Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default Silver Cad paint

I need a can of Silver Cad paint. I looked into Eastwood. 19.99 for the can of paint. Okay, I can deal with that. Shipping is 20.81. $40.80 for a can of spray paint is borderline theft.

This is why Eastwood is a rip off outfit.

Does anyone have a source for Silver Cad where I don't have to give my first born and left nut for a can of paint?

Thanks,
Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Silver Cad paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I need a can of Silver Cad paint. I looked into Eastwood. 19.99 for the can of paint. Okay, I can deal with that. Shipping is 20.81. $40.80 for a can of spray paint is borderline theft.

Does anyone have a source for Silver Cad where I don't have to give my first born and left nut for a can of paint?

Thanks,
Seth
Seth, Rustoleum® makes a matte aluminum paint that mimics cadmium fairly well. Of course, their spray buttons are for poop, so I suggest you spray out all you need and plan on throwing what remains of the paint in the trash directly after use.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Seth, Rustoleum® makes a matte aluminum paint that mimics cadmium fairly well. Of course, their spray buttons are for poop, so I suggest you spray out all you need and plan on throwing what remains of the paint in the trash directly after use.
Yes, I agree. Their spray nozzles are garbage. I can get Rustoleum locally. I'll look into it thanks!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
35fordtn

42553786-5C9E-49B9-989E-42522CB4638E.jpg
F3EBA430-3E1C-4855-875B-EC779B298478.jpg

Seth I am fortunate enough to get cad done easily. I send a batch out twice a month. Before that I used the paint shown. The fuel pump cover on the top is painted the. Other is real cad. At $3 a can it was useful when I needed it
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #5
ndnchf

Duplicolor has a couple different silver engine paints. I use their Cast Coat Aluminum. DE1650 on the generator cutouts I refurbish. Most auto parts stores carry it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220810_104957_copy_500x615.jpg (57.2 KB, 14 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have not bought anything from Eastwood for so long that they have finally quit sending me catalogs!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Yeah, I don't get Eastwood's business model. I haven't ordered anything from them in ages.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post

Thanks,
Seth
Seth: I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered a rattle can of the silver cad paint from Eastwood. Shipping charge turned out to be way less than the $20.81 shown on their website. That must be a typo. Anywho, I did not use all of the can and I believe there is still maybe half a can left that I don't believe I will have a need for. It is yours for shipping costs if you are interested. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Thanks everyone. I got a phone call from Michael Driskell and it looks like I'll be able to get real cad plating from him. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out the tips you guys sent me. Rustoleum and Duplicolor are commonly found in stores near me.

I understand the cost to do business is sky high. Especially for small businesses, who I will support first. Shipping is not cheap but cripes sake I can't justify just ordering one item from Eastwood. Also, they try to attach other junk to your order and if you're not paying attention, you'll get more than you wanted. Strange.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Attachment 496525
Attachment 496526

Seth I am fortunate enough to get cad done easily. I send a batch out twice a month. Before that I used the paint shown. The fuel pump cover on the top is painted the. Other is real cad. At $3 a can it was useful when I needed it

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #11
rotorwrench

On most rattle cans, they will empty the fluid tube if you turn it upside down and spray it till it comes clear. I then shoot a spritz of carb cleaner through the nozzle and then carefully reinstall it. I avoid brands that will spray upside down since this won't work on them. These types are spray till your empty if you can. Otherwise chuck it in the round file as Kube mentioned. After a few days it will never spray again.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
On most rattle cans, they will empty the fluid tube if you turn it upside down and spray it till it comes clear. I then shoot a spritz of carb cleaner through the nozzle and then carefully reinstall it. I avoid brands that will spray upside down since this won't work on them. These types are spray till your empty if you can. Otherwise chuck it in the round file as Kube mentioned. After a few days it will never spray again.
I don't turn the can upside down and clear the line and nozzle, since I feel it wastes some paint. I just remove the nozzle and spray carb/choke cleaner through it. Never had a problem.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #13
36and63

I really like many of the Eastwood coatings, I've noticed the ridiculous shipping prices too.
Try Amazon, they have many Eastwood items including the silver cad for 18.99 and free shipping for prime.
I have ordered a number of Eastwood paints this way. It almost seems that Eastwood is preferring that sales go through Amazon.

Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #14
PeteVS

I've found a secret for dealing with the "spray in any position" cans. I picked up a can of 3M Spray Gun Cleaner at Harbor Freight. It's an aerosol and the label says that it's Acetone inside. I use it to clean out aerosol paint nozzles all the time now. It comes with a skinny extension tube that fits into most of the small nozzles. I pop the nozzle off the can of paint, stick the tube in the bottom and give it a spritz. For larger nozzles, like the Rustoleum, I have a short piece of 1/8" OD teflon tubing that nicely fits over the tube on the cleaning aerosol and into the base of the Rustoleum nozzle. I have a can of Krylon and that has an even larger nozzle. For that, I have a tiny bottle of sub-turps that I throw the nozzle into, cap the bottle, shake it a bit and blow it out with air.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #15
larry butcher

Are you near a welding supply store? From my local welding supply store that I purchase my welding gas and wire & etc.; they carry "Brite Zinc" in aerosol cans. It's a galvanizing product, but gives a good finish
larry butcher is offline   Reply With Quote