Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Shewman's High Flow Thermostats

I've still got a little heat problem and was considering installing Bob Shewman's "high flow" thermostats. He sent me some photos

but they really didn't show very well how they worked so I just called and talked to him about them so that I could understand what makes them higher flow than the standard stock syle thermostats now available for our flatheads. I thought maybe it had a butterfly valve that folded up and moved clear out of the path of the water to increase the flow or something else more "magical". What he told me was that he bought 400 military surplus 180° thermostats that work the same as the standard ones with a valve surface that opens and closes by a spring heating up and cooling the same as the others. He soldered a bushing around the tubular stat to make it fit tight in the flathead upper hose and drilled holes through the control valve to let more water through. That's it. So, it looks like to me that his "high flow" stats are nothing more than standard thermostats with a bunch of holes drilled through the control surface to increase the flow. Of course, that increases the flow both when the stat is open and when it is closed, which, in the winter may not let the engine warm up to temperature at all. All things considered, for $50.00 per pair, looks like I could drill holes in the stats I've already got and get the same benefit/detriment. Not condemning, just informing.

Note. This is for the 32-48 stats. The ones he sells for 49-53 are different. I did not discuss those with him.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Shewman's High Flow Thermostats

Henry, Why not leave out your thermostats altogether and use a radiator cover till the engine warms up in the morning?

Or... you could install a pair of big brass gate valves with shiny red handles!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, Why not leave out your thermostats altogether and use a radiator cover till the engine warms up in the morning?
I've tried that. I'm not vigilant enough to watch the temperature gauge to know when to stop and take the cardboard out so I end up overheating in the winter. As I've said in response to this same suggestion before, the way I drive climbing up the steep side of a mountain and then down the other steep side, I'd have to be vigilamt enough to remember to stop and take the cardboard out at the bottom of the mountain and then stop again and put it back in at the top not to mention all of the shorter but still lengthy ups and downs on both sides. I don't like to see my temperature gauge go from 200 to 100 in a matter of minutes - can't be good for the engine I wouldn't think. So, I opted for Henry's idea - thermostats. Crazy idea I know but there you have it.

The manual valves would be even more work than the cardboard.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
52merc

well you wont stop the temp going from 200 to 100 when you have been climbing working the engine then coming down the mountain the air will cool the radiator down you are fighting a losing battle against science
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Old Henry

I actually tested it and that is not correct. The thermostat does, in fact, keep the engine from cooling down below the thermostat setting.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
russcc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Drilling relief holes in t-states is an old time solution that helps them open sooner, and at the same time flow more.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

It may be possible to modify the later high flow thermostat to fit inside the 59AB hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THERMOD.jpg (65.5 KB, 1743 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 07-27-2013 at 06:40 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Bill S

I was driving around today out side temp got up the 75 and the Ford temp was a little under 1/2 way. No problem over heating.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Robertshaw # 330 is for the 49-53 Fords and others, I have been running the same pair of original Robertshaw t-stats for many years.

I don't know if there is a number for the earlier V/8's

link below could be a repop of the originals? (19.99 ea.)

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/...c22/index.html
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
flatjack9

A little grinding on the OD of those thermostats and they fill fit the early engine just fine.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
L78CHEVELLE

Many years ago I purchased some thermostats for the 48 back flathead engines that have a dial to set the opening temperature at 140 up to 190. With my '40 I set the dial on the thermostats at 140 year around. In KY my car runs 160 in the winter time and 160 to 180 in the summer. No holes drilled or changes to the original design. They fit in the heads and I think the brand name is Doyle. Maybe wrong about the name since I put them in about 2 years ago. The 140 gives a very good range and will not let the engine drop below 140 at any time after the engine warms up above the 140 mark. I have Carpenter new design water pumps on this particular '40 I'm referring to.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post

Or... you could install a pair of big brass gate valves with shiny red handles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I've tried that. I'm not vigilant enough to watch the temperature gauge to know when to stop and take the cardboard out so I end up overheating in the winter. As I've said in response to this same suggestion before, the way I drive climbing up the steep side of a mountain and then down the other steep side, I'd have to be vigilamt enough to remember to stop and take the cardboard out at the bottom of the mountain and then stop again and put it back in at the top not to mention all of the shorter but still lengthy ups and downs on both sides. I don't like to see my temperature gauge go from 200 to 100 in a matter of minutes - can't be good for the engine I wouldn't think. So, I opted for Henry's idea - thermostats. Crazy idea I know but there you have it.

The manual valves would be even more work than the cardboard.

Back about 1960 a neighbor had a '57 brand X that he brought down from Canada. A heavy material roller shade was fitted to the front of the radiator. A system of pulleys allowed the pull cord to be run in to the passenger compartment. This arrangement allowed full control of the air flow through the radiator by the driver. Sort of like a manual version of the radiator dampers on diesels.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
mike42

Where do you drill relief holes ?

Thx.....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78CHEVELLE View Post
Many years ago I purchased some thermostats for the 48 back flathead engines that have a dial to set the opening temperature at 140 up to 190. With my '40 I set the dial on the thermostats at 140 year around. In KY my car runs 160 in the winter time and 160 to 180 in the summer. No holes drilled or changes to the original design. They fit in the heads and I think the brand name is Doyle. Maybe wrong about the name since I put them in about 2 years ago. The 140 gives a very good range and will not let the engine drop below 140 at any time after the engine warms up above the 140 mark. I have Carpenter new design water pumps on this particular '40 I'm referring to.
L78,the brand you are thinking of is "DOLE" / they made many Therm back in the day. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
oldskool

I have a pair of mr gasket thermostats that fit in 49-53 housings,they are made for racing ,160 or 180 looks like bobs to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002206.jpg (51.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IM002207.jpg (35.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IM002208.jpg (33.0 KB, 175 views)
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #16
Terry,OH

I could not get my 35 engine over 140 without stats, I now have Roberts and run 180-190 driving very hot days. The only problem I encountered was a small bit of overflow when the stats opened due to surge of coolant to the tank. Took coolant level down a bit and no more overflow. I do not run a pressure cap and the overflow tube is not blocked. I'm happy.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
G.M.

Terry you need Skips 3 lb pressure valve on the bottom of the over flow tube. Running with a low water levels decreases the amount of coolant in the system causing higher operating temperature. It is a 22 quart system not 17. G.M.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
It may be possible to modify the later high flow thermostat to fit inside the 59AB hose.
I like your thinking. If I do anything different that's probably what I'll do.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
donald1950

on my 59 motor in my 41 PU, i took prestone 180 degree super stats, ground the outside down a litttle so they were slightly larger than the outlet of the head and so when i pushed the hose down over the stat and outlet neck on the head and clamped the hose, the stat never moved and i was able to use modern stats. they had enough flow that i only had it heat up at idle with low airflow through the radiator..... don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
john in illinois

Thermostats for model A's are made with modern thermostats ground down as pictured above. They have an 1 3/4 " thin tube tig welded to the rim to stabilize the unit in the hose. Don't know if this would flow enough for a V8.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote