Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
abbie

Default Lucus tires

I am running wire wheels on my 23 "T" and they are beginning to crack from age. The size is 440/450-21. Has anyone had good or bad results from Lucas? They seem to be the most bag for the bucks and not nylon; which should ride better. Thanks
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Lucus tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I am running wire wheels on my 23 "T" and they are beginning to crack from age. The size is 440/450-21. Has anyone had good or bad results from Lucas? They seem to be the most bag for the bucks and not nylon; which should ride better. Thanks
How many miles are you going to be driving a year. If not a lot more than a few, what difference will it make. It's not like your putting on 20000 miles a year.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
abbie

I only put about 1000 miles each year on the car; but I was more concerned about tires out of round, generally more issues with Lucas than others.
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
[email protected]

I guess if there's a good chance the tires can be out of round and you know this for fact, and it seems you know there's a good chance the quality of the tires is questionable then I guess if I was in your shoes I wouldn't buy them. Why put yourself into a situation that's going to cause you grief and cost more money farther down the road. Maybe Lucas tires don't give more bang for the buck. JMHO
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I guess if there's a good chance the tires can be out of round and you know this for fact, and it seems you know there's a good chance the quality of the tires is questionable then I guess if I was in your shoes I wouldn't buy them. Why put yourself into a situation that's going to cause you grief and cost more money farther down the road. Maybe Lucas tires don't give more bang for the buck. JMHO

This sums it up pretty well!

On the nylon part of things; I have always felt ok with old tires if they have nylon cord. Nylon stays good a lot longer than most other materials that seem to rot. A good looking rayon tire can blow out without notice if it is old. I have a bus with nylon tires that takes about 50 miles to warm the tires so they are round again but I have not noticed that on T tires.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
ldj1002

Surely, the tires are guaranteed. A out or round tire is defective. I remember years ago you could have a out of round tire trued up. Do any tire places still do that?
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Years ago we crazy race guys used to go the the race car shop to true our tires.. They had this rig that would take any wheel and tire and spin it up and there was an arm with a razor blade that would shave a tire perfectly true. I brought T wheels there when I was going really much faster than anyone in his right mind would try to go in a T.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote