars that are modified like yours, traditional hot rods, and some are also into streetrods. You can meet many like minded friends who are eager to share their knowledge and help you with parts you may need.
There is still time for you to join the club and attend the Central National Meet in Brainerd, Minnesota next month if you could see your way clear to do that. I don't think many, if any, would nitpick at the changes you or your Dad have made on this car, but instead many would enjoy seeing this car just as it is now.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-20-2015 at 08:40 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
Capt Kirk

Ralph, I lived up on Moose Mt and was a member of the Vernon Nash club. Did a few shows at the Carlson center with both the 35 and 56. I didn't drive the car much...went on a couple cuises but kept a pretty low profile. Knew Willy Vinton and actually asked him to put the 35 in the new auto museum while I was getting all this personal stuff sorted out but apparently they didn't have any space. It's all worked out now.
Empty wallet
Old 06-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
Capt Kirk

John, you probably saw the "what would you do" thread that I posted earlier this week. I was struggling with putting the car back to original (as much as I could do) or leaving it the way that my dad set it up. Money isn't the issue. I love the car the way it is and has been for my whole life. In Fairbanks, people saw a beautiful car...I'm worried that down here it's going to be nit-picking contest. Nobody knows the story with this car. It's the story that makes the car what it is.
Empty wallet
Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #16
Shadetree

A day well spent! A real beauty! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
ford38v8

Kirk, What John told you is true, the EFV8 Club has several show classes that your '35 would definitely be a strong competitor in. Don't for a minute think that those modifications will keep you out, and definitely will not draw snickers from anyone either. Take the Ferry across the lake and enjoy your car with several hundred other Fords of the era. (And the owners!)
Old 06-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Wow Nice car ,the 35s always look good in black ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #19
kiwitony

Great car and story, be careful you don't get divorced before your married using the girlfriends tank top. Women are funny about these things,I nearly get divorced every time I dry my greasy mitts on the white towels in the bathroom. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #20
countrysquire

Outstanding job on a stunning car. Wish it was mine!
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote