Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #81
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Newer ford dual mastercylinder on 40 ford brakes

This has been a very informative and interesting thread, one of the best here on the board on this subject. Thanks to all who have responded ...

Right or wrong, I am using a 70-72 Mustang drum-drum mc having F100 front brakes and 46-48 style Ford rear brakes on my avatar. It has worked well with me for 7+ years and many, many hard miles but I am constantly having to adjust them, add small amounts of fluid, and the pedal was never really hard. Up to a while ago I thought that was normal until I drove my buddies 29 pickup with 40 brakes front and rear and a Corvette mc sold by Speedway with outlets on either side. It locked up all 4 wheels, stopped very well, and had a great pedal feel, like "right there". My present 32 project with F100 front brakes converted to self adjusters and a 9" drum brake rear will have this mc also. Not quite the same but still drum-drum. I am close to completing this one and will let you know how she does ....

This mc btw can be for drum-drum or disc-drum and I am using 3/16" lines throughout. Both reservoirs on this mc are the same size. Once the present project and my wife's 40 pickup are done, my avatar will be due for some updates and I will swap to the Speedway Corvette style mc with it.

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 09-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #82
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
This has been a very informative and interesting thread, one of the best here on the board on this subject. Thanks to all who have responded ...

Right or wrong, I am using a 70-72 Mustang drum-drum mc having F100 front brakes and 46-48 style Ford rear brakes on my avatar. It has worked well with me for 7+ years and many, many hard miles but I am constantly having to adjust them, add small amounts of fluid, and the pedal was never really hard. Up to a while ago I thought that was normal until I drove my buddies 29 pickup with 40 brakes front and rear and a Corvette mc sold by Speedway with outlets on either side. It locked up all 4 wheels, stopped very well, and had a great pedal feel, like "right there". My present 32 project with F100 front brakes converted to self adjusters and a 9" drum brake rear will have this mc also. Not quite the same but still drum-drum. I am close to completing this one and will let you know how she does ....

This mc btw can be for drum-drum or disc-drum and I am using 3/16" lines throughout. Both reservoirs on this mc are the same size. Once the present project and my wife's 40 pickup are done, my avatar will be due for some updates and I will swap to the Speedway Corvette style mc with it.
Have you tested your system to verify that it will still stop when a hose blows? In other words, you need to open a bleeder screw (either front or rear) and then do a panic stop. Then do the same on the other end of the car. If the pedal goes completely to the floor without even slowing you down your dual setup is totally worthless! The pedal goes almost to the floor even in OEM applications, so if a conversion to an early Ford is not engineered properly, the safety factor is lost because the pedal hits the floor before the master cylinder can build any pressure.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #83
TomT/Williamsburg

Gotcha - I will check this out ......
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #84
fcompoccio

Yes Ive seen the under dash kits, but would like to talk to someone that's done it.
fcompoccio is offline   Reply With Quote