Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default Anto Sway Bar, Rear Shocks on 1939 Deluxe Vert

Planning on installing this kit bought from B Drake this weekend. On my 39 right now, are the remnants from what we think is a Western Auto Store rear shocks which look very similar to the shock mounts included in this kit. It is located on the left rear backing plate and I have not removed it to see if the bolt holes line up. Dang I hope they do!

Both shocks have been removed as well as the shock mount from the right backing plate. The upper bolt is still in the backing plate but the lower bolt is gone and has been replaced by a short bolt.

In the cross frame member there are holes on each side which look like they would support the upper shock mount pegs.

While replacing all of the brake shoes, master cylinder and brake lines it appears obvious that a great trauma occurred some time in the past on the right rear wheel. Like maybe it hit a curb at high speed and removed the lower backing plate shock mount. I say this because the brake drum appears to have been replaced as it shows very little wear compared to the other drums which are worn past tolerance for turning. It also has a brand new "not-rusted" brake line running to it where all the other brake lines are very rusted looking and have been replaced.

Anyone who has made this modification successfully and has advice, this rookie will appreciate it

PS Many have advised to replace with the original Houdaille Shocks but I choose to go this way since there are tube type piston shocks already on the front wheels.

Last edited by Ramblin Reck; 08-12-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Correct my error about new bolt! It is important
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
42merc

Default Re: Anto Sway Bar, Rear Shocks on 1939 Deluxe Vert

The Drake rear sway bar, shock kit is the single best modification you can make on an early Ford.
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.
The tailpipe(s) will need to be modified.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
Ramblin Reck

Roger That!
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
blucar

When I converted the Columbia under my '36 from an original Columbia to a '47-48 unit I utilized the Ford Panhard/sway bar and tube shocks. The conversion really improved the handling of the car at speed on the hiway.
It should be noted that the Ford Panhard bar has a dip in it to clear the right tail-pipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.1.jpg (69.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.2.jpg (61.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
19Fordy

Ramblin Reck, Please post some photos of what you are doing, if possible.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #6
40cpe

I can't help with your original question, but IIRC, The FRONT sway bar was available first on the '40 ford. My understanding is that is not advisable to install a rear sway/roll bar without a front sway bar. I'm not poo-pooing your installation, but passing along info for you to consider. Maybe one has been added to your car.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #7
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I can't help with your original question, but IIRC, The FRONT sway bar was available first on the '40 ford. My understanding is that is not advisable to install a rear sway/roll bar without a front sway bar. I'm not poo-pooing your installation, but passing along info for you to consider. Maybe one has been added to your car.
My experience with a '40 coupe equipped with a Drake rear bar & a Chassis Engineering front bar told me there was no difference in handling if only the rear bar was installed. Testing involved freeway on ramps at speed.
I did use the CE bar at the front, but found the bar to large in diameter, making the ride to harsh. I exchanged the CE bar for a smaller diameter bar from a '50 Chevy (front). This proved to be a good mix, flat in the corners plus a decent ride.

I also have read many articles about "handling & chassis & suspension theory".

Last edited by 42merc; 08-12-2021 at 02:22 PM.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
blucar

From my experience I have found that generally people confuse Sway Bars/Panhard bars with body roll bars.
The bar that Ford added to the front end of the DeLux '40 Fords is actually a bar to control body roll-up on turns. The bar that Ford installed on the rear of the '47-48 Ford/Merc's is a Panhard tracking bar to keep the suspension aligned with the chassis, ie; sway bar.
On the pre-42 model Fords, Ford used very short shackle bars, therefore there is not much need for a sway/track bar. The 42-48 had longer shackles, cars that had long shackles for lowering purposes could experience better control on turns with a sway/track bar.
My '36 has later model springs due to the '48 rear axle and '41 front axle with later model shackle bushings and shackles, therefore, a Panhard Bar is very helpful.