Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Torque Screwdriver Setting Instructions (San Laing)

READ POST #3 BEFORE READING THIS ORIGINAL POST #1 below.

I AM NOT GETTING CONSISTENT READINGS and am not happy with this tool.

Here's my original post.
If you are thinking about buying a SanLaing Inch Pound Screwdriver, be sure to print out the instructions below.

I just bought a Inch Pound SanLaing Torque Screwdriver only to find that the instructions are misleading, incomplete and very poorly written. I have re-written the instructions with understandable detailed information for adjusting the torque setting. Hope this helps those who have this tool. They are posted below:

How To Use San Laing Torque Screwdriver. (8/7/2022)

There are 2 scales. Main Scale is Black with white numbers and a Deputy Scale.

The Deputy Scale shows White Numbers in the little window above the Red Load Knob. When the Load Knob is turned CCW all the way there is no load on the screwdriver spring and 0 shows in the Deputy Scale window. When the number 0 appears in the Deputy Scale window and you pull and turn the RED bottom Load knob CW the number in the Deputy Scale window will increase 1 in. lb. at a time until it again shows a 0 in the Deputy Scale window. This means you have increased the torque on the Main Scale 10 in. lbs.

To set the torque you desire pull and turn the Red Load Knob at the bottom of the handle CW to raise the RED BAR upward until the bottom of the RED BAR is even with the torque number (setting) you want.

EXAMPLES: To set torque to 10 in. lbs. Pull and Turn the RED Load Knob CCW all the way down until 0 shows in Deputy Scale Window. Then pull and turn Load Knob CW one increment at a time (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0) until a 0 again appears in the Deputy Scale window. At that point the bottom of the RED Bar will align with the number 10 on the Main Scale. This means you have set your screwdriver to the 10 in. lb. torque setting.

If you want to increase the in. lb. torque to 15 in.lb., pull the bottom RED LOAD knob and turn it another 5 increments as shown in the Deputy Scale window. The bottom of the RED BAR will now be aligned with the 15 mark on the black Main Scale.

To increase the torque setting to 16, 17, 18 ,19 20 in. lb. and higher, pull and turn the RED Bottom Load Knob CW one in. lb. number at a time until you get to 0 on the Deputy Scale. Every 0 to 0 revolution of the RED Load Knob will raise the bottom of the RED BAR on the MAIN SCALE 10 in. lbs. or any desired increment in between. EXAMPLE: If the bottom of the RED BAR is aligned with 15 in. lbs. and you want to raise the setting to 18 in. lbs. you pull and turn the RED LOAD KNOB until the number 8 appears in the Deputy Scale window. That means your torque setting is now 18 in. lbs. If you want to increase the torque setting from the 18 in. lb. to 20 in.lb., pull and turn the RED LOAD KNOB CW until a 0 appears in the Deputy Scale window. You will notice that the bottom of the RED BAR in the MAIN SCALE now aligns with 20 in. lbs. -your new desired setting.

Pulling and turning the RED Load Knob CW another 10 increments on the Deputy Scale will align the bottom of the RED BAR to 30 in. lb. on the Main Scale.

Pulling and turning the bottom Red Load Knob another 10 increments will align the bottom of the RED BAR to a 40 in.lb. setting.

Pulling and turning the bottom Red Load knob another 10 increments will align the bottom of the RED BAR to a 50 in.lb. setting.

Repeating the process again will align the bottom of the RED BAR to 60 in. lb. Doing it again will increase your torque setting to 70 in. lb. THAT IS THE MAX. CAPACITY OF THIS TOOL.

WHEN DONE ALWAYS PULL AND TURN THE RED BOTTOM LOAD KNOB CCW TO 0 TO RELEASE THE SPRING TENSION IN THE SCREWDRIVER.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-07-2022 at 05:46 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Torque Screwdriver Setting Instructions (San Laing)

This one?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
19Fordy

Yes, that's the one. DISREGARD MY INSTRUCTIONS in Post #1.
I found that my instructions worked for a few times. Then I could no longer get the correct torque setting I desired. THE READINGS WERE NOT CONSISTENT.

I am beginning to think this tool is JUNK, BUT will keep trying to find out what's wrong.
Wish I had another accurate in.lb torque wrench to check the accuracy of this one.

If anyone has one of these tools it will be appreciated if they will post instructions that work.

Does anyone know of an in-lb torque wrench that is accurate?

Harbor Freight is also JUNK.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-07-2022 at 06:11 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
Alaska Jim

my only inch-pound torque wrench is made by Snap-on, and is not a screwdriver type, but is a conventional type torque wrench. never seen anything like you show in the pictures
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:57 AM   #5
Terry,OH

Snap-On is accurate and can be recalibrated and checked. Suggest you stop at a Snap-On truck and ask to see if they can check yours
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
glennpm

Hi Jim,

I don't know if you need the screwdriver type but this Harbor Freight 1/4" could be used directly or to check the settings on your SanLaing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...nch-63881.html
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
Reds34

How about this Wheeler torque driver?

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accur...0003954&sr=8-2

I don't know how accurate they are.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post
How about this Wheeler torque driver?

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accur...0003954&sr=8-2

I don't know how accurate they are.

Red

Wheeler Manual Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench with Inch/Pounds Measurement, Bits and Storage Case for Scope Mounting, Gunsmithing and Maintenance

4.8 out of 5 stars

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote