Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
G80

Default Flathead Longevity

I've heard the flathead described as an "eternal engine" because it's geometry allows the replacement of sleeves and valve guides. Can you really run a flathead as long as your willing to rebuild it, or does the block warp after a certain number of rebuilds? I've daily drive classic cars before and I'm interested in a flathead for my next ride, so please fill me in!
G80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Flathead Longevity

Most rebuilds do not get sleeves unless there is a problem to correct. IF you did use sleeves and replace the sleeves as needed the block sees little to no impact during a rebuild. Ford 8N tractors work this way and the engines should, as you say, last forever.

Even without sleeving you can overbore a flathead many times. With each rebuild you are going to get a lot of miles out of it with reasonable care. Boring a flathead block is not going to lead to a block warping.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Russ/40

Aside the few cracks that are terminal, I would say you could rebuild them almost forever. Too many decking procedures could also be their demise. Without proper control of rust in the jackets I suppose that could be terminal eventually. Takes a lot to kill a flathead.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Ralph Moore

Flatheads Forever!
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

I would guess most flahead engines will long outlive their owner.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
I would guess most flahead engines will long outlive their owner.
And most likely the next several owners!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Old Henry

Mine has 248,000 miles on it with just a couple of rebuilds. It is presently running better than it ever has. As has been said, I'm sure it will outlast me.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And you probably put as many miles on them as anyone! High altitude driving, mountain driving, desert driving, etc!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
2935ford

My freshly rebuilt Flatty will live way longer then me...........with about a thousand miles a season! Feels like I get 100k a season!!!!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Shadetree

The only weakness I know that the flathead has is overheating. I ruined a perfect `40 engine back in the mid 50's. A careless teenager didn't see the heat gauge in time.

I have heard you can run the engine wide open without a load and the valves will float before it comes apart.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #11
Bubsyouruncle

The Ford flathead was designed by good engineers paid by a demanding boss who was determined to get the most out of the investment in time and material.

Given proper care and reasonable demands a flathead may well see service on the moon.

Will an SBC?
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #12
Admiral

When asked if driving on the highway was too stressful for the engine in my ‘36 sedan, John Miller, my engine builder and loooooong time flathead V8 enthusiast said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

When asked if a Columbia or similar OD was a good idea he said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

When asked about oil viscosity and change intervals, valve adjustments, carburetor rebuilds and the like he said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

My take on all of this is that Henry’s venerable side-valve V8 is pretty much unbreakable in stock form so long as you take reasonable care of it and don’t allow it to overheat. Mine routinely sees 4,000 RPM and sounds sweet all the while. Do I ever worry about sending a rod through the block or blowing the bottom end out? No, not really. If something ever did happen out on the road I can probably fix it with a crescent wrench and some bailing wire.

I think a lot of folks are far too easy on these machines (though it is understandable if you just spend six figures and a decade’s worth of time restoring a 1,000-point car); they were designed to give years of trouble-free service under the most trying conditions. My 59L block was already hogged out 0.060 when I got it and John took it another 0.020, so it's probably been rebuilt, what, at least four times? Like him, I say, “Just drive ‘em.”

Last edited by Admiral; 08-01-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Too many spaces between paragraphs.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
scooder

The block doesn't warp after so many rebuilds. Also it's been said that the cranks can only stand a couple of grinds before the hardens is cut through, this is also a steaming pile of toss! The crank will go as far as you can get bearings. The big journal cranks can even go to small journal size then it's undersized bearings if you needed too.
The saying "Flatheads Forever" is true. Not regarding the terminal cracks that can effect any engine.
Don't worry, just drive it.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
earlyride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle View Post
The Ford flathead was designed by good engineers paid by a demanding boss who was determined to get the most out of the investment in time and material.

Given proper care and reasonable demands a flathead may well see service on the moon.

Will an SBC?
Love my flathead and love my SBC also, it's in my suburban and has over 334,000 original miles without a rebuild, so yes they too may well see service on the moon
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote