Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
Scott52

Default 8BA oil routing help

Still mocking up the engine. Spent an hour plus looking thru old posts and my tear down photos. There are 2 fitting holes on the back of the block. They are connected. I think there was an aftermarket oil pressure gauge line attached there. What is the correct use of the two holes? Then there is the oil filter filter. There is a T that I believe is the oil input with am original oil pressure sender. There needs to be a .060 restrictor at the filter input. Is the restrictor before the sending unit or is the T supposed to have a restrictor at the input to the filter. Also where does the output of the filter (at the bottom) go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1973.jpg (45.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1972.jpg (43.3 KB, 56 views)
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 8BA oil routing help

Both of those ports at the back of the block are getting pressure from the pump. Some cars use one for the sender, and one for the filter, some have the T by the filter as you have. In your case one port will be plugged with a pipe plug, the other will go to the T. Once you get there, the restrictor should be towards the filter, and allow full pressure to the sender. Out the bottom the line will go to a threaded boss in the block, left side, just above the oil pan . 1/4" lines with inverted flare fittings is generally used.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
Scott52

Great info. I will probably use the aftermarket and original sender. I have tubing flaring tools. It’s a bit irritating that I can’t find all my photos or remember if I took a photo. My intention it to take photos of everything. It’s the slipping memory of getting old.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
Newc

Modern use age rarely needs a filter. Club member just discovered that his after-market oil pump is NOT machined correctly as far as block fit. Bought from big 'S' in Nebraska. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Scott52

Found all the fittings and oil lines and all match up. Took the engine out of the car 2 years ago with the left head and intake removed. Some stuff connected but pushed aside. Even found a baggie that had the brass lower block oil return fitting in it labeled "pass side" when I meant the drivers side. All set now with the exception of verifying the T at the oil filter has a restricted hole.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
Scott52

I checked the "T" going into the filter. There is a restrictor hole of .055. I would assume that is OK, close to .060. It seem to me that this is a special "T" just for that purpose. I haven't really noticed on other off the shelf "Ts" Just trying to increase my knowledge. Part of the fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1985.jpg (17.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
cas3

Yes, that must be a special item for your Ford. I've never had one.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote