Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
swedishsteel

Default 1936 car/ pickup vin question

Were the 1936 cars and pickups assigned their vin's in the same way; +18-xxxxxx+? Reason I ask: I have a three speed toploader transmission that was in a '36 pickup I purchased several years ago. Just got looking at it in detail and discovered the following: serial # +18 - 2763336+ (read + as star) which according to Vanpelt site is a 1936 model 68 (car). However, the case is a "T" version with the reinforcing rib on the full length of the bottom of the case, which Vanpelt thinks came out in the late 40's early 50's. It is still dirty and crusty as I haven't opened it up yet. Any insight from any of you guys with encyclopedic knowledge of our old Fords. Cheers. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 1936 car/ pickup vin question

It is not a VIN. Fords had serial numbers. A serial number was stamped on the flat at the rear of a transmission when the transmission was assembled. As a vehicle came down the assembly line a transmission was fitted into place and the serial number of that transmission was stamped onto the frame. Passenger cars and pickups used the exact same frame. The numbers should match on transmission and frame unless the transmission was swapped out sometime during its 81 year lifetime. (Oh,FWIW, use an astric (spell check not working) (*) as the star.)

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:42 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
(Oh,FWIW, use an astric (spell check not working) (*) as the star.)

Why would you use an "ASTERISK" .....when it's just as easy to use a ☆?

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 08-30-2021 at 10:06 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Why would you use an "ASTERISK" .....when it's just as easy to use a ?

Hey coop we don't want to use all the stars. We are saving those!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
swedishsteel

Sorry for my screw ups. I know it is a serial number, not a vin. And, I didn't see the star on my key board. You all did know what I meant. Now, anyone have any info per my original post? Anyone??
Old 08-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
DavidG

If your pickup is truly a pickup (i.e. it rides on a 112" wheelbase commercial vehicle chassis and not on a big truck chassis), there was no distinction in the engine number serialization prefix of '36 engines destined for passenger cars and commercial vehicles. In other words, if your pickup is a left-hand-drive version produced in the U.S. it will carry the same 18 prefix for its engine number as the car in front or in back of it on the assembly line.

To solve the mystery of the identity of the transmission case, you need to clean the back of it below the machined vertical machined surface to find its cast-in part number. If it has a 48-prefix part number, it is original for a '36 passenger car and commercial vehicle. If it has a different prefix, then it is not original and someone has changed the number on the top of the transmission bell housing (which is not unheard of).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If your pickup is truly a pickup (i.e. it rides on a 112" wheelbase commercial vehicle chassis and not on a big truck chassis), there was no distinction in the engine number serialization prefix of '36 engines destined for passenger cars and commercial vehicles. In other words, if your pickup is a left-hand-drive version produced in the U.S. it will carry the same 18 prefix for its engine number as the car in front or in back of it on the assembly line.

To solve the mystery of the identity of the transmission case, you need to clean the back of it below the machined vertical machined surface to find its cast-in part number. If it has a 48-prefix part number, it is original for a '36 passenger car and commercial vehicle. If it has a different prefix, then it is not original and someone has changed the number on the top of the transmission bell housing (which is not unheard of).

Thanks for the info
Old 08-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
swedishsteel

The casting number is 48-7006-H. No listing in the Green Bible
Old 08-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
DavidG

It is therefore a '35-'36 transmission case. The so-called Green Bible was published in 1948 and only includes parts that Ford was still offering for service at that time. Obviously that particular transmission case was not one of them, given that its last use in production was twelve years earlier.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
robib

If the serial number stamped on the frame, is not considered the "VIN" for Ford cars and commercial bodies from 1930(?) up, then what is considered the VIN?
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It is therefore a '35-'36 transmission case. The so-called Green Bible was published in 1948 and only includes parts that Ford was still offering for service at that time. Obviously that particular transmission case was not one of them, given that its last use in production was twelve years earlier.

Confirmed it is a '36 case, the curious "minds want to know part" is the reinforcing ridge along the bottom that Vanpelts site indicates was a later feature, calling it a "T" case. Does the "H" in the cast number indicate that ridge, possible indicating "heavy". Took the shifter off and it has '36 internals.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by robib View Post
If the serial number stamped on the frame, is not considered the "VIN" for Ford cars and commercial bodies from 1930(?) up, then what is considered the VIN?

The Vin is the vehicle identification number which usually has the serial number, some letters and symbols which can identify the paint color, upholstery type/color and engine type. On the early cars it was the serial or production number which ONLY indicates the sequential production number as it came off the assembly line.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
paul2748

To me, serial number is also the VIN because the serial identifies the vehicle. Sure, the later serial numbers also contained more identification of the vehicle but as I said, the serial number identified the vehicle as no other vehicle had the same number

Semantics??????
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 PM   #14
DavidG

Tom.

With respect, it wasn't "the sequential production number as it came off the the assembly line" on the early cars, but rather the sequential production number of the engine/transmission assembly as they came off the end of the line at the Dearborn Engine Plant. At the assembly plants around the country when the engine/transmission numbers were stamped on the chassis frame, the car ahead on the line could have a significantly higher number than the car behind on the line, etc. It was only a sheer coincidence if two cars on the assembly line had numbers one digit apart.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #15
swedishsteel

Yes, we are talking semantics and no one has an explanation for my '36 tranny case with "H" designation and reinforcing ridge on the bottom. ????????
Old 08-31-2021, 09:29 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

In 1954, vehicle ID numbers became MORE standardized, and began using at least 11 digits.

The term Vehicle Identification Number (rather than SERIAL NUMBER) came into standard use around 1968, which was the year that the US government required the VIN to be mounted on the dash at the lower, driver side of the windshield. Each make used their own standard, but certain data was now required such as make, engine size. Prior to this time, each state determined if the motor number, serial number or body number was to be used for registration purposes. In 1981, the term V.I.N. became standardized, and it became standard for ALL U. S. VIN numbers to contain SEVENTEEN digits. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 09-01-2021 at 02:32 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 PM   #17
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
Yes, we are talking semantics and no one has an explanation for my '36 tranny case with "H" designation and reinforcing ridge on the bottom. ????????
It is what it is, and that's all that can really be said of something 85 years old, especially with the many suppliers and cottage industries Ole Henry had doing work for him.

Live with it. (LOL)

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote