Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Gwill65074

Default What is a Touring Motor

I've been reading all the posts about Touring Motors trying to get my head around what it actually means and entails and I feel just as stupid today as I did when I decided to see if this is how I want an engine built for my Tudor.
Can I get some comments on what it is and why it is?
Some suggestions on what to have done and what not to have done?
Why specifically is it called a Touring Motor?
I can't get it into my head what the concept is about.
I have a Diamond engine I bought that I think would be a good candidate, but first, I'd like to understand why I should build a Touring Motor and then what things make a Touring Motor. Glen
Gwill65074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: What is a Touring Motor

http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/Ahwy.html
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
barkleydave

"Touring Engine" will have different meanings than others.

Many of us that are in clubs that tour.... you will find out quickly that often a bone stock Model A may have difficulty on long tours climbing hills.... winding roads etc.

Most of us like to keep thing looking as stock as possible. Here is a list of common upgrades.

1. 12 Volt conversion with 60 Amp alternator.
2. Halogen Headlamps, LED tail lights, Turn Signals Etc.
3. New high capacity Radiator (Berg, Brassworks etc.) Cooling is a huge concern touring.
4. Brakes, Brakes, Brakes! Cast iron drums
5. High Compression Head (very popular)
6. Overdrive (Very expensive however will lower RPMs a touring speeds and more gear ratios for climbing hills)
7. Leakless water pump. (just less coolant leaks)
8. Thermostat (some like some don't lots of comments in threads)
9. F.S. electronic ignition. (No points to wear out or change adjustment) Some love some hate.
10. Oil Filter. Allows full filtering of oil and longer oil change intervals.
11. Air filter (Some carbs do not like them and run too rich)
12. Temp gauge. ( feel very important can spot a problem before it becomes one)

There are lots more but gives you a basic idea.

1. Safety items first!
2. Reliability items second
3. Performance improvement

Our club will cruise at 40-45 mph most of the time. Faster on flat land close to 50. Our average daily run will be 100-150 miles.

Enjoy your A they are a blast and so are the people who like to roll them!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
newshirt

Stock Model A engines will go 55 all day long. But it's often a strain owners are not willing to put on an engine. So owners sometimes feel they cannot tour long distances. A few 'performance' parts, as listed on the AER site above ease that strain. The engine is smoother and not working as hard. The RPM's are still just as high without an overdrive, and the top speed is about the same, but you don't feel like the engine is going to come apart. So, you can tour long distances without worry. That's a touring engine.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Chris Haynes

Actually saying "Touring Motor" is incorrect. As I remember from school an "Engine" is a machine that converts fossil fuel energy into mechanical energy. A "Motor" is a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. So your vehicle is powered by an "Engine" and also has a "Starter Motor". ;-)
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Actually saying "Touring Motor" is incorrect. As I remember from school an "Engine" is a machine that converts fossil fuel energy into mechanical energy. A "Motor" is a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. So your vehicle is powered by an "Engine" and also has a "Starter Motor". ;-)

Chris,
Yes , that is what I was taught as well and in this new day and age of time the term ' motor' has been widely misused at least in my understanding
. But then so has everything else these days .

The touring engines in general are ones that have been built possibly wit insert bearings , lightened flywheels, high compression heads , etc all for a little more performance . I run a Ryan overdrive in my Tudor I've had in since the 80's and it too is a huge plus .
Whatever you decide to do with your 'engine' block I encourage you to look at all the options and choices and choose what will best serve you with what you can afford . A Snyder hc head would be at the top of my list at minimum. Even with a babbited engine.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Vicky

Touring Engines depend on the builder, but the changes usually involve: Inserted Rod & Main Bearings, Counterweighted and Balanced Crankshaft, Bronze or Aluminum Timing Gear, Higher Lift Camshaft (lobes may have greater seperation for broader power band) and a Higher Compression Head.

Carburation, Ignition and Exhaust System changes may also be involved to increase reliability or performance (there is a balance between performance and reliability).

Hope this helps clarify the changes.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Gwill65074

Motors-engines, engines-motors, I think we all know what I meant and other than a couple off the wall goofy response, I appreciate the info the sincere members offered. Guess this is no place for a stupid Hillbilly from Missouri.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwill65074 View Post
I've been reading all the posts about Touring Motors trying to get my head around what it actually means and entails and I feel just as stupid today as I did when I decided to see if this is how I want an engine built for my Tudor.
Can I get some comments on what it is and why it is?
Some suggestions on what to have done and what not to have done?
Why specifically is it called a Touring Motor?
I can't get it into my head what the concept is about.
I have a Diamond engine I bought that I think would be a good candidate, but first, I'd like to understand why I should build a Touring Motor and then what things make a Touring Motor. Glen
I never saw a description of the babbitt in that engine. It was sounding like a possible candidate for top end overhaul and ending up with an engine better than most rebuilds.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Motors-engines, engines-motors, I think we all know what I meant and other than a couple off the wall goofy response, I appreciate the info the sincere members offered. Guess this is no place for a stupid Hillbilly from Missouri.
If it wasn't raining, I'd like to motor on down the road and take my motor boat to the lake.

Or, should I say engine on down the road and take me engine boat to the lake.

I agree with Larry and would start with high compression head, and a counterweighted crankshaft. For lower engine RPM's I'd also like a 3.27 ring and pinion, or an overdrive.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I agree with what your saying but does that mean a "Motor Boat" is electric powered? Never heard of an "Engine Boat". I guess my point is there has always been some misnomer of the words.

Now back to the Main Feature...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Beat me Tom... You must have faster fingers in the Morn...

By the way MY Motor Boat also has an outboard Motor on it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
Gwill65074

Thank you
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
40 Deluxe

Go on YouTube and search for "Model A Coupe Hill Climb". Now there's my kind of touring engine! Also check out "4 banger hill climb" for more neat iron.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Normally I dont expect stupid shit like this from you. I think I have seen some very knowledgeable comment from you.
I think you have forgotten these cars were made by Ford Motor Company...down the road from General Motors....
Dig ol Henry up and tell him he was wrong, it should have been Ford Engine Company.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I'd like to understand why I should build a Touring Motor and then what things make a Touring Motor. Glen

Some feel there is a greater reliability in an engine with insert bearings, balanced crank, lightened flywheel and the the other things you have read here.

They may be right if they are driving their cars 10-20,000 miles a year. If I was driving that much I might do it myself.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Normally I dont expect stupid shit like this from you. I think I have seen some very knowledgeable comment from you.
I think you have forgotten these cars were made by Ford Motor Company...down the road from General Motors....
Dig ol Henry up and tell him he was wrong, it should have been Ford Engine Company.
X2 Rex
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
MikeK

Quote:
So, General Motors should actually be GE.
And General Electric, which made plenty of motors should be GM.
OK, now I'm really confused.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #19
Bob C

Don't see to many electric engines though.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #20
Fred K-OR

After the smoke clears from some of the above posts, I have a couple of simple ideas coming from a guy that is not a Model A expert but owns a couple of them.

First of all I would try to decide what type of touring I wanted to do. Is it just going around with your Model A club on some of their tours or is it wanting to run across the country.

Then if it is just touring around with your local club or just touring in your local area, I would consider the following:

1. Make sure your stock engine is in good shape and is maintained well-everything working and has good safety items installed(turn signals, seat belts, etc)

2. Have a two speed rear end installed. This will cut your RPM's needed by your engine, it would give you more of an ability to keep up with traffic and give you help going up hills.

If these two items are taken care of and your rig gives you what you want to do the touring you want to do, then you are ready to go. If it doesn't then consider some of the items mentioned above.

Hope this simple post doesn't prolong additional nonsense posts.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote